Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hopefully Gotze gets back to the player he was before he left Dortmund.

I wonder how the fans will react to him coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

irishchris wrote: »
    Just saw on sky sports deutschland that gotze has gone to dortmund so looks like Liverpool need to dream on about him

Dream on ? They seemed to make an offer or discussed a transfer potentially and it looked like it wasn't going to happen and signed Mane instead.

• Hopefully Gotze gets back to the player he was before he left Dortmund.

IMO He looked unfit / overweight at the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Reckon its a bullet dodged by Liverpool/Spurs

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hopefully Gotze gets back to the player he was before he left Dortmund.

Hasnt played a whole lot this year to be fair and he was also injured at some stage too aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

quad_red wrote: »
    If that's true then hats off to Chelsea. Best piece of business of the transfer window sorted.

hard to warm to him joining the Galatico billionaires at Chelsea , unless you are a Chelsea fan - as a neutral, would have had much more respect if had stayed and helped Leicester through Eurupe - that is if the story is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

As a Utd fan I'd be disgusted if we bought Pogba for over €100m, you can't price things in Sterling these days because it's fluctuating too much to keep track of it's equivalent value unless it's Raheem Sterling which is just worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

PEC Zwolle has taken Hachim Mastour on loan from AC Milan.
    Curious how he ll do there.
    Was on loan at Malaga last season but that wasnt a success. Only played 5 minutes.
    Minutes, yes. Not matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Korat wrote: »
    As a Utd fan I'd be disgusted if we bought Pogba for over €100m, you can't price things in Sterling these days because it's fluctuating too much to keep track of it's equivalent value unless it's Raheem Sterling which is just worthless.

As a United fan, I'd be thrilled with Pogba for €100m (though it's €120 being touted). He's incredibly young, homegrown (iirc) and is possibly one of the best talents of his generation. When you see Martial for €80m, and the prices the likes of Sterling, Suarez, Bale, hell even Deeney are going for, then €120m for a player of his level and potential looks spot on the money. The idea of Pogba back in a United shirt makes me giddy, especially with Jose at the helm.

I worry some people don't appreciate the inflation that has occured in the football market, thanks to the TV money in the Premier League, Real/Barca's Galactico mentality, the money coming from China and so on and so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Everton being heavily linked with a new bag of footballs.

Jaysus I wish they'd sign someone decent with the bags of cash that Moshiri supposedly has.

Gavlor wrote: »

Jaysus I wish they'd sign someone decent with the bags of cash that Moshiri supposedly has.

I'd have been delighted with Matta - getting slightly worried by lack of activity - decades of broken promises leave me fearing the - no news on Stadium either , and re-naming 2 old stands ... I suppose Koeman was a statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

SSN saying that Martin Skrtel has passed his medical at Fenerbahce

Looks like he got over there just in time.

Another couple of days and Liverpool would have been stuck with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

irishchris wrote: »
    Just saw on sky sports deutschland that gotze has gone to dortmund so looks like Liverpool need to dream on about him

In fairness it was fairly hilarious that some Liverpool fans actually thought they had a chance of signing Mario Gotze!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Korat wrote: »
    As a Utd fan I'd be disgusted if we bought Pogba for over 100m, you can't price things in Sterling these days because it's fluctuating too much to keep track of it's equivalent value unless it's Raheem Sterling which is just worthless.

Suarez, Bale.

Two of those are in the top 5 players in the world , Suarez was worth every penny of the fee and bale has also proved he is worth the money. You don't see too many British players making it in Europe and he is one of them and has been excellent for Madrid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Two of those are in the top 5 players in the world , Suarez was worth every penny of the fee and bale has also proved he is worth the money. You don't see too many British players making it in Europe and he is one of them and has been excellent for Madrid .

Everyone knew Suarez was worth that if not more when he was sold. That Bale deal was huge at the time and a lot of people thought it was crazy money, yes Bale has proved (eventually) he was worth the money. Pogba will be under pressure to perform but I wouldn't think it's crazy money, we are buying from a club who don't wanna sell and when ya take into consideration the fees bandied about in this window there has been a big inflation in player prices.

(I say eventually about Bale because even last summer there was rumours he'd be sold because the fans didn't think he was working hard enough for the team)

I wouldn't be disgusted by any price anymore tbh, the Troy Deeney figure will stick with me for a long time though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

BREAKING: @sscnapoli agree £2million fee with @SunderlandAFC for Emanuele Giaccherini.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/754268302638194688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Arbeloa signs with AC Milan

http://en.as.com/en/2016/07/15/football/1468618955_770933.html

A one year deal with an option of a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Leaves the champions too go to a mid-table side,money must have been too good for him to turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Leaves the champions too go to a mid-table side,money must have been too good for him to turn down.

One season finishing 10th, clearly Chelsea are on the road to finishing mid table every year for the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:
    Kante said: ‘The opportunity to work with Antonio Conte, a brilliant coach, and some of the best players in the world was simply too good to turn down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

In all honesty, I'd be shocked if Leicester finish above Chelsea this season. Good move for Kante, hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sensible move from Kanté. His stock was never likely to be higher, and let's be honest, none of us know how Leicester will do next season. I doubt the players do.

They've their careers to think of. Mahrez and Vardy would also be seriously nuts not to consider a move.

On paper, they're leaving the Champions and giving up Champions League for a year, but long term, both financially and in terms of career development, a move to a more established big club is prudent.

I'm fairly sure we'd all strongly consider it if we were in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote: »
    One season finishing 10th, clearly Chelsea are on the road to finishing mid table every year for the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

Tbf I doubt he was that interested in working with Conte as an excuse to move. Leicester are highly unlikely to replicate last season but id love once for a player to say Money & London helps.
    Don't get Milan signing Arbeloa they already have 4 full backs who are better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

SlickRic wrote: »
    Sensible move from Kanté. His stock was never likely to be higher, and let's be honest, none of us know how Leicester will do next season. I doubt the players do.

They've their careers to think of. Mahrez and Vardy would also be seriously nuts not to consider a move.

On paper, they're leaving the Champions and giving up Champions League for a year, but long term, both financially and in terms of career development, a move to a more established big club is prudent.

I'm fairly sure we'd all strongly consider it if we were in the same position.

I'm sure he would be ok, financially, to play one more season with Leicester. I'm also sure he would still get a big bucks move next season regardless, even if he was below par this season compared to last.

I honestly think he should have stayed. Its not a bad crreer move, of course but who knows, Chelsea may not get Champions league football next season either.
    In fact I'd put United, City, Arsenal ahead of them and then its a battle with two decent teams in Spurs and Liverpool. Most likely they will given their position, in terms bof no Euro football but I think Kante should have dedicated another year or even 6 months to the club.

Its no way a bad move but Champ League football this year would have more of a benefit, in terms of career development than a year of that.

Leicester also would have "risked"losing a couple of million on the sale clause just for one more year. Its not the sign they want to send out either to supporters (not tht the fans wont be angry, more sad and expectant, at his departure)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    In all honesty, I'd be shocked if Leicester finish above Chelsea this season. Good move for Kante, hope he does well.

They most definitely won't but one year for the sake of champions league with a club that has really given him the exposure to show how excellent he is would be a nice display of loyalty. He owes them nothing, but in a way he kind of does? Two ways to look at it. Leicester wouldn't have won the league without him but he may not have experienced the career development without being so pivotal in the team. One yer, even just 6 months.

Superb player, deserves to make his own decision and noone can begrudge him however.

Everton? Are they still a club?

Christ, that club has so much potential now to become a huge player in the league but it is showing less and less ambition every year. Must be frustrating for fans ( I read somewhere that there is more Everton fans than Pool fans in Liverpool itself.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Simon Cox signs for Southend. Delighted with that.

Christ, that club has so much potential now to become a huge player in the league but it is showing less and less ambition every year. Must be frustrating for fans ( I read somewhere that there is more Everton fans than Pool fans in Liverpool itself.)

Your thinking of Manchester when it comes to the fans divide , it seems very 50/50 in the city of Liverpool

Your thinking of Manchester when it comes to the fans divide , it seems very 50/50 in the city of Liverpool

Not sure thought I read Everton but it does seem unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sensible move by Kante. I'd be very surprised if Leicester finish top 6 next year. I'd imagine most of the Leicester players would leave for any of the other top 6 from last year. I know vardy turned down arsenal but that seems to be more because of fears of playing time. I think vardy will be found out a bit next season anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think Leicester will still do well next season. They're only down Kante so far right? Pretty big player to be without but they have plenty of money to spend now on his replacement. Biggest worry will be European football during the week now but that's a nice worry to have.

SlickRic wrote: »

Why ??? - Just rip up a good team that showed everything good in football and goto a team of billionaires - Leicester is what keeps the Premiership interesting , if it was just all about Chelsea and City's billions, it would be a bore fest - Vardy will stay anyway - thankfully.
    Leicester players are well paid - as are all Premiership players , where career is hardly a worry - too well paid

thebaz wrote: »
    Why ??? - Just rip up a good team that showed everything good in football and goto a team of billionaires - Leicester is what keeps the Premiership interesting , if it was just all about Chelsea and City's billions, it would be a bore fest - Vardy will stay anyway - thankfully.
    Leicester players are well paid - as are all Premiership players , where career is hardly a worry - too well paid
    It's not Kante's job to be the ambassador for the underdog story. Like all footballers he's gonna wanna win as much and earn as much as possible before his short career (in relative terms) ends.

CSF wrote: »
    It's not Kante's job to be the ambassador for the underdog story. Like all footballers he's gonna wanna win as much and earn as much as possible before his short career (in relative terms) ends.

Leicester supposedly offered him a 100k stg a week -if thats eneogh for a lifetime , i really do give up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Kante more than rewarded Leicester by being a pivotal part of a team that won the premiership title. He owes them nothing.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Kante more than rewarded Leicester by being a pivotal part of a team that won the premiership title. He owes them nothing.

apart form launching his career - Football is a team sport - Leicester won the league by being a team - not a group of mercenaries

Leicester supposedly offered him a 100k stg a week -if thats eneogh for a lifetime , i really do give up

Chelsea probably offered him more. Do you go around complaining about singers who go on arena tours of the world who already earn enough for a lifetime or is this criticism of ambition solely reserved for footballers?

Chelsea probably offered him more. Do you go around complaining about singers who go on arena tours of the world who already earn enough for a lifetime or is this criticism of ambition solely reserved for footballers?

not sure what my opinion on music has to do here - but for the record , my interest is more into DIY punk , dance and early Hip Hop - have little interest in the bling of Rap superstars or Superstar Dance DJ's or rock acts - I loved the Leicester story - a real team - and hate seen it destroyed.

not sure what my opinion on music has to do here - but for the record , my interest is more into DIY punk , dance and early Hip Hop - have little interest in the bling of Rap superstars or Superstar Dance DJ's or rock acts - I loved the Leicester story - a real team - and hate seen it destroyed.

Ok you're a fan of the little guy, great. Just don't be too upset when the little guy doesn't share your opinions on Cinderella stories and wants to be a big guy.

• Advertisement

Ok you're a fan of the little guy, great. Just don't be too upset when the little guy doesn't share your opinions on Cinderella stories and wants to be a big guy.

whatever - we obviously have polar opposite tastes in life - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool got CL a couple of seasons back and didn't attract a higher calibre of player. There is no chance Leicester will all of a sudden be a club that proven players will want to go to. Leicesters better players will still feel there are a good few clubs in the PL they would prefer to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Liverpool got CL a couple of seasons back and didn't attract a higher calibre of player. There is no chance Leicester will all of a sudden be a club that proven players will want to go to. Leicesters better players will still feel there are a good few clubs in the PL they would prefer to play for.

It's all about the signing on fees as well.

Big moves are what make footballers really rich.

#robbiekeane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A good few? Outside of the two Manchester teams, Chelsea and maybe Arsenal I don't think there is much difference between Leicester and anybody else.
    With the new tv deal and them being in the Champion's league they will be able to match if not beat the wages outside of those four sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

eagle eye wrote: »
    A good few? Outside of the two Manchester teams, Chelsea and maybe Arsenal I don't think there is much difference between Leicester and anybody else.
    With the new tv deal and them being in the Champion's league they will be able to match if not beat the wages outside of those four sides.

You don't think a club like Liverpool under Klopp or Spurs with London are a bigger draw than Leicester? Leicester were a once off in a perfect storm. They'll have Champions League this year and that will be that. If they manage to parlay last seasons success into anything more than a once off it will be a bigger miracle than them winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Which reminds me, must stick 50 quid on Leicester to win the champions league this season.

• Advertisement

Which reminds me, must stick 50 quid on Leicester to win the champions league this season.

100/1

RoboKlopp wrote:
    100/1

Free money.

Can't wait for PP to offer me a massive cash out next march/april

Actually 100/1 is a terrible price. Was hoping for 2500/1 or similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2500/1 for the Premier league champions to win the ECL? 100/1 is a ridiculously good price.

Joke?

I can't recall longer odds on any team retaining any title in any sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement