Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Pelle never had the big contracts so he is damn right to go there to fill his pockets/bags/suitcases with money now that he is 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

inforfun wrote: »
    Pelle never had the big contracts so he is damn right to go there to fill his pockets/bags/suitcases with money now that he is 30.

I've no problem with any footballer taking what they can for the club. Rather the players get it than the owners or shareholders.

Me neither.
    As long as they dont come with **** stories like Xavi (an interesting project) Hiddink (we are going to build schools and hospitals in Dagestan) did but just say to go for the money.

Me neither.
    As long as they dont come with **** stories like Xavi (an interesting project) Hiddink (we are going to build schools and hospitals in Dagestan) did but just say to go for the money.

As a United fan I'm always dismayed at other United fans attitudes towards Rooney "holding the club to ransom". He wanted paid s much as he could get, the same as pretty much every other person in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Me neither.

It's easy to be critical of players doing that, but in reality it's not fair to join a club and straight away make a statement saying I wouldn't touch this club with a bargepole but for the fact that they're literally paying me my weight in gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ERG89 wrote: »
    Barcelona have signed Lucas Digne for €16.5m rising to €20m based on add ons.
    Sevilla being strongly linked with Ganso too for €10m.

Lucas Digne is a strange one, Jordi Alba hardly leaving is he? And they have two left footed CBs to provide cover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Lucas Digne is a strange one, Jordi Alba hardly leaving is he? And they have two left footed CBs to provide cover

It's fitness concerns. Far too often last season the cover for Alba was woefully inadequate. Mathieu is a liability at left back (or anywhere really) and Vermaelen couldn't play LB for Barcelona. Grimaldo would have been an excellent option from the B team but alas he is now at Benfica because the commitment to youth isn't what it was. That being said, Digne has come in at a very reasonable price and should prove a good option in the squad. I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Digne umtitti and denis should help give barcas squad some much needed depth, don't think digne will ever amount to much there however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jayop wrote: »
    As a United fan I'm always dismayed at other United fans attitudes towards Rooney "holding the club to ransom". He wanted paid s much as he could get, the same as pretty much every other person in employment.

The difference is we all look for the best deal we can for ourselves but if you or I got a great deal we would be expected to perform or sack would happen. With Rodney's contract he has United over a barrel if he continues playing ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The difference is we all look for the best deal we can for ourselves but if you or I got a great deal we would be expected to perform or sack would happen. With Rodney's contract he has United over a barrel if he continues playing ****e

I don't know about you but my job would have no case to sack me if I performed to the level Rooney does. They might not be queueing upto promote me but they'd be paying a big payout if they tried to sack someone for performing reasonably competently. This isn't a football thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

MD1990 wrote: »
    No that's right it was Lazio. He missed one against Milan in a different game.

It's OK lads Higuain wouldn't be taking the penos at Arsenal. We have Ozil to miss those :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Subotic to Boro done subject to a work permit. They've done some cracking business so far this summer. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Seriously what is life. I don't understand this at all.
    I hadn't realised there had been a takeover there. It would be nice to see them competing again. Joao Mario looks a decent player, not 50m decent but sure that's the way it is now.

Looks like the Italians have found a way to compete in spite of FFP. Since the TV money and prize money is nowhere near the same level in Italy, Italian football has been locked in and unable to expand or evolve through investment, until this piece of ingenuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coral/status/753601687940726785?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Some business done indeed and a wee bit more to do. Interesting times for the Boro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Alot people forget Karanka is held in high regard in spain hence the big names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd imagine it's more to do with the money on offer. I wonder if Boro are taking a big gamble on staying up?

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's more to do with the money on offer. I wonder if Boro are taking a big gamble on staying up?

The Boro were in liquidation in 1986. Steve Gibson took over shortly after that. He knows what he his doing. No foreign investment. A local lad loving his football.

As for players only signing for the Boro for money. Jaysus lads cop yerself on. They are all mercenaries. Do they love Man U or Liverpool or Arsenal? Money
    rules and do you blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

OldRio wrote: »
    The Boro were in liquidation in 1986. Steve Gibson took over shortly after that. He knows what he his doing. No foreign investment. A local lad loving his football.

As for players only signing for the Boro for money. Jaysus lads cop yerself on. They are all mercenaries. Do they love Man U or Liverpool or Arsenal? Money
    rules and do you blame them?

Jesus chill out. I didn't say anything about being mercenaries and wouldn't begrudge anyone making as much money as they can in a shot career.

My point, against your rant, is that it would seem to me that Boro are offering high wages to get these players to join, because 1. It's a dull part of England for European people and 2. I'm sure other clubs were interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Can see Negredo doing well. Never got a real chance at City but I thought he did well whenever he played.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Jesus chill out. I didn't say anything about being mercenaries and wouldn't begrudge anyone making as much money as they can in a shot career.

My point, against your rant, is that it would seem to me that Boro are offering high wages to get these players to join, because 1. It's a dull part of England for European people and 2. I'm sure other clubs were interested.

Apologies... it was not meant to be a rant against yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd be concerned about Karanka this season. He cried off for a few days after having a meltdown when the team were coming under a lot of pressure due to a poor run of results in February/March. Under the Premier League spotlight he might break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about Karanka this season. He cried off for a few days after having a meltdown when the team were coming under a lot of pressure due to a poor run of results in February/March. Under the Premier League spotlight he might break.

I hope Karanka works out - his heart is in the right place and is a real football man- I just hope this is the year Pullis is found out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

OldRio wrote: »
    Valencia defender and ex Liverpool player Antonio Barragan could be on his way to Boro.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/antonio-barragan-middlesbrough-fc-close-11602278

Didn't he leave Liverpool due tohomesickness? He's either matured through it or he'll have no interest in moving away again. Liverpool were reluctant to let him go originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

razorblunt wrote: »
    Didn't he leave Liverpool due tohomesickness? He's either matured through it or he'll have no interest in moving away again. Liverpool were reluctant to let him go originally.

Tbf, it's been ten years since he left Liverpool!! He's 29 now.
    I remember they included a buy-back on him (or first preference maybe?) but never used it so there couldn't have been that much regret in the long run.
    I think it took quite a while for him to get to the point where he was consistently good enough - six years and two clubs between leaving Liverpool and joining Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Italian newspapers have Juventus going after Higuain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Italian newspapers have Juventus going after Higuain

Him and Dybala up front would be a frightening prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Degag wrote: »
    Can see Negredo doing well. Never got a real chance at City but I thought he did well whenever he played.

He played over 80 games for City. At one point he went on a 15+ match goal drought iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

If juve sign higuian along with pjanic they've massively weakned their closest rivals for the season. Name on the trophy already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

AdamD wrote: »
    He played over 80 games for City. At one point he went on a 15+ match goal drought iirc

He played less than 50 games for City. He was only there for a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

23 goals in 48 games in just one season according to Wiki. He got 9 in 32 Prem games, I remember he was banging them in in the cups.

He does seem to have suffered since that City move. A guy who who scored nearly a goal every other game in Spain before he went there, now averages a goal every five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My bad, read his wiki wrong. He did have a ~15 game goal drought though which is horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm kinda surprised their have been less Mahrez stories.

There was the whole Vardy to Arsenal situation which lead to him getting a new Leicester deal
    Kante is now off to Chelsea

but Mahrez who was exceptional for the champions... not much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

klose wrote: »
    If juve sign higuian along with pjanic they've massively weakned their closest rivals for the season. Name on the trophy already.

Juve won't lose a serie a until Milan or Inter win it. Roma or Napoli haven't the stomach for a fight. I doubt they'll sell Higuian to Juve or swap him with Giroud who in comparison is....a terrible player. I imagine he'll go to PSG as he probably wants money.
    Moussa Sissoko linked with Dortmund.....its rubbish but only wanted to mention how hard working and imaginative his agent is as he's been linked with about 10 teams this week alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

AdamD wrote:

And only left because his wife and family just didn't settle in England.. So it'll be interesting to see how he gets on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://news.sky.com/story/julian-draxler-staying-at-wolfsburg-10502490

Draxler "100% staying" at Wolfsburg according to club sporting director Klaus Allofs.

"With Julian Draxler it will be 100 per cent like this," he told German website Sport1. "He will stay. There is no discussion."

Also says they want Schurrle to stay and become a leader at the club but say it is up to him to decide on Dortmund interest.

There was the whole Vardy to Arsenal situation which lead to him getting a new Leicester deal

Well, he wasnt at the euros so didnt show it on the big stage :confused: ?
    Vardy is English.
    Kante was at the euros.

I am not serious but it is the only explanation i can think off.

Edit:
    Then again, a rather good euros doesnt always result in a glamorous transfer.
    Iceland goalkeeper Haldarsson from NEC Nijmegen to Randers in Denmark.....

Imo it's going to be much harder for Mahrez to maintain his form than Kante. Kante doesn't need to step up a level he just needs to be consistent in what he does.

That's likely the reluctance to go for Mahrez. Another good season and clubs will be all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty much every striker goes through droughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

zerks wrote: »

If that's true then hats off to Chelsea. Best piece of business of the transfer window sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Edit:
    Then again, a rather good euros doesnt always result in a glamorous transfer.
    Iceland goalkeeper Haldarsson from NEC Nijmegen to Randers in Denmark.....

Tbh he didn't look the most solid of keepers from what I saw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

quad_red wrote: »
    If that's true then hats off to Chelsea. Best piece of business of the transfer window sorted.

He may not be anywhere near as effective in a team who are expected to dominate possession more than Leicester were.

kfallon wrote: »
    Tbh he didn't look the most solid of keepers from what I saw!
    Nope, kind of goalkeeper of the level you expect normally from a team like Iceland.
    When at NEC he got injured, NEC brought in Brad Jones and he kept his place when Haldarsson was fit again. Ended up on loan in Norway (iirc) in order to play and stay Iceland's no1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He may not be anywhere near as effective in a team who are expected to dominate possession more than Leicester were.

You still have to win the ball back at some stage and nobody was better across europe last year than him for doing that.

That being said, I'm not 100% convinced on him and have similar reservations as yourself around his ability to help a team that probably will play more a possesion based game than a quick counter and sit in until that trap can be sprung.

Time will tell if hes a 1 season wonder or a really good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think he's a quite limited footballer. I don't think he'll have nearly as much impact at Chelsea as he did at Leicester.

Some business by Leicester though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just saw on sky sports deutschland that gotze has gone to dortmund so looks like Liverpool need to dream on about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think he's a quite limited footballer. I don't think he'll have nearly as much impact at Chelsea as he did at Leicester.

Thats what hes expected to do at Chelsea, assuming he joins.

Break up play, stop attacks, play it simple, unless Matic re-discovers his old self and isnt sold, we've nobody at Chelsea to do it.

Nobody expects Kante to re-invent himself as a #10 or a box to box all action CM that scores 10+ goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Not everyone in the team has to be an outstanding footballer, and limited footballer is harsh, he's actually pretty decent with the ball. Kante will be perfect for Conte's system and I've no doubt will turn out to be a brilliant signing. I'm sure Leicester would rather keep him than get the £30million, they are losing one of their best players for a relatively low enough fee in today's market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

irishchris wrote: »
    Just saw on sky sports deutschland that gotze has gone to dortmund so looks like Liverpool need to dream on about him
    I don't think too many were dreaming about him,you might be in the wrong forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement