Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

CSF wrote: »
    Still too expensive for Guzan

+ 1

I don't think I have ever seen worse distribution from a keeper put that villa defence under even more pressure all season. Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Can understand the confusion about Wijnaldum's position.
    Saw him make his debut age 16 as a right winger (the player position, not political), then had his best season for Feyenoord behind the cfwd. Played similar position at PSV
    Played defensive midfielder at wc2014, although that was in a 3-5-2 where he had freedom to go forward as well.

You can play him in all midfield and forward positions, will do a job anywhere.
    But his best position?
    Beats me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

City in talks with Everton for Stones according to the BBC. £50m fee.

Thats £125m they will have spent in the last 2 seasons on 3 CB's.

Sure if they just keep throwing £40-50m at the position eventually it will sort itself out, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

CSF wrote: »
    Still too expensive for Guzan

How much did Villa pay to Middlesborough for the transfer?.........

Lukker- wrote: »
    City in talks with Everton for Stones according to the BBC. £50m fee.

Thats £125m they will have spent in the last 2 seasons on 3 CB's.

Sure if they just keep throwing £40-50m at the position eventually it will sort itself out, right?

It worked for strikers in fairness how much did they spend on strikers untill they landed on Aguero. When you can keep throwing money at a problem you should eventually get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It worked for strikers in fairness how much did they spend on strikers untill they landed on Aguero. When you can keep throwing money at a problem you should eventually get it right

Txiki Begiristain - worth every penny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How much did Villa pay to Middlesborough for the transfer?.........

They dropped him at the gates and sped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The funny thing was they managed to get two really good strikers in Aguero and Dzeko yet they still kept buying more every year. Madness.

zerks wrote: »
    They dropped him at the gates and sped off.

savages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ciro Immobile to Lazio and Arkadiusz Milik to Napoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Haven't Boro already signed Valdes and they already have Konstantopoulos, who I thought was a pretty decent keeper, albeit not having seen him consistently. Can't imagine Guzan seeing much game time there.

Victor Valdes' last couple of years are baffling. Why didnt he just see out the rest of his career at another La Liga club? Why has he settled for 10 matches in what will be almost two and a half years!! I know it was a series of events but even just moving to United was an odd decision at the time.

Apparently many see him as favourite for the jersey with Guzan the number two. Konstantopoulos and his missus have wrote a few strange tweets last few days regarding his position and future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Corholio wrote: »
    Haven't Boro already signed Valdes and they already have Konstantopoulos, who I thought was a pretty decent keeper, albeit not having seen him consistently. Can't imagine Guzan seeing much game time there.

Konstantopoulos is terrible. He's a complete liability whenever I've watched. They've done well to keep as many clean sheets as they have with him in goal.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Konstantopoulos is terrible. He's a complete liability whenever I've watched. They've done well to keep as many clean sheets as they have with him in goal.

he kept 22 clean sheets and broke numerous club records last season (9 clean sheets in a row or something)!! For a 37 year old that is a liability most clubs would be content in having! Yes, he wont be Number 1 but calling him a complete liability, come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

zerks wrote: »

Didn't happen, signed new deal with Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

zerks wrote:
    Ciro Immobile to Lazio and Arkadiusz Milik to Napoli.

Any good is he? Does he get around the park much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sissoko to Real Madrid anyone?
    Telegraph Football

@TeleFootball

Real Madrid close in on #NUFC midfielder Moussa Sissoko http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/27/real-madrid-close-in-on-newcastle-united-midfielder-moussa-sisso/
    10:31 PM - 27 Jul 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Imagine waiting all summer to sign Pogba and signing Sissoko instead?

Now there's an anti-climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Imagine waiting all summer to sign Pogba and signing Sissoko instead?

Now there's an anti-climax.

When you already have modric and kroos your probably not that bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

When you already have modric and kroos your probably not that bothered.

The problem with Kroos is that he can't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sissoko had a good Euro's so its probably nailed on. Real want to buy anyone that has played well at a International tournament.

2002 - Ronaldo
    2006 - Cannavaro
    2007 - Drenthe
    2010 - Ozil,Khedira
    2013 - Illaramendi
    2014 - Rodriguez,Navas

A few of those signings Real had no intention of signing before playing very well in the World Cup/Euro's/u21.

Lord above, £50m for Stones is a total rip and run from Everton. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest he is worth half that fee even in this market. Him and Smalling are the supposed future of England's defence, he's another who is grossly overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hence Casemiro. Good player, but they could do with an upgrade there. Sissoko isn't that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rob316 wrote: »
    Lord above, £50m for Stones is a total rip and run from Everton. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest he is worth half that fee even in this market. Him and Smalling are the supposed future of England's defence, he's another who is grossly overrated.

He has lots of potential but even last year when we wanted him for about £30 odd million I felt he was over priced.

Theres more money in play now this year and his price has jumped to £50m on the back of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

£25m is your starting point for any Premier League starting player moving to another Premier League club. That's the market now.

Stones for £50m on that basis, on the assumption that City think they can develop him and considering his age, is a fair price. Everton have zero need to sell him for a penny less so if City want him then that is the price tag.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    £25m is your starting point for any Premier League starting player moving to another Premier League club. That's the market now.

Stones for £50m on that basis, on the assumption that City think they can develop him and considering his age. Is a fair price. Everton have zero need to sell him for a penny less so if City want him then that is the price tag.

100% agree just like Sterling when he was at Liverpool, just its mad thinking he will be the joint most expensive CB in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Better suspended on Robin Van Persie to Rangers. Seems like the kind of signing they would have made 10 years ago. Don't think he has much left in those legs either.

Better suspended on Robin Van Persie to Rangers. Seems like the kind of signing they would have made 10 years ago. Don't think he has much left in those legs either.

why would he go there? Surely he would earn some bucks for a season in the States. He will get paid very little up there and not the most exotic of climates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

why would he go there? Surely he would earn some bucks for a season in the States. He will get paid very little up there and not the most exotic of climates.
    They probably told him that they want to win the Champions League like they did to the real Ronaldo back in the day

Rangers have rubbished the rumour anyway. Scored 22 goals last season for Fenerbache, its not the worst league around. He would still be an asset to mid to low table premier league side, I'd say his wage demands are ridiculous though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

rob316 wrote: »

There's a definite English tax which adds on a few million. Take that away and he'd cost around the same as what Chelsea will pay for Koulibaly which is about right. Two modern centre backs with a tonne of potential. Playing under Guardiola will be a God-send for Stones.

Still a considerably more impressive midfield player than Pogba.

Is there a filter on this thread to remove all posts containing the word Pogba by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's a definite English tax which adds on a few million. Take that away and he'd cost around the same as what Chelsea will pay for Koulibaly which is about right. Two modern centre backs with a tonne of potential. Playing under Guardiola will be a God-send for Stones.

Koulibaly is a fair bit better than Stones though. Stones can pass the ball and do a few tricks, which is odd for the archetypal English centre half. The result of which means he's hyped, and his many mistakes last year are glossed over. Seriously, he was downright awful last season. Of course, that could be down to Roberto Martinez, who thinks defence is the thing that goes around your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wonder how much Stones or Koulibaly would cost if they had more than 1 good season?

Koulibaly is a fair bit better than Stones though. Stones can pass the ball and do a few tricks, which is odd for the archetypal English centre half. The result of which means he's hyped, and his many mistakes last year are glossed over. Seriously, he was downright awful last season. Of course, that could be down to Roberto Martinez, who thinks defence is the thing that goes around your garden.

Koulibaly is more developed at this stage than Stones but Stones has the benefit of having played already in the English league, plus he's English so I understand why there's a price difference between the two. I don't think Martinez did him any favours last season. Stick him with Pep, let Pep do what he did with Pique and Boateng and you've got a world beater on your hands because Stones has all the raw ingredients you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

How do you figure

What CB has Pep made a world star

Pique had that season with Zaragoza before coming to Barca

At Bayern he worked with star defenders

Am I missing a player he brought through at La Masia :o

Koulibaly is more developed at this stage than Stones but Stones has the benefit of having played already in the English league, plus he's English so I understand why there's a price difference between the two. I don't think Martinez did him any favours last season. Stick him with Pep, let Pep do what he did with Pique and Boateng and you've got a world beater on your hands because Stones has all the raw ingredients you need.

Ah so you were using players who were already developed as defenders

Pep made neither of those players, it will be like saying he made Kompany a star if he doesnt get injured next year

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Ah so you were using players who were already developed as defenders

Pep made neither of those players, it will be like saying he made Kompany a star if he doesnt get injured next year

Whatever about Boateng, Pep deserves great credit for how he helped Pique onto another level altogether. He was always going to be a star but its more than likely he wouldnt be the player he is now without the intensity of Pep

How do you figure

What CB has Pep made a world star

Pique had that season with Zaragoza before coming to Barca

At Bayern he worked with star defenders

Am I missing a player he brought through at La Masia :o

Lol at the idea that Pep didn't play a crucial role in pushing Pique and Boateng on to be two of the best centre backs in the world. Ask the players how big Pep was in their development and they'll leave you in no doubt as to how utterly crucial he was to both. Also extra lol at referencing Pique's time at Zaragoza where he was often used as a holding midfielder.

• Advertisement

Please don't say "lol" and especially not "extra lol" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Koulibaly is a much better CB than Stones. He is as good on the ball as Stones. But a much better defender. Very fast,strong good in the air & better at reading the game too which Stones lacks at times.

Lol at the idea that Pep didn't play a crucial role in pushing Pique and Boateng on to be two of the best centre backs in the world. Ask the players how big Pep was in their development and they'll leave you in no doubt as to how utterly crucial he was to both. Also extra lol at referencing Pique's time at Zaragoza where he was often used as a holding midfielder.

Dont see it at all

Boateng was already a class defender before Pep

Ill give him Pique a player who was on the way to the top pre-Pep

A player who was a center back at Zaragoza and Uniteds teams

Just because he was capable of playing DM doesnt mean thats what he was

You seem to hold a crazy view on Pep and Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Dont see it at all

Buddy, you have no idea! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I like Pique but Ramos is much better.

Please don't say "lol" and especially not "extra lol" !

+ 1000

Dont see it at all

A class defender who Man City were fairly happy to release. Listen to Boateng speak and you'll know how highly he values the work Pep did with him. He always had potential but until Pep it was just that; potential.

Pique played a very decent percentage of his games for Zaragoza in midfield. He rarely started for Man Utd. Another player with potential who, after working with Pep, became, in my view, the best centre back in world football.

How can I hold these views? Because I have, and do, follow Guardiola's career.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I like Pique but Ramos is much better.

I like both but Paddy McNair is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

A class defender who Man City were fairly happy to release. Listen to Boateng speak and you'll know how highly he values the work Pep did with him. He always had potential but until Pep it was just that; potential.

Pique played a very decent percentage of his games for Zaragoza in midfield. He rarely started for Man Utd. Another player with potential who, after working with Pep, became, in my view, the best centre back in world football.

How can I hold these views? Because I have, and do, follow Guardiola's career.

He was their first choice CB when they won treble, not just potential. Boateng Started in all 4 semi finals and 2 CL finals before Pep became their manager.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He was their first choice CB when they won treble, not just potential. Boateng Started in all 4 semi finals and 2 CL finals before Pep became their manager.

And yet he was not the all round magnificent centre back that he is today. What you see today is a player that has been carefully moulded through countless hours of work, instruction and practice.

Advertisement