Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pogba was 18 and it was the most intense part of the season. Not the time to be throwing someone in at the deep end. Now obviously it looks silly now to play Rafael in midfield over him but you don't want someone there with no starts his name over the Christmas period.

Do we think there was no attempt for United to get him under a long contract before that date? The 31st of December seems a very convenient date to have a falling out when that's basically when you can sign with another team. Raiola seen the payday and in fairness Pogba was making a lot more money out of it too so I don't blame him.

Fergie would have had him in more if he wasn't going against him. The biggest thing that Fergie always demanded was that everyone was onside with him. No matter who they were. Owners, legends, captains. If you go against him you weren't getting much off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's all well and good saying he shouldn't have been let go but who knows how he would have developed as a player if he did stay. He might not be half the player he is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It's all well and good saying he shouldn't have been let go but who knows how he would have developed as a player if he did stay. He might not be half the player he is now

Didn't he immediately hit the ground running at Juve? It was a massive cock up by Ferguson to not give him more of an opportunity when you see the midfield they had at the time.

I couldn't blame Pogba at all for leaving. Got to admire his guts and the belief he had in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ferguson left behind an ageing squad. All his key players were on the way down. He was thinking very short term those last couple of seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There were underlying reasons as to why Fergie didn't play Pogba in his last season at the club. Firstly, his progress had stalled. It was common knowledge at the time that Pogba was not playing well in the reserves in comparison to his amazing previous season. This was actually mentioned a few times on Boards by people who watched youth football at the time and Scholes remarked on this also not too long ago. Everyone knew he was a major talent but he wasn't performing consistently at a much weaker level at the time - makes it difficult for the manager to throw you into the senior side, even at a time of need- no matter how talented you are.

Secondly, there was a contract on the table for Pogba and he wouldn't sign it (a lot of speculation at the time is the agent wanted more money for him) and no way was Fergie gonna regularly play a youth player in that situation.

In the end, it obviously worked out pretty bad for United but the process as to how he left United is much more complex than to be summed up by ''major £100m cock up by Fergie''. Not saying he didn't make any errors in his handling of the situation but it certainly ain't as clear cut as many would have you believe.

However none of the above has any relevance to United trying to buy him back now and nor is it one bit embarrassing. The makeup of the regime at United that made recruitment decisions in 2012 couldn't be any different to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Georginio Wijnaldum having medical at Liverpool training ground on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Spain have named their new coach. A former goalkeeper in Julen Lopetegui.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/spain-name-their-new-coach-745975.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pjaca has signed for Juventus. Very good signing.

https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/756160095067729920

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Georginio Wijnaldum having medical at Liverpool training ground on Friday.

Good signing I reckon. Liverpool style will suit him more than Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Cavani for Chelsea. Should be cheaper than lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Cavani for Chelsea. Should be cheaper than lukaku

Hope that's not true, Cavani would be another Torres/Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Madrid have been surprisingly quiet considering the ban coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Madrid have been surprisingly quiet considering the ban coming up

Everything is being thrown at Pogba.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Well nobody expected that from Barcelona, probably least of all Real Madrid. He's a kid with a lot of talent, though certainly he is far from the finished article and will need work if he is to blend in at Barcelona. That being said, this is a 22 year old with a tonne of potential, he joins the ranks of the other signings this Summer and it's very plain to see that the eyes of Barcelona are cast firmly upon the future. The average age of the signings this summer, their profiles all fit the bill of a club building for the future while looking to dominate in the here and now too. I'm excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

AdamD wrote: »
    Pogba leaving United on a free has already happened, it should have no consideration when signing him now. United need to judge whether the transfer is worth it on its merits. Mentioning him leaving is just irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant? It's a horrible piece of business by United and therefore can hardly be considered a 'good deal'. Just because it's happened doesn't make it irrelevant, it's a business. I never said it should have any bearing on whether they sign him now or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jive wrote: »
    How is it irrelevant? It's a horrible piece of business by United and therefore can hardly be considered a 'good deal'. Just because it's happened doesn't make it irrelevant, it's a business. I never said it should have any bearing on whether they sign him now or not.

How was it a horrible piece of business by Utd? The player was out of contract and declined to sign the new contract that he was offered. Reports at the time were that it was a more lucrative contract than the one offered by Juve. Utd wanted to keep him and could do nothing once he decided to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

jive wrote: »

Its completely irrelevant to the decision making process for United now. Its a sunk cost, its already happened. They have to now judge this current transfer on its own merits, which means ignoring what fee he left for.

I'm not saying its a good deal, I'm just saying Pogba leaving on a free shouldn't be taken into consideration by the people making the deal if its a rational decision making process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Its completely irrelevant to the decision making process for United now. Its a sunk cost, its already happened. They have to now judge this current transfer on its own merits, which means ignoring what fee he left for.

I'm not saying its a good deal, I'm just saying Pogba leaving on a free shouldn't be taken into consideration by the people making the deal if its a rational decision making process.

Have to say I'm in agreement here. Football fans (especially of English sides) have this bizarre hang up on resigning players after they've left, as though it is better to ignore a player you sold/who left for a small fee and allow them to join a rival that it is to just suck it up and sign them.

It happened a few years ago for Liverpool and Tom Ince (obviously he never signed for any PL side in the end but was linked to LFC and Spurs) and people seemed stunned that LFC would consider returning to a player they had recently let go.

Sure, United would prefer not to spend €100m+ on a player that was once on their books, but is it not better than seeing him go to Real, Barca, City or Chelsea?

And, as you say, it is surely completely and utterly irrelevant to the process now, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It happened a few years ago for Liverpool and Tom Ince (obviously he never signed for any PL side in the end but was linked to LFC and Spurs) and people seemed stunned that LFC would consider returning to a player they had recently let go.

LFC fans were more stunned that they would bother going after him again, guy only seems to put in a shift when the games are on Sky!

kfallon wrote: »
    LFC fans were more stunned that they would bother going after him again, guy only seems to put in a shift when the games are on Sky!

That too - he's ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I agree but you've misinterpreted my OP then. I never said it has any bearing on making the deal now I'm just saying it's terrible business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Micah Richards linked to Sunderland (to play as a right back) for £5m. Moyes hasn't even arrived yet but that deal, ****ing hell. Woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    Micah Richards linked to Sunderland (to play as a right back) for £5m. Moyes hasn't even arrived yet but that deal, ****ing hell. Woeful.

He played better as a right back than he did as a centre back last year for Villa, although he signed for Villa wanting to be played as a centre back. Wasn't great in either position but was dreadful as a central defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's good value on paper. Right back is (was) his best position. But last year he was awful, incredibly disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Corholio wrote: »
    He played better as a right back than he did as a centre back last year for Villa, although he signed for Villa wanting to be played as a centre back. Wasn't great in either position but was dreadful as a central defender.

What would you think of him in a David Moyes back four as a RB with the following?

Richards - Kone - Kaboul - van Aanholt

He's definitely going to be used at RB if he comes in, but from what I saw of him of late I think it's a very poor piece of business at the rumoured price.

What would you think of him in a David Moyes back four as a RB with the following?

He's definitely going to be used at RB if he comes in, but from what I saw of him of late I think it's a very poor piece of business at the rumoured price.

£5 million is like a free transfer in this market.

• Advertisement

I think the two full backs there would have tendencies to be exposed quite often. I didn't watch Van Arnholt all that much last season but from just my opinion on what I saw he was pretty shaky defensively. I'm not sure you'd want that on both sides. Going to need 2 really good wingers who can work back in front of them I suspect. As JPA said though £5m isn't much at all these days EPL wise, I think Villa fans would be quite happy to get that for him now being in the Championship.

i think its a great piece of business. Always liked and rated him as a player. You'll change your mind, before the season ends, when you are watching him every week. £5 million is a bargain.

i think its a great piece of business. Always liked and rated him as a player. You'll change your mind, before the season ends, when you are watching him every week. £5 million is a bargain.

Unfortunately Villa fans had to do that last season :pac:

Not picking up markers, running 20 yards with the ball and then losing it, letting wingers get in behind him with absolute ease. To be fair I still don't mind the guy because he did seem to actually give a ****, regardless of poor performances or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

That Villa side are up there with Derby for the worst premier League team. From front to back they were terrible, however two players id give a chance to would be Richards as a RB and Amavi at LB, the rest of the squad are championship standard. £5m is worth a punt on Richards it's not huge money and he could be shifted on again for not much of a loss if I didn't work out.

duffman13 wrote: »
    That Villa side are up there with Derby for the worst premier League team. From front to back they were terrible, however two players id give a chance to would be Richards as a RB and Amavi at LB, the rest of the squad are championship standard. £5m is worth a punt on Richards it's not huge money and he could be shifted on again for not much of a loss if I didn't work out.

Richards was a big part of Villa going down last season. Hutton was a better right back than him, and believe me that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Corholio wrote: »
    Richards was a big part of Villa going down last season. Hutton was a better right back than him, and believe me that's saying something.

Didn't see tonnes of Villa last season and id feel sorry for anyone who did but Richards played all (almost all) at CB. Richards is a player I've liked so possibly clouding my judgement but as a £5m pound signing he would be worth a punt imo.

I also think saying he was a big part of going down last season is not really fair. That midfield as a whole in front of him was terrible, Lescott was awful as was Guzan. That midfield was so poor it's no surprise they were exposed so badly.

West Brom reject to bids of £20m+ for Saido Berahino from Palace (£20m up front + up to £3m in add ons) and Stoke (£17m up front and up to £3m in add ons).

WBA have really dug their heels in when it comes to keeping him but he clearly wants out. With this sort of financial reward, surely they should just sell up?

I think Palace would be a good move for him. Replace Dwight Gayle in the fast forward role and he might get some real game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

West Brom reject to bids of £20m+ for Saido Berahino from Palace (£20m up front + up to £3m in add ons) and Stoke (£17m up front and up to £3m in add ons).

WBA have really dug their heels in when it comes to keeping him but he clearly wants out. With this sort of financial reward, surely they should just sell up?

I think Palace would be a good move for him. Replace Dwight Gayle in the fast forward role and he might get some real game time.

20 million? I'd rate him higher then Deeney and bids of 30 rejected for him! 40 is the new 20 so they are dead right! Who will they buy that's established out of 20 million?

Is the Stones stuff true? He was average last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is the Stones stuff true? He was average last season

Hard for a defender to look anything but average when the coach doesn't focus on defending.

I'd say he'll go to city alright for a minimum of £50million. Everton don't want to/need to sell, hence the crazy money

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Hard for a defender to look anything but average when the coach doesn't focus on defending.

I'd say he'll go to city alright for a minimum of £50million. Everton don't want to/need to sell, hence the crazy money

Great deal for Everton if you get anything near that tbh.

I hear ya about Martinez btw but he's still pretty overrated imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Mahrez to Arsenal is supposedly a done deal! I hope so!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Only a great deal if they (Everton) actually sign new players, apparently they already have loads of cash (who doesn't theses days though.... Except Hull)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

MrMac84 wrote: »
    20 million? I'd rate him higher then Deeney and bids of 30 rejected for him! 40 is the new 20 so they are dead right! Who will they buy that's established out of 20 million?
    Is he not out of contract at the end of the season?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Berahino scored 4 league goals last season. Paying 25-30m would be madness.

The market is absolutely mental. Newcastle managing to get 25 million for wijnaldum is mental.
    A 10 million profit on a player who seriously under performed given the expectation and was part of a relegated team. Newcastle actually having the audacity to look for 25 and then getting it more bizarrely. Just nuts.
    He could be great for Liverpool don't get me wrong but the ease with which money is being spent is mad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Higuain having medical at Juve according to Sky Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Looks like Juve have agreed to pay Higuain's release clause, €94m.

He's a fantastic striker and maybe you could begin to justify the fee of he was 23 but he's not far off 30. Crazy.

Pogba is going to leave then. Real will go for him I would think now but unless they sell someone they probably can't afford him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think it's madness to spend that money on a player who is turning 29 this season and will only have maybe 2 or 3 years left in him. Strikers tend to fade away very quickly compared to players in other positions so who knows how long he has left at the top.

Him and Dybala up front could be a frightening partnership this season.

They really need to win the champions league with Higuain in order for the signing to come close to having any value at all for them.

Advertisement