Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's not a good way to judge players no, but you know full well that Kroos played a massive part in all of those wins, so you're being obtuse for the sake of it.

That's not being obtuse. You agreed with me in your first sentence. I never devalued Kroos' contributions in any way, just pointed out that individuals shouldn't be judged on team trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

rob316 wrote: »
    Now antoine griezmann you would pay 100m for.

80m release clause in his new contract I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

CSF wrote: »
    That's not being obtuse. You agreed with me in your first sentence. I never devalued Kroos' contributions in any way, just pointed out that individuals shouldn't be judged on team trophies.

Its madness to judge a player on trophy haul

Robert Horry has more NBA rings than Jordan and Bryant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »

In Kroos' case it's not applicable in the slightest though, so I don't see the merit of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ASOT wrote: »
    80m release clause in his new contract I think.

So United would pay 100.

In Kroos' case it's not applicable in the slightest though, so I don't see the merit of the argument.

Off course its applicable

The other poster used it as a reason to rate a player

When its not a way to judge a player

Just because its Kroos doesnt make it less so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Zlatan isn't even the best striker in the city of Manchester , that would be Aguero.

Messi , Ronaldo , Suarez , Neymar and Bale are the top 5 players in the world currently

What has Aguero done to be proclaimed the top striker anywhere

We will agree to disagree

I dont think Neymar and Bale are top tier just yet

Aguero has scored an average of 25 goals a season in what could be described as the most competitive league in the world. Suarez and Aguero would have been on par during Suarez's time at lfc. He moved to Barcelona and is setting the world alight there. If you put aguero in that team in his place then aguero would be doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Aguero has scored an average of 25 goals a season in what could be described as the most competitive league in the world. Suarez and Aguero would have been on par during Suarez's time at lfc. He moved to Barcelona and is setting the world alight there. If you put aguero in that team in his place then aguero would be doing the same.

He was doing that in Liverpool aswell with a much weaker team around him to supply him with chances.

People put Aguero at the top because he plays in England

Its easy to dismiss Suarez scoring lots of goals at Barca

But hes done it everywhere hes gone

Aguero was the best striker in England

That title now belongs to Zlatan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Aguero is the best player in the league.

• Advertisement

I'd find it hard to disagree with that.

*goes to cry-puke in the corner*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Zlatan is not the best striker in the league. Agureo is. And if Kane continues as he has the last two years he will outscore him as well.

To be honest I think Martial would be much better utilised through the middle than an aging Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Zlatan is not the best striker in the league. Agureo is. And if Kane continues as he has the last two years he will outscore him as well.

To be honest I think Martial would be much better utilised through the middle than an aging Zlatan.
    An aging Zlatan that scored more goals last season than he ever has. Right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    And aging Zlatan that scored more goals last season than he ever has. Right....

Martial scored more premier league goals last season the Zlatan ever has ;-)

And aging Zlatan that scored more goals last season than he ever has. Right....

In a French League at a much slower pace.

PSG are by far and away the strongest team in the French League and they dominate 80% of their games.

Every team in the PL puts it up to the big boys and I don't see Zlatan scoring more than 15 goals in the league next year because he won't be afforded the time and space like he was in France.

Just because he had his highest scoring season last year doesn't mean he will again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oops Sorry lads I thought this was the 'Summer Transfer Window' thread. My mistake. Carry on.
    Must find that thread.

PSG are by far and away the strongest team in the French League and they dominate 80% of their games.

Every team in the PL puts it up to the big boys and I don't see Zlatan scoring more than 15 goals in the league next year because he won't be afforded the time and space like he was in France.

Just because he had his highest scoring season last year doesn't mean he will again next year.

You're talking as if Ibrahimovic has only ever played in France. Don't think we even need to discuss his goal scoring records in other leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Zlatan hasn't kicked a ball in England yet. I wouldn't crown him best anything just yet.

The bolded statement is simply not true as if it was the case every single match would go down to the wire and we all know that doesn't happen.

A 35 year old scoring 15 league goals would be a great achievement.How often does that happen in any major Euoropean league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jose knows what hes doing, he signed eto'o and Drogba to help out in his first 2 years at Chelsea, neither set the league on fire but at their ages it was expected. Their experience however and ability to lead the younger players and support them, is invaluable, ditto with Zlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Martial is better as left wing forward, much better than playing with his back to the goal.

Zlatan played in french league for 4 years and last season was his best. So "He did it in French league" excuse is not a valid one.

And overrating of PL continues. Who won player of the year last 2 seasons? Where did they come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Jose knows what hes doing, he signed eto'o and Drogba to help out in his first 2 years at Chelsea, neither set the league on fire but at their ages it was expected. Their experience however and ability to lead the younger players and support them, is invaluable, ditto with Zlatan.

Also Zlatan is not in decline too, he is in top physical condition and played most games in his career last season.

In a French League at a much slower pace...

Just checked the list of top scorers in France in recent years...

Lacazette
    Nene
    Giroud
    Sow
    Niang
    Gignac

I mean Gignac...that's borderline Dean Windass.

Ibrahimovic did enough in his career to merit great praise. But he may have stagnated in France...he certainly underwhelmed at the Euros.

Could he be another Shevchenko for Mourinho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lacazette
    Nene
    Giroud
    Sow
    Niang
    Gignac

Ibrahimovic did enough in his career to merit great praise. But he may have stagnated in France...he certainly underwhelmed at the Euros.

Well Shevchenko was foisted on Jose by Roman and he was forced to play him.

Plus there was a substantial transfer fee involved.

Plus its only a one year deal.

Apples and oranges IMO.

I'm not expectating Zlatan to come anywhere close to his scoring feats of last season, anyone that does is probably deluded.

We were utterly impotent in front of goal last season.

If he can contribute 15 to 20 goals in the league between scoring and assists then its money well spent and I will be delighted with that kind of return.

• OldRio wrote: »
    Oops Sorry lads I thought this was the 'Summer Transfer Window' thread. My mistake. Carry on.
    Must find that thread.

I could of swore Zlatan was transferred from PSG to Utd this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

inforfun wrote: »
    That is a bit of a painful one for me.
    Product of the Feyenoord academy but wasnt offered a contract.
    Left fro Almere City in the Jupiler league and scored a lot there already, considering the team he played for.
    AZ picked him up for peanuts, only scored 6 goals till the winter break.
    Dont know what was in his turkey he had for Christmas but he just cant stop scoring since then. A hat trick against Feyenoord as well.

In recent internationals basically claimed his spot as Hollands starting centre forward with scoring 3 in 5.

So he basically has had a fantastic 2nd half of the season..... Is that enough to pay €15 million (rumoured asking price)?
    I guess for a premier league club it is peanuts.

He is more a Dirk Kuyt than a Robin van Persie as it comes to playing style.

Telegraaf is a bit hit and miss. The have some very good info at times but come out with complete rubbish as well.
    There was a time when i only rated www.vi.nl as reliable with transfer news but they are slipping as well.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/az/26168934/__AZ_rekent_op_22_miljoen_euro_voor_Janssen__.html#voetbal/227/fixtures/

It looks like it is a done deal. Thank Christ we have a proper back-up now.

Now we are linked with Georginio Wijnaldum. Do you think he will fit in?

I think he was player of the year when PSV won the league. However, Depay was getting the praise.

Needless to say your opinions are always much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think Zlatan will do anything particularly great. He'll be useful but not nearly as effective as some people are hoping.

It's another Schweinsteiger transfer. I imagine he'll be more effective but he's not going to replicate anything close to his French scoring record.

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't think Zlatan will do anything particularly great. He'll be useful but not nearly as effective as some people are hoping.

It's another Schweinsteiger transfer. I imagine he'll be more effective but he's not going to replicate anything close to his French scoring record.

But I don't think anybody is expecting that.

I'd say most people are expecting around 15 league goals 20 in all competitions.

But I don't think anybody is expecting that.

I'd say most people are expecting around 15 league goals 20 in all competitions.

He could get more but it would likely be a case of flat track bullying. You could see him scoring three in a game then nothing for five games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I could of swore Zlatan was transferred from PSG to Utd this summer

correction Zlatan transferred himself to United.

• Advertisement

Lacazette
    Nene
    Giroud
    Sow
    Niang
    Gignac

In all fairnesss Windass isn't even close to the same level Gignac is at.

Gignac played quiet well at the Euros and has 30 caps for France (one of Euopes strongest countries).Windass never came close to playing for England.

I dont agree with that

Ozil for one is better than him

Aguero never regularly starts over Higuain for example

As I said I like Aguero but definitely not best player

Youre just proving my point about how blind fans of English football are

Aguero might be near him but Martial and Kane

Come on like

In all fairnesss Windass isn't even close to the same level Gignac is at.

Gignac played quiet well at the Euros and has 30 caps for France (one of Euopes strongest countries).Windass never came close to playing for England.

Get outta here with your logic

I dont agree with that

Ozil ?? He isn't the best player in the league at all that's nuts

I dont agree with that

Ozil ?? He isn't the best player in the league at all that's nuts , he isn't even the best player at arsenal because that falls to Alexis Sanchez .
    As you can see a lot of people agree with the whole aguero being better then zlatan . So I think your kind of wrong on this one

Ozil ?? He isn't the best player in the league at all that's nuts , he isn't even the best player at arsenal because that falls to Alexis Sanchez .
    As you can see a lot of people agree with the whole aguero being better then zlatan . So I think your kind of wrong on this one

Not really

The amount of people means nothing

For example Im sure loads of people agreed Hitler was right

And well they werent

Just because the masses think something doesnt make it true

Especially in a country where the Premier League is gosipal

There has been no point to prove Im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

People say if Zlatan got 15 goals in the league then it would be a success,Aguero is constantly in the race for top goal scorer,he would have won it this year but he was out for 2 months.Is Zlatan still better than Aguero.Aguero is easily the best player in the league,he has the stats to back it up aswell.

Most Arsenal fans won't agree with you that Sanchez is a better player than Ozil and I'd have to disagree too. Ozil is probably the most talented player we've had since Henry.

Alexis Sanchez is definitely not better than Ozil, you won't find many Arsenal fans agreeing with you on that one.

• Advertisement

Youre just proving my point about how blind fans of English football are

Aguero might be near him but Martial and Kane

Come on like

I didn't say Kane is better than him I said Kane will outscore him.

I also didn't say Martial was better than him I said it would be best playing him through the middle instead as Martial has just as much chance of scoring 15+ league goals next year as Zlatan and has a massive ceiling to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I also didn't say Martial was better than him I said it would be best playing him through the middle instead as Martial has just as much chance of scoring 15+ league goals next year as Zlatan and has a massive ceiling to improve.

How does he,hes 35 if anything and more than likely he will decline.

Alexis Sanchez is definitely not better than Ozil, you won't find many Arsenal fans agreeing with you on that one.

Well all my arsenal supporting mates rate him higher then ozil that's where I came out with that one

Most Arsenal fans won't agree with you that Sanchez is a better player than Ozil and I'd have to disagree too. Ozil is probably the most talented player we've had since Henry.

But he doesnt have the hustle and bustle

So the average fan will appreciate Sanchez more

Even though he had a spell at the end of the season where he was truly terrible

Not really

The amount of people means nothing

For example Im sure loads of people agreed Hitler was right

And well they werent

Just because the masses think something doesnt make it true

Especially in a country where the Premier League is gosipal

There has been no point to prove Im wrong

When aguero outscores zlatan next season you will see that you are wrong . I'm not knocking zlatan as a player but he has played in lesser leagues all his life this is the time for him to show can he do it in a proper league .
    His last 10 season of playing have only been in LA liga , Serie A and Ligue 1. They are much inferior in terms of competition to the premier league

Well all my arsenal supporting mates rate him higher then ozil that's where I came out with that one

Sanchez is brilliant when he's on form, but when he's bad, he's really bad. Constantly running into blind alleys and losing the ball. Still love the man of course, he's a matchwinner.

Ozil though, someone said Henry, but I think he's the best technician we've had since Bergkamp. And I consider Bergkamp the best player the league has ever seen, in my slightly biased opinion ;)

If Martial hits his potential

He will still do well to hit Zlatans peak

If he does he will be an amazing player

You referred to Kane and Martial as its easy to pick English based players

I suppose Vardy is better than Dybala sure he scored in England and Dybala scored in a inferior league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ozil had a greeat season last year for assists, I'd still prefer Sanchez if I was signing an Arsenal player tomorrow, who by his own standards was poor and out performed by Ozil.

Its like Willian at Chelsea, he had a much better season than Hazard last year but every man and his dog would prefer Hazard over Willian.

Although the gulf in class between Hazard and Willian is slightly higher than it is with Sanchez and Ozil, IMO.

How does he,hes 35 if anything and more than likely he will decline.

Who?

I'm saying Marital would be better utilised through the middle than Zlatan and would score 15 goals if played through the middle rather than Zlatan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When aguero outscores zlatan next season you will see that you are wrong . I'm not knocking zlatan as a player but he has played in lesser leagues all his life this is the time for him to show can he do it in a proper league .
    His last 10 season of playing have only been in LA liga , Serie A and Ligue 1. They are much inferior in terms of competition to the premier league

There is a lot of rubbish posted here but this has to be top of the list. Whatever about Ligue 1, but since when are la liga and seria A lesser leagues.

Advertisement