Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Crazy money. If Pogba was an attacking player who was going to score 30+ goals a season, then maybe you could justify this fee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Unearthly wrote: »
    Seems like Juve want the 100, and man Utd to pay the 20

That doesn't make sense. That makes the fee £120m and the agent fee less that 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RobertKK wrote: »
    Pogba said to be committed to United.

If he'd done that 4 years ago they could have saved the guts of €150m.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That doesn't make sense. That makes the fee £120m and the agent fee less that 20%

Well it's Juve negotiating with man Utd and the agent so I'm sure the 20% can be changed. Agent still gets his big fee, Juve get extra money, man Utd get their man.

Latest reports saying no contact has been made today so it could be all fairytale crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

100 million on a player that would't get in the Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich teams is a telling sign that the money in the Premier League is so far beyond what any other league can offer, but also that we must all reconsider what the norm is for a Premier League club is when they buy a player. 100 million is the new 50 million, 30 million is the new 15 million ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pogba would waltz into any team in world football, United are just the only team that can afford him at this particular moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The tickle down effect is enormous as well though - for Pogba once the agent has pocketed his cut Juventus can cover their entire summer budget and then some. They are laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

100 million on a player that would't get in the Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich teams is a telling sign that the money in the Premier League is so far beyond what any other league can offer, but also that we must all reconsider what the norm is for a Premier League club is when they buy a player. 100 million is the new 50 million, 30 million is the new 15 million ect.
    Pogba would get in Barca's team ahead of Rakitic. Real he would be in for Casemeiro & in a midfield 3 with Kroos & Modric. Kroos is brillant but not been at his best for Real either. Bayern he would definitely start ahead of Thiago who has been off form & injury prone & most likely Xabi Alonso too.
    Pogba is overpriced & possibly a bit overated but he is a brillant player.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Pogba would get in Barca's team ahead of Rakitic. Real he would be in for Casemeiro & in a midfield 3 with Kroos & Modric. Kroos is brillant but not been at his best for Real either. Bayern he would definitely start ahead of Thiago who has been off form & injury prone & most likely Xabi Alonso too.
    Pogba is overpriced & possibly a bit overated but he is a brillant player.

Absolutely not. Certainly he has more potential than Rakitic but nowhere near the required discipline nor has he ever displayed anything close to the smarts needed to play in Barcelona's midfield 3. He's a poor holding midfielder, to the point where Deschamps didn't trust him for a portion of the Euros to play as part of a double pivot, not a chance he'd be trusted to play as a single pivot. Thiago is so much more developed than he is, so much more clever, far more versatile. Wouldn't play lone pivot so not over Alonso either.

He's a player with potential who needs the right coaching. He's got a high ceiling but people confuse clips and moments with 90 minutes week in, week out. I've seen him on a fairly regular basis each over the course of 90 minutes, I'm not sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Pogba would waltz into any team in world football, United are just the only team that can afford him at this particular moment in time.

Only non-Chinese team ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Difference between only team that can afford him and only team willing to spend the money. Fairly sure if City wanted to spend 100m on a player they could. They just don't feel the need to. United have floundered for the last 3 years so they need to take emergency measures. It started with hiring a coach the originally rejected for David Moyes and continues with spending 200m in one transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Alistair Campbell be proud of some of the spin in this thread lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Absolutely not. Certainly he has more potential than Rakitic but nowhere near the required discipline nor has he ever displayed anything close to the smarts needed to play in Barcelona's midfield 3. He's a poor holding midfielder, to the point where Deschamps didn't trust him for a portion of the Euros to play as part of a double pivot, not a chance he'd be trusted to play as a single pivot. Thiago is so much more developed than he is, so much more clever, far more versatile. Wouldn't play lone pivot so not over Alonso either.

He's a player with potential who needs the right coaching. He's got a high ceiling but people confuse clips and moments with 90 minutes week in, week out. I've seen him on a fairly regular basis each over the course of 90 minutes, I'm not sold.

If United are buying him as a single pivot, and not to play him on the left of a midfield 3 where he's sensational for Juvé, or in the 'Lampard role', then they're fúcking morons. For the love of Christ, he's not a DM.

José is not a moron unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Manchester City seem to be pursuing Leroy Sané quite hard, with Pep now publicly saying 'he knows the difference between Man City and Schalke. And it's huge. We'll see what happens'.

Classy.

What happened to managers just saying 'he's not our player, we won't talk about it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Madrid looking for £65m from Chelsea for Morata, now that is crazy. Makes Pogba look a bargain.

If Madrid do manage to get that, United need to hurry up and close the deal for Pogba, Madrid could well be selling him to finance a move for Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Of course Pogba would make it at Real or Barca can't believe people are arguing otherwise. Is he worth what they are paying? No, even in the current climate. Does that really matter? United are rich as fúck and want CL football, why not just go for it. It will actually be refreshing to see an English club get a player who was earmarked for Real/Barca.

Whether the price is worth it or not it's a horrible piece of business for United; they let him go for free about 3 years ago. I don't think anyone can argue that it is a 'good value' deal based on that. If he ends up lording it and United are winning league titles under Mourinho I don't think any United fans will care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The fee is crazy but Pogba is 23 and world class, he has the potential to take United back to the top. You can bet Jose will use him correctly as well. They are overpaying but they can afford the fee so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

On Pogba.

Its massive money. Is it value? Not in my opinion but i'm no authority on it. It is great for the PL though to see a team buying a player earmarked for the big 2 in Spain. United will probably need to add in a few more players though. I thought Jose would have been more active but you might see players improve drastically from his presence there alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

slingerz wrote: »
    On Pogba.

Its massive money. Is it value? Not in my opinion but i'm no authority on it. It is great for the PL though to see a team buying a player earmarked for the big 2 in Spain. United will probably need to add in a few more players though. I thought Jose would have been more active but you might see players improve drastically from his presence there alone

3 players in already and breaking the bank for pogba, how many players more do you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SlickRic wrote: »
    Manchester City seem to be pursuing Leroy Sané quite hard, with Pep now publicly saying 'he knows the difference between Man City and Schalke. And it's huge. We'll see what happens'.

Classy.

What happened to managers just saying 'he's not our player, we won't talk about it'.

The majority of managers are coy about transfers, some however, dont have it in them to be that way.

Sane is a good player but 40-45m, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

jive wrote: »
    Of course Pogba would make it at Real or Barca can't believe people are arguing otherwise. Is he worth what they are paying? No, even in the current climate. Does that really matter? United are rich as fúck and want CL football, why not just go for it. It will actually be refreshing to see an English club get a player who was earmarked for Real/Barca.

Whether the price is worth it or not it's a horrible piece of business for United; they let him go for free about 3 years ago. I don't think anyone can argue that it is a 'good value' deal based on that. If he ends up lording it and United are winning league titles under Mourinho I don't think any United fans will care.

Pogba leaving United on a free has already happened, it should have no consideration when signing him now. United need to judge whether the transfer is worth it on its merits. Mentioning him leaving is just irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    Pogba leaving United on a free has already happened, it should have no consideration when signing him now. United need to judge whether the transfer is worth it on its merits. Mentioning him leaving is just irrelevant.

Whatever way you look at it, there's no doubt that it was a hugely expensive mistake by Fergie to not do more to accommodate him into the squad. Both with the transfer fee and the fact that United could really have done with him on the pitch for the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Andy Hunter of the Guardian claiming Juve and Everton are ready to meet Newcastle's £35m valuation of Sissoko.

The world has gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this the most expensive re-signing ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Newcastle owner gets a lot of sh*t but he made a good call refusing to sell Sissoko before the EUROs. His price has more than doubled from what his agent told HSV he would cost. We tried to sign him, but Ashley said no. He wanted to wait until after the tournament to sell.

--

Götze back to Dortmund is confirmed now, as is Halilovic to HSV. Picked van der Vaart's old number. I love him already ❤

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

SlickRic wrote: »

Most do say this but then go on to talk about that player :rolleyes:

Mark Hughes yesterday on Berahino, "He's not our player so I don't want to talk about him.....BUT.....we've made a couple of bids and would like to bring him here!"

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The majority of managers are coy about transfers, some however, dont have it in them to be that way.

Sane is a good player but 40-45m, I'm not sure.

If Pogba is worth 100 million then Sane is definitely worth at least 40 million.

Is this the most expensive re-signing ever?

no shít sherlock, given it's the most expensive signing ever.

some people :rolleyes:

greendom wrote: »
    Whatever way you look at it, there's no doubt that it was a hugely expensive mistake by Fergie to not do more to accommodate him into the squad. Both with the transfer fee and the fact that United could really have done with him on the pitch for the last 3 seasons.

The other side of that is, would he have started at Utd and given the game time he was given at Juventus to turn into the player he is now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sissoko is not worth 35m. But he is a very good player. He would be a great signing for Everton or Juventus. I remember 2 seasons ago he had the most chances created in the PL only problem Newcastle had no one to finish them.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The other side of that is, would he have started at Utd and given the game time he was given at Juventus to turn into the player he is now?

With the state of United's midfield over the last few seasons I can't think of a single reason why he wouldn't have been playing.

With the state of United's midfield over the last few seasons I can't think of a single reason why he wouldn't have been playing.

he was given chances and didn't impress

of course the hindsight crystal ball is out in force around here though

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Newcastle look to be making about 60 million from Sissoko and Wijnaldum, not bad business at all

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• GLaDOS wrote: »
    Newcastle look to be making about 60 million from Sissoko and Wijnaldum, not bad business at all

As long as it doesn't effect the promotion chances...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I'd say those players were leaving one way or another tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Gotze back to Dortmund looks like it's done €26m.

Confirmed now.

Its always a risk playing youngsters consistently at senior level no matter how good they do at U18 or U21 level.

Unfortunately for the bigger teams in the EPL, if a youngster plays only ok when given a chance, he wont be playing next week as the senior members of the squad come back or are played even if theyre in terrible form.

There was no doubting his ability but its getting that run of consistent games to learn and make mistakes ios what made him the player he is today, not that I'd give a bo**ocks if I was a Utd fan, its not like the club is taking 20 quid off every fan to fund the deal, Utd are capable of affording it and while it was a costly mistake, its something Utd can easily rectify.

he was given chances and didn't impress

of course the hindsight crystal ball is out in force around here though

3 substitute appearances doesn't really constitute giving a player a chance does it?

Especially when United were having to bring Scholes out of retirement to bolster their midfield.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The transfer fees and relegation payment from the EPL should see Newcastle be able to afford the right players to bring them back up easily enough under Rafa, that was the best bit of business they could have done, keeping hold of him, if he fails to get them up though it will be a big failure but I do expect them to turn it arpund and be back up at the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As a percentage of United's turnover the signing of Pogba will not be their most expensive signing ever.
    It would only be third with Veron and Rio being more expensive in that regard, given United's turnover for 2016 is projected to be £510 million this year.
    When Roy Keane signed for United in a British transfer record for £3.75M, the turnover was £25 million.
    Juan Veron cost £28.1 million, with a turnover of £129 million.
    United would need to sign a player for £110.67 million to match the highest percentage paid for a player (Veron) by United going on turnover.

3 substitute appearances doesn't really constitute giving a player a chance does it?

I don't know, maybe, just maybe, the best manager in a generation (perhaps ever) knew more than me or you. Is that a possibility here, or not?

Captain Hindsight.

I don't know, maybe, just maybe, the best manager in a generation (perhaps ever) knew more than me or you. Is that a possibility here, or not?

Captain Hindsight.

Not at all, when Pogba left for Juventus I said that United should have done more to keep him. Fergie was a brilliant manager but even the best are capable of making a mistake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Captain Hindsight.

Ferguson made a load of mistakes when it came to transfers in and out. He got loads right, but plenty wrong too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Captain Hindsight.

Alex Ferguson wasn't infallible.

• Advertisement

Fergie wanted to keep him, but Raiola had convinced Pogba to leave. Didn't help that Fergie and Raiola mixed as well as water and oil.
    Pogba said he was impatient, and it must have been frustrating sitting on the bench and to see Rafael being played in midfield in one game.
    Pogba in a video from 2014 said he thinks of United everyday and last year he said he loves the club.
    I think the experience of Juve has done a great deal to help him as a player given he played with Pirlo, Vidal and other great midfielders.
    Yes it is costly, but there was not much United could have done to have prevented him leaving given Raiola had convinced him not to sign a new contract at United.
    Raiola has made a lot of money from this strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Even Fergie knows he fecked that one up
    "Paul Scholes had retired, Darren Fletcher was injured. There was no one left to play in midfield. And I was training and I was beginning to get better bit by bit and the coach never stopped telling me, 'You're this far'.

"And I didn't understand. This far away from what? Playing? From having some playing time? From getting on the field? Or what?

"And there was Rafael in midfield and I was disgusted. I was disgusted and I didn't get on either."

United lost 3-2 to Blackburn with Pogba remaining an unused substitute and he said that day convinced him to leave Old Trafford.

He added: "I'd lost that thing, that relation that I had with the coach. I was really disappointed, really disappointed.

"I was pushed. My eyes were opened. I'd made this decision to sign with Juventus. There was nothing to regret."

it doesn't matter about stuff like, the narrative being pedaled here is that United are jokers who could have saved themselves over a hundred million.

The fact is this, if Pogba had stayed, he'd likely be getting sold this summer anyway (or last) as his agent agitated for a move so he could get a bumper payday.

Again, I've stated elsewhere, I think United will get three, four years max, from this Pogba stint at the club.

I think they'll win the league under Mou and probably get to the CL Semi Finals in one of the next three years, and Pogba will continue to develop.

Raiola will look for another pay day, and Pogba will move to Spain when he's 26/27.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Especially when United were having to bring Scholes out of retirement to bolster their midfield.

And played Rafael in CM against Blackburn

it doesn't matter about stuff like, the narrative being pedaled here is that United are jokers who could have saved themselves over a hundred million.

The fact is this, if Pogba had stayed, he'd likely be getting sold this summer anyway (or last) as his agent agitated for a move so he could get a bumper payday.

Again, I've stated elsewhere, I think United will get three, four years max, from this Pogba stint at the club.

I think they'll win the league under Mou and probably get to the CL Semi Finals in one of the next three years, and Pogba will continue to develop.

Raiola will look for another pay day, and Pogba will move to Spain when he's 26/27.

Or Raiola keeps a stable of top players and United keep him on side by buying 1 or 2.
    I think Mkhitaryan could be the best Raiola player that United signed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement