Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/leicester-striker-riyad-mahrez-agrees-to-join-arsenal-reports-34906532.html

"unconfirmed reports in France..." say Mahrez to Arsenal is a done deal.

Idle transfer gossip so I would think?

If it was true, the £41.8m mentioned in the article would make Arsenal the league's biggest spenders this summer, at least until Pogba moves to United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

That's the league wrapped up for Juventus already. Weakened all there rivals and made there squad head and shoulders above anyone else's In the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Blatter wrote: »
    Looks like Juve have agreed to pay Higuain's release clause, €94m.

He's a fantastic striker and maybe you could begin to justify the fee of he was 23 but he's not far off 30. Crazy.

Absolutely the craziest transfer of the summer if that goes through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So Juve are now the Bayern of Italy so then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pretty much, but Dortmund look seriously strong this year too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

JPA wrote: »
    The market is absolutely mental. Newcastle managing to get 25 million for wijnaldum is mental.
    A 10 million profit on a player who seriously under performed given the expectation and was part of a relegated team. Newcastle actually having the audacity to look for 25 and then getting it more bizarrely. Just nuts.
    He could be great for Liverpool don't get me wrong but the ease with which money is being spent is mad to see.

Newcastle seem to be good at getting Liverpool to pay over the odds for players ,they had the audacity to put the phone down on them when Liverpool offered £30m for Andy Carroll ,and held out for a staggering £35m.

Clubs have too much money now from the new tv money.
    Its going to be a bubble ,with huge inflation on players transfer fees and wages.
    Average players that were worth 10m euro a few years ago are going for 30-40m these days .
    Its sick as the people who ultimately pay for these transfers are the average fan being fleeced on season tickets and tv subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Absolutely the craziest transfer of the summer if that goes through.

If Pogba goes for 100 million that'll certainly be a strong rival for that particular crown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If Pogba goes for 100 million that'll certainly be a strong rival for that particular crown.

What's your impression of the Andre Gomes transfer? Was he that good for Valencia? (I didn't see enough of them last season).

And he didn't stand out at all for Portugal at 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

SlickRic wrote: »
    What's your impression of the Andre Gomes transfer? Was he that good for Valencia? (I didn't see enough of them last season).

Only saw a little of him with valencia but was terrible for portugal at the euros and ended up being dropped. Nowhere near the level of midfield players at Barcelona over the last few years, but then again who is? Hel probably still look good with so much class around him

It's a risky transfer certainly. Any transfer of a young player is risky, throw in the added weight of big minute and then the extra dilemma of figuring out how to play in Barcelona's very particular midfield 3 and you have a club taking something of a leap of faith.

On the plus side, he's a hugely talented player both in and out of possession, he'll add some vigour to Barcelona's build up on the edge of the opposition box. Is it 100% a gamble worth taking? Personally I'm not so sure, but I will say I am happy to see the club finally add some real quality depth to the squad and I'm even more happy at the age profile of players which the club are targeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

And I agree that the money for higuain is madness.

One of the biggest bottlers on the big stage youll ever see, hel bang plenty of goals in the league for them but wont win them a champions league

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't think so. With Pogba utd will get 7 or 8 peak years out of him or alternatively can sell him at a similar price.

I don't think so. With Pogba utd will get 7 or 8 peak years out of him or alternatively can sell him at a similar price.

We will see how high his stock is after this move, though admittedly he does have sell on value and more marketability than Higuain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Bayern tend to get good deals for the players they buy.

Napoli look to have got a really good deal there.

They can replace Higuain and rebuild their team with that sort of money ,if they spend it all on players.

tastyt wrote: »
    And I agree that the money for higuain is madness.

One of the biggest bottlers on the big stage youll ever see, hel bang plenty of goals in the league for them but wont win them a champions league

Agreed
    Higuain is a good player but at the really top level ,in the big matches when he is needed most he always goes missing .
    He snatches at the ball when heavily pressurised.
    If you are paying that sort of money you want a calm finisher and Higuain doesnt have that characteristic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

€100m for a 23 year old Vs €94m for a player turning 29 this year is very different.

Higuain will have little to no resale value and has probably 4 to 5 years max at the top level.

Even if Pogba doesn't reach world class levels its hard to see him being a duck so if he was to join and stay at United for the next 6 or 7 years as a first team regular then it would be money well spent.

The fees for both are ridiculous though and aside from perhaps Suarez or Messi I don't think any player should be in that price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

€100m+ for Pogba is like in Football Manager when you try to sign a highly rated young talent from a team who don't want to sell, so they respond to your bid with some ludicrous demand thinking you'll just cancel negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Juve are normally very cute in the transfer market.

They could have bought Morata back with that sort of money but strengthening whilst weakening a rival seems to be a better objective to hit.

Who else could they have bought with that sort of money im wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

€100m for a 23 year old Vs €94m for a player turning 29 this year is very different.

Higuain will have little to no resale value and has probably 4 to 5 years max at the top level.

Even if Pogba doesn't reach world class levels its hard to see him being a duck so if he was to join and stay at United for the next 6 or 7 years as a first team regular then it would be money well spent.

The fees for both are ridiculous though and aside from perhaps Suarez or Messi I don't think any player should be in that price range.

Pogba fee will be €120m at least IMO.

I'd actually surprised if Juve are paying the release clause for Higuain, but you never know, but it certainly goes against their transfer policy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

€94m for Higuain is absolutely bonkers

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »
    Pogba fee will be €120m at least IMO.

I'd actually surprised if Juve are paying the release clause for Higuain, but you never know, but it certainly goes against their transfer policy.

Even if it is 120 Million, it's better than paying 94 Million for Higuain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Even if it is 120 Million, it's better than paying 94 Million for Higuain.

Without doubt.

I'll wait a few days for the dust to settle, still don't believe Juve have agreed to pay the full buy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    Without doubt.

I'll wait a few days for the dust to settle, still don't believe Juve have agreed to pay the full buy out.

I heard it was half up front and the other half next year.

Think Di Marzio said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Its Juventus first major blunder after years of great spending. If Griezmann has a 80-100m release he is who I would spend Pogba money on. Juventus's main aim is to win the CL Higuain is not the player to help them do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

MD1990 wrote: »
    Its Juventus first major blunder after years of great spending. If Griezmann has a 80-100m release he is who I would spend Pogba money on. Juventus's main aim is to win the CL Higuain is not the player to help them do it.

While I'd agree with you re Greizmann, he appears more than content to stay with AM for the time being, even if a club agrees a release fee it doesn't necessarily mean the player would want to move. I would love him at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I heard it was half up front and the other half next year.

Think Di Marzio said that.

Most of the deals are structured like that, if what Di Marzio said is true then it's even worse for Juve as they will be paying whole fee in just 2 years.

While I'd agree with you re Greizmann, he appears more than content to stay with AM for the time being, even if a club agrees a release fee it doesn't necessarily mean the player would want to move. I would love him at United.

I don't really see how Atletico to Juve would be a step forward anyway. For me, Lukaku would be the one to go for.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Most of the deals are structured like that, if what Di Marzio said is true then it's even worse for Juve as they will be paying whole fee in just 2 years.

They're not usually structured that way when a release clause is met. Where the buying team and the selling team agree on a transfer fee, naturally this comes about after a period of negotiation.

Where the selling team has no say in the transfer fee and is being compelled towards a particular fee via a contract clause, they've no reason to demand anything less than the entire fee up front.

In this case Napoli are probably happy enough to be getting the fee they are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it too late to say the game has gone crazy? If Suarez should get another move before he turns 30 he could be too expensive for anyone to buy him! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looks like Witsel off to Everton for €30m, as per DiMarizio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Lord TSC wrote: »

Good signing.

Surprised he's stayed in Russia for so long.

Mahrez may just have added £10m to his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mahrez may just have added £10m to his price.

Because of a good goal scored in a friendly? Don't be ridiculous.

Unless you're not being serious and are going all Trump on us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Lord TSC wrote: »

Can't see McCarthy lasting long at Everton if witsel signs. That has been dragging on though

Because of a good goal scored in a friendly? Don't be ridiculous.

Unless you're not being serious and are going all Trump on us :D

The transfer window is that batshít crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The transfer window is that batshít crazy.

He's been doing that all year, doesn't need a goal in a friendly to push up his price.

MD1990 wrote: »

Just to put this 94m euro bid into perspective the rebuild cost of the new Juventus stadium was only 100m euro .

So its getting to the stage now where a player costs more than a 40k stadium.:eek:
    I remember Ron Atkinson saying he once sold a player for a lawnmower ,how times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Just to put this 94m euro bid into perspective the rebuild cost of the new Juventus stadium was only 100m euro .

So its getting to the stage now where a player costs more than a 40k stadium.:eek:
    I remember Ron Atkinson saying he once sold a player for a lawnmower ,how times have changed.

I'd sell Sanogo for a lawnmower in fairness.

A Flymo has a better engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bournemouth linked with Liverpool s Brad Smith 6 million jesus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More than linked, the clubs have agreed terms. We're getting really good at selling ex youth players :) Ibe and Smith = Wijnaldum or Smith out Karius in and still money money left over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Just read a post saying Pogba wouldnt get in Barca/Real team

Are you having a laugh

Pogba is a player that even if he doesnt progress will still be one of the most talented players in the world

Using what the charlatan Deschamps did with him in the euros as a reason to diss him :pac:

The only cm Id have over him is Modric and Iniesta is 32 so if he was in my team yes, but I wouldnt sign him over Pogba

Kroos is good but not Pogbas level, the same with Rakitic

Sergio Busquets for me the best DM in the world he doesnt play the same position as Pogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Bournemouth linked with Liverpool s Brad Smith 6 million jesus
    Naw, Jesus is Joe Allen...

fotorcreated11.jpg?w=748&h=420&crop=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Naw, Jesus is Joe Allen...

He wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He wishes.
    Take it up with the scoreboard:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

At least the lawnmower would get some time on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kolo's expression.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/757547042583502850

https://twitter.com/stokecity/status/757546015612428288

Stoke City announce the signing of Ramadan Sobhi from Egyptian Champions Al Alhy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Kolo the happiest man in football just realised he just made a mistake going to Scotland.

That's what I take from that picture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement