Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/stokecity/status/757546015612428288

Stoke City announce the signing of Ramadan Sobhi from Egyptian Champions Al Alhy.

For some reason I thought I was in the humour thread! After spending 5 minutes trying to see what I was missing with this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Joe Allen to Stoke confirmed, £13m great buy for Stoke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lyon confirm they have rejected a bid of €35m for Lacazette from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lyon confirm they have rejected a bid of €35m for Lacazette from Arsenal.

Didnt they already reject a very similar bid from West Ham for the same player?

If so, makes no sense for a very similar bid to go across the table.

Throw another 10-15m on top of it and they'll probably get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

rob316 wrote: »

Liverpool are selling a load of players, seem to have made a load of £ to cover their spending for this window. Reckon Balotelli, Benteke, Markovic will get the door as well. Really cleansing out the Brendan Rodgers signings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Didnt they already reject a very similar bid from West Ham for the same player?

If so, makes no sense for a very similar bid to go across the table.

Throw another 10-15m on top of it and they'll probably get him.

I think they get him

He has let it known he wants Arsenal or PSG

Lyon chairman wont sell to PSG

So like you said I reckon it takes a bit more but he will play for them this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote: »
    Two years ago I'd be saying it's a ridiculous price for somebody who has done what he has in the last two seasons but this window it actually sounds like it might be a bit of a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

http://http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12961/10513276/gonzalo-higuain-completes-juventus-transfer-from-napoli-sky-in-italy

HIGUAIN has signed for Juve after. Crazy money for a 28 year old

Pogba I say to UTD in the day or two..... I hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing money for a player who sh'its the bed on the biggest stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Napoli confirms the move now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Football is nuts

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You'd imagine Pogba has to be going somewhere to fuel that sort of transfer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

GLaDOS wrote: »
    You'd imagine Pogba has to be going somewhere to fuel that sort of transfer.

Yeah, there was one or two murmurings on twitter or somewhere that a bid may have been put in for him.

But seriously, people need to chill about the Pogba deal. It is going through the motions and admin that any 100 million purchase would go through but its as clear as day its more or less done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

90 Million Euros and 240K pounds per week, that's a ridiculous money for Higuain.

They will win Serie A anyways and I don't think he is a difference maker in CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Napoli didn't hang around. Milik on the way for 35m. 35!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Beppe Marotta has a proven record of being a shrewd operator in the transfer market but 90 million for Higuain is astonishing. Yeah he had a great season for Napoli last year but he'll do little to further Juventus' ambitions in Europe.

Madrid exercised their right to bring Morata back for 30 million. Surely Juve could have used some of that 60 million difference to haggle with them. Morata>Higuain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Higuain is a class act and right up there near the top of the best strikers in the world.
    People keep saying he doesn't do it in big games. Yes he has missed some chances but all the best strikers miss chances in every game they play. The games where he has missed chances are remembered because there were not many chances in those games.
    People need to disregard that stuff and just look at his goal scoring record which is pretty phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    90 Million Euros and 240K pounds per week, that's a ridiculous money for Higuain.

They will win Serie A anyways and I don't think he is a difference maker in CL.

Why is the transfer fee in Euro and the wages in Sterling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Debil wrote: »
    Napoli didn't hang around. Milik on the way for 35m. 35!

Milik the guy who was subbed off with 30 mins to go when Ajax really, really needed to score against De Graafschap (last match of last season, they didnt and it cost them the league).
    He never had the 100% backing form De Boer and now they get €35 million for him. Sickening

Ajax probably putting it in the bank with the other €100 million they have there already.
    Even if they wanted to splash money around, no one will come to the Dutch league anyway.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Higuain is a class act and right up there near the top of the best strikers in the world.
    People keep saying he doesn't do it in big games. Yes he has missed some chances but all the best strikers miss chances in every game they play. The games where he has missed chances are remembered because there were not many chances in those games.
    People need to disregard that stuff and just look at his goal scoring record which is pretty phenomenal.

I think "people" are merely commenting on the fact that approaching 29, this price is a bit absurd. People aren't saying he has been a fantastic striker in the past.
    Ronaldo, Bale and ahem, Pogba, were all in their early to mid 20s when they made such a big money move. And their ability was open to big improvement whereas Higuain is at his peak and you would have to think this his last big move. He also isnt as big as a marketable name as the other three whose image rights are worth tens of millions in themself.

People just think he aint worth that money!

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Milik the guy who was subbed off with 30 mins to go when Ajax really, really needed to score against De Graafschap (last match of last season, they didnt and it cost them the league).
    He never had the 100% backing form De Boer and now they get €35 million for him. Sickening

Ajax probably putting it in the bank with the other €100 million they have there already.
    Even if they wanted to splash money around, no one will come to the Dutch league anyway.

He is only 22. The guy has massive potential and clearly is a superb finisher. You pay the market price and for a guy of his ability, age, openness to improvement and the fact everyone knows Napoli have a few quid under the matress, thats a relatively understandable fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've always rated Higuain very highly, going back to his time at Madrid and was surprised to see they sold him, though Marca's campaign to get rid of him was in full swing so it wasn't really a surprise.

He gets goals wherever he goes, which is a big bonus, especially in what has always been a tougher league to score goals in. It'd been ten years since anyone else had scored 30+ goals in a season and before that it'd been 40-odd years.

He has been prone to miss on big occasions and I don't think he's really going to bring this Juve side on but his goals will help them win the league again and take away from Napoli, probably the most important thing for Juve right now.

All that aside, the money is ridiculous, even in the current hyperinflated world of transfers, I don't think he's worth that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He is only 22. The guy has massive potential and clearly is a superb finisher. You pay the market price and for a guy of his ability, age, openness to improvement and the fact everyone knows Napoli have a few quid under the matress, thats a relatively understandable fee

I am just annoyed that that lot in Amsterdam get 35 million for a guy they never really rated and never was undisputed first choice cfwd.
    To put things in perspective, 16 out 18 eredivisie teams have a budget less than that to play a full season.
    Excelsior would be able to play 10 season of eredivisie for that money :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Milik was poor at the Euros. I wasn't impressed with him at all.

As for Higuain, it's silly money (like most of these transfers) but Juventus know they're getting a proven goalscorer in Serie A. The reported fee for Pogba to United would be worse imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »

He is an excellent player but his record in Europe is poor.

25 goals in 84 games (with a fair few of his goals coming in the Europa League).

This will only be anywhere close to being a worthwhile buy if Juve win the Champions League (which they might) but they've paid way over the odds for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Everton have met the release clause for some villa midfielder.

This guy:

https://twitter.com/toffeetvefc/status/758027002003718144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yann M'Vila very close to agreeing a 4 year deal with Sunderland for €5m. Yep, €5m.

That's one of the best deals this summer when you consider some of the fees flying around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Paully D wrote: »
    Yann M'Vila very close to agreeing a 4 year deal with Sunderland for €5m. Yep, €5m.

That's one of the best deals this summer when you consider some of the fees flying around.

Thats crazy

Saw yesterday Rubin signed Song

Thought maybe they would make a class midfield and challenge for the Russian league again

Thats a serious bargain for Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gavlor wrote: »
    Everton have met the release clause for some villa midfielder.

This guy:

https://twitter.com/toffeetvefc/status/758027002003718144

I think he'll be great signing for ye. Getting a great deal with the release clause being met, easily worth more. Can see him becoming a fans favourite there with the way he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Welcome to S6 Almen Abdi for 4 mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

emmetkenny wrote: »

I think the transfer fee is always in the currency of the selling club, which makes sense since they're dictating the price, and the wages of course would always be discussed in the domestic currency.

In a general sense, I think football is entering a very dangerous place with these transfer fees. To be paying that much for players, and still charge as much as they do for stadium entry...the product has to be pretty bloody good to accept that kind of treatment. Everything has been inflated way beyond anything even remotely logical, and all it serves to do is punish the consumer.

With the money available, players should be moving for the same money as usual, with the influx of cash going towards more accessible pricing, more grassroots developments, more community benefit projects etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I don't think you watch much of Ajax to say the above. Ajax must be over the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Corholio wrote: »
    I think he'll be great signing for ye. Getting a great deal with the release clause being met, easily worth more. Can see him becoming a fans favourite there with the way he plays.

He could be good but he didn't pull up any trees at Villa. Those stats are head scratching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

emmetkenny wrote: »

Does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Does it matter?

Not really. I just asked because was curious. Somebody already answered though so don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i expected far more transfer activity in the prem by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i expected far more transfer activity in the prem by now

Since the announcement of Brexit there has been a massive, massive shortage of ink in the uk. Players simply can't put pen to paper!

Headshot wrote: »

I don't think you watch much of Ajax to say the above. Ajax must be over the moon.

Ah the "I watch such and such every week" post!

He scored 25 goals and 12 assists and got on the team of the year ! For a guy who just turned 22 before the end of the season with 30 appearances and a dozen goals for his country I'd lay my hat on the line to say he is going to be a top player. I've already explainew the context of the big price. Young player, market inflation, purchaser with vast amount to spend etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

He scored 25 goals and 12 assists and got on the team of the year ! For a guy who just turned 22 before the end of the season with 30 appearances and a dozen goals for his country I'd lay my hat on the line to say he is going to be a top player. I've already explainew the context of the big price. Young player, market inflation, purchaser with vast amount to spend etc

He has a tasty left foot, was following poland through the euros as oh is from there. But he was poor imo, but hey most of the English team were crap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Villareal sign Pato

kevthegaff wrote: »
    He has a tasty left foot, was following poland through the euros as oh is from there. But he was poor imo, but hey most of the English team were crap

I dont agree he was crap, he didnt set the Euros alight but sure look at most of the top strikers (including his teammate Lewandowski) during the euros, all very average.
    In fact he was a lot more important than Lewandowski to them reaching the quarter finls, particularly in the Ukraine game where he was best player on the pitch.
    He proved himself at international level during the qulifiers scoring twice against the Germans in their victory.
    The price is relative to other inflatory market prices that have increased vastly over the last year. Jordan Ibe (16million!), Matt Richie ( 12 million to the championship), James Tomkins, Wijnaldum (25 million...... player that formed part of a relegated central defence) , even Erick Bailly at 30 nmillion!!

And then of course almost 80 million for a player that will be 29 by mid season)

As I said the price is relative and when you approach a club for a 22 year old proven international who clearly can score and assist and hold up play, when said club knows you have stashes of cash under your pillow, you are going to have to play that little bit more. Napoli are smrt with their transfers usually, money wise. I doubt they are mugs in this respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I dont agree he was crap, he didnt set the Euros alight but sure look at most of the top strikers (including his teammate Lewandowski) during the euros, all very average.
    In fact he was a lot more important than Lewandowski to them reaching the quarter finls, particularly in the Ukraine game where he was best player on the pitch.
    He proved himself at international level during the qulifiers scoring twice against the Germans in their victory.
    The price is relative to other inflatory market prices that have increased vastly over the last year. Jordan Ibe (16million!), Matt Richie ( 12 million to the championship), James Tomkins, Wijnaldum (25 million...... player that formed part of a relegated central defence) , even Erick Bailly at 30 nmillion!!

And then of course almost 80 million for a player that will be 29 by mid season)

As I said the price is relative and when you approach a club for a 22 year old proven international who clearly can score and assist and hold up play, when said club knows you have stashes of cash under your pillow, you are going to have to play that little bit more. Napoli are smrt with their transfers usually, money wise. I doubt they are mugs in this respect.
    Think you've got the wrong fella in mind!

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Think you've got the wrong fella in mind!

sorry meant centre midfield!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sorry meant centre midfield!

Try again ;)

CSF wrote: »
    Try again ;)

?! I wouldnt call him a winger if thats what you re saying? Floated around. Either way he was awful away from home where Newcastle effectively got relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

According to transfermarkt, Wijnaldum played the majority of games on the left wing last year, followed by attacking midfield. Only played 4 games in centre mid.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Well I wouldnt call him a winger at all. Centre/attacking midfield generally. If you watch Newcastle he floats all over the place. Firminho would be his competition at Pool I would anticipate

Why are we even going all pedantic anyway about this! The point is he was part of a relegated midfield and sold on for 25 million! The originl point was about Milik and market prices and I was just trying to give some perspective

He's basically a 2nd striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MatteoPedrosi/status/758321766360084480

Good news for Liverpool,looks like Mario is Besiktas bound.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/758323595110154240

Brad Guzan to 'boro on a free.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/chelsea-59m-transfer-happen-providing-abramovich-gives-take-look/

Madrid getting a bit more serious about Hazard.

https://twitter.com/CalcioNews89/status/758322376450990080

Roma reach agreement with Arsenal over Szczesny.

Still too expensive for Guzan

• Advertisement
Advertisement