Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

CSF wrote: »
    When he decides he wants to go, which he probably will, it becomes very difficult to keep him. If Alves goes, I'd bet good money Bellerin comes in. Arsenal can't compete with Barcelona in these matters.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I don't see Arsenal selling unless it's a ridiculous offer. There is no need for them to sell. I'm sure Barcelona will be using their transfer funds to sign bigger names than Bellerin. He would cost them too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Johner wrote: »
    Lukaku has confirmed he wants to leave Everton.
    Chelsea? Oh wait - no CL footie.

Could be Chelsea, better chance of UCL football and success with Chelsea than on Merseyside.

Also, the talk about UCL football is academic, if Chelsea or Utd or any other bigger clubs than Everton meet his valuation, he'd be out of Everton faster than you could say footballer says something he doesnt really mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Could be Chelsea, better chance of UCL football and success with Chelsea than on Merseyside.

Also, the talk about UCL football is academic, if Chelsea or Utd or any other bigger clubs than Everton meet his valuation, he'd be out of Everton faster than you could say footballer says something he doesnt really mean.

If United go for Ibra you couldnt see them going for Lukaku too

Arsenal would be the only top PL team in current need of a striker, dunno if he'd suit them

Hopefully the people at Chelsea can convince him it was all down to Jose that he left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

When he wants to go, I agree. I disagree on when that will be, he's clearly very happy as is. He's pretty much a Spanish-Cockney hybrid already.

I'd imagine he's eager to win European trophies where the chances of that are quite high at Barca. I'm sure he's happy where he is but Barca and Real turn almost everyone's head.

If United go for Ibra you couldnt see them going for Lukaku too

Arsenal would be the only top PL team in current need of a striker, dunno if he'd suit them

Hopefully the people at Chelsea can convince him it was all down to Jose that he left

Ya, Utd also have Rashford and Martial, two very good players already.

I cant see us going after him unless we sell Costa back to Atletico, considering Lukkau funded Costas deal, selling Costa to fund Lukakus deal would be a bit mad. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd imagine he's eager to win European trophies where the chances of that are quite high at Barca. I'm sure he's happy where he is but Barca and Real turn almost everyone's head.

He was at Barcelona tho so why did he leave then?
    An expensive mistake by Barca just to resign him 3 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Would take an astronomical bid (in RB terms) for Arsenal to sell Bellerin. Talking 40m+

ERG89 wrote: »

Alves was at the peak of his powers then, he was never going to dislodge him.

It also wouldnt be the first time Barca have let young talent go to re-sign them, Cesc and Pique being prime examples.

I cant see Bellerin going back anytime soon though, maybe in a few years, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Alves was at the peak of his powers then, he was never going to dislodge him.

It also wouldnt be the first time Barca have let young talent go to re-sign them, Cesc and Pique being prime examples.

I cant see Bellerin going back anytime soon though, maybe in a few years, who knows.
    Arsenal seemed to be a feeder club for Man City these days. Pep at City, say no more!

ERG89 wrote: »

Times change very quickly in football. 3 years ago Bellerin hadnt made a name for himself in football and Alves was maybe the best RB in the world.

Now Bellerin is among the best RBs there is and Alves will reportedly be a Juventus player so the circumstances are very different.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Arsenal seemed to be a feeder club for Man City these days. Pep at City, say no more!

Arsenal are a lot stronger financially these days after buying their own stadium and have the repayments sorted. Arsenal are no feeder club to anyone anymore. They haven't lost a big player in three years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why does selling a declining 33 year old and a 31 year old who seems to want to give Italy a go, mean that they can't afford them?

I mean Barca cant afford Pogba, if there are struggling allready with Messi Neymar and Suarez how can they afford Pogba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I mean Barca cant afford Pogba, if there are struggling allready with Messi Neymar and Suarez how can they afford Pogba?

How can they not afford Pogba? I haven't seen anything to suggest they can't afford him. How do we know they even want him too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

SantryRed wrote: »
    How can they not afford Pogba? I haven't seen anything to suggest they can't afford him. How do we know they even want him too?

http://as.com/m/diarioas/2016/01/28/english/1453973380_879317.html?omnil=resrelart and theres other artices saying they have reached the ceiling with payments.This could be all lies for all I know and I dont know they even want Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Not a hope Bellerin is going back to Barca in the near future loves his life in london and hasn't been shy about it anytime he's been asked , and I'm sure he'll have seen what happened Fabregas too when he went back

Arsenal are a lot stronger financially these days after buying their own stadium and have the repayments sorted. Arsenal are no feeder club to anyone anymore. They haven't lost a big player in three years now.

They are but keeping a player from joining City and stopping them joining Barca are 2 very different tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

By "these days" do you mean "half a decade ago"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

By "these days" do you mean "half a decade ago"?

No, like Sagna left Arsenal and joined them only two seasons ago. I know he was out of contract but he still went from Arsenal to City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yep Arsenal don't seem to sell their best players in the same way anymore, not since RVP i'd say. Instead they slowly add quality (even if it isn't always in the most needed position) like Ozil, Sanchez, Cech and now Xhaka. The fact that Bellerin seems happy there too and that he has been developing so well there the past few seasons and that they showed such faith in him (putting him in ahead of Debuchy) suggests to me he will still be at the Emirates for a few more years as I don't expect Barca to force the issue with a 30m type bid and all the Barca DNA talk. In a few years maybe although who knows who they will replace Alves with and if they will have the need by then.

From current links in the papers im really hoping that one comes true, that is that United Dare to Zlatan. Would love to see him in the Premiership and him for a few years while Marital and Rashford continue to solidify their first team status and learn from him would be ideal, plus I honestly think Rooney might be done as a CF.

In fact I wonder would Mourinho move on Rooney if given the opportunity? the only thing is I doubt Wayne would be looking to head to China and I dunno who else would take on his wages at this stage, either way I think Zlatan although he would be on big wages would offer much better value for money on a free transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No, like Sagna left Arsenal and joined them only two seasons ago. I know he was out of contract but he still went from Arsenal to City.
    He went from Arsenal to nothing to City if you want to be pedantic about it...we haven't sold a player to City for 5 years. We're not going to sell anyone we want to keep to them any time soon either.

• Advertisement

Yep Arsenal don't seem to sell their best players in the same way anymore, not since RVP i'd say. Instead they slowly add quality (even if it isn't always in the most needed position) like Ozil, Sanchez, Cech and now Xhaka. The fact that Bellerin seems happy there too and that he has been developing so well there the past few seasons and that they showed such faith in him (putting him in ahead of Debuchy) suggests to me he will still be at the Emirates for a few more years as I don't expect Barca to force the issue with a 30m type bid and all the Barca DNA talk. In a few years maybe although who knows who they will replace Alves with and if they will have the need by then.

From current links in the papers im really hoping that one comes true, that is that United Dare to Zlatan. Would love to see him in the Premiership and him for a few years while Marital and Rashford continue to solidify their first team status and learn from him would be ideal, plus I honestly think Rooney might be done as a CF.

In fact I wonder would Mourinho move on Rooney if given the opportunity? the only thing is I doubt Wayne would be looking to head to China and I dunno who else would take on his wages at this stage, either way I think Zlatan although he would be on big wages would offer much better value for money on a free transfer.

From a Barcelona perspective I wouldn't understand the need for a stopgap signing between Alves and Bellerin while Alves is still perfectly capable.

You'd either keep Alves or sign Bellerin, unless the long-term plan is someone else, but Bellerin seems so obvious a choice.

I wouldn't dispute that Bellerin is happy at Arsenal but being happy at your club generally doesn't come into it once Barca show interest.

I can't really remember any examples of anyone who turned down Barca after the point when Guardiola came in and the new era truly took hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Could we get a Summer Transfer Window -2016 NO DISCUSSION and DISCUSSION threads? I hate jumping in here thinking someone's been signed and it's just people discussing some trivial hypothetical move to so and so.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Could we get a Summer Transfer Window -2016 NO DISCUSSION and DISCUSSION threads? I hate jumping in here thinking someone's been signed and it's just people discussing some trivial hypothetical move to so and so.

If you're just looking for people to update you on who has been signed you could surely use BBC etc? Why would some bother posting up a transfer if it wasn't to be discussed? What would be the purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

was a decent conversation i thought,no sniping,not like the soccer forum mostly lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

MagicIRL wrote: »

Sounds like this is what you're looking for:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's almost pointless saying whether or not a player is 'happy' at a club these days. Until an offer is made, not a rumour or specualtion of an offer, then I don't think we ever know how happy they are. If Barcelona made an acceptable offer for Bellerin tomorrow, I'd be quite surprised if he didn't go, no matter the talk of how settled etc he is in London. This why rumours of clubs interest is very easy to bat off and say you're happy, but when the actual real chance to go somewhere like this is the real metal of a players decision making.

Corholio wrote: »
    It's almost pointless saying whether or not a player is 'happy' at a club these days. Until an offer is made, not a rumour or specualtion of an offer, then I don't think we ever know how happy they are. If Barcelona made an acceptable offer for Bellerin tomorrow, I'd be quite surprised if he didn't go, no matter the talk of how settled etc he is in London. This why rumours of clubs interest is very easy to bat off and say you're happy, but when the actual real chance to go somewhere like this is the real metal of a players decision making.

Yeah that's true, but from an Arsenal perspective, why would they sell? It would have to be a ridiculous offer for a right back to even entertain the idea. I've no doubt that Bellerin would go if given the chance, but I don't see Arsenal selling unless the bid is north of £30 million and even then probably not.
    I don't see Barcelona spending that much on essentially a rookie right back, when there are more pressing areas in their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

And Barca don't have to sign a stop gap when they bought a RB last summer in Alex Vidal or whatever his name is , himself a fine player and definitley up to the challenge of replacing Alves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Just wondering about man United signing zlatan for huge money . My memory was the last time Rooney threw his toys out of the pram re a new contract it was reported that part of the new contract was that no other player could earn more than him and his salary would increase to match any new signings. if this the case signing Zlatan will have a huge effect on their wage bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rooney is on 250,000 a week - Ibrahimovic wants the same apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yeah that's true, but from an Arsenal perspective, why would they sell? It would have to be a ridiculous offer for a right back to even entertain the idea. I've no doubt that Bellerin would go if given the chance, but I don't see Arsenal selling unless the bid is north of £30 million and even then probably not.
    I don't see Barcelona spending that much on essentially a rookie right back, when there are more pressing areas in their team.

Oh I agree, I don't think Arsenal would accept an offer anyway unless Bellerin would specifically say he wanted to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rooney is on 250,000 a week - Ibrahimovic wants the same apparently.

i'd reckon you'd get far more value for money from Zlatan even at his age.

That said if I was a united fan I wouldn't mind seeing Rooney leave but who that he would want to go to (so probably not China) would pay jom that kinda wage really? I doubt anyone else at this point

If Alves leaves there won't be many more pressing areas. If Enrique saw Vidal as his successor he would have seen significantly more football this year. Not sure he even always made the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Vidal wasnt allowed to play till january.

Didnt play too much, i agree but those 6 moths didnt help.

inforfun wrote: »
    Vidal wasnt allowed to play till january.

Didnt play too much, i agree but those 6 moths didnt help.

Yeah he was banned for the first half, then made a few appearances but was then completely frozen out, like not even getting off the bench from March onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sounds like this is what you're looking for:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/transfers

Perfect, thank you! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yeah he was banned for the first half, then made a few appearances but was then completely frozen out, like not even getting off the bench from March onwards.

He wasn't banned he just wasn't allowed be registered.

ASOT wrote: »
    He wasn't banned he just wasn't allowed be registered.

Yeah the thing with Turan aswell, I just misphrased it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Hannover96/status/736862475723890688

Zieler to Leicester. Buyout clause of €3.5m was activated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wonder what that means for Schmeichel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Wonder what that means for Schmeichel?

Absolutely nothing, more to do with replacing the 43 year old Schwarzer who will probably retire now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

rob316 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing, more to do with replacing the 43 year old Schwarzer who will probably retire now.

Not sure how much sense it makes for a German international to sit on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rob316 wrote: »

Unless he goes somewhere like city to try benchwarm himself to a hattrick of pl titles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Don't think there's any chance Zieler becomes the number 1(?) so it is a terrible move for him. At 27 he should be playing every week.

Really disappointed he is going there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Oat23 wrote: »
    Don't think there's any chance Zieler becomes the number 1(?) so it is a terrible move for him. At 27 he should be playing every week.

Unless Leicester feel they're likely to be selling Schmeichel.

But yeah, I agree. Strange move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Oat23 wrote: »

I think it's a really bad sign if any goalkeeper is a sub between the ages of around 22 to 36.The sub goalie should either be a young lad waiting to make the breakthrough or an older experienced keeper on the way out.

Unlike every other position you won't get any chance to play barring an injury so basically you've signed up for warming the bench for a nice salary.

The likes of Begovic and Vorm 2 very good keepers decided to waste part of their careers for a bit more money which is quiet depressing when they could start for a decent amount of clubs across Europe.

I think it's a really bad sign if any goalkeeper is a sub between the ages of around 22 to 36.The sub goalie should either be a young lad waiting to make the breakthrough or an older experienced keeper on the way out.

Unlike every other position you won't get any chance to play barring an injury so basically you've signed up for warming the bench for a nice salary.

The likes of Begovic and Vorm 2 very good keepers decided to waste part of their careers for a bit more money which is quiet depressing when they could start for a decent amount of clubs across Europe.

Sven Ulreich (27) another one. Started at Stuttgart for 4/5 seasons and then left for Bayern last summer.

He made his Bayern league debut on the final day of the season 2 weeks ago when he was brought on in the 2nd half.

Waste of talent.

Guess he will get his matches with 3 cup tournaments and the league.
    Choice between 2nd Bundesliga and premier league..... tough one.
    Dont know if something like contract reviews when relegated are a thing in Germany, it is in Holland at some clubs.
    Review meaning of course, less pay.

Would find it a daft move if Hanover would still be Bundesliga. Not so sure now.

inforfun wrote: »
    Guess he will get his matches with 3 cup tournaments and the league.
    Choice between 2nd Bundesliga and premier league..... tough one.
    Dont know if something like contract reviews when relegated are a thing in Germany, it is in Holland at some clubs.
    Review meaning of course, less pay.

Would find it a daft move if Hanover would still be Bundesliga. Not so sure now.

Easy for me to say because it's fantasy, but if I was the first name on the team sheet every game for 5 years I think I'd want to continue playing every week, not move somewhere I would only play 10-15 games a season.

His €3.5m relegation clause was expiring and yes, he would have had a wage cut after relegation. He was forced into making a decision this weekend.

Then i guess he took a pay raise over a pay cut.

Of course you want to play every week as a profootball player and it would be easier if Schmeichel had been 36. Sit on the bench for a while and take over.

But look at Victor Valdes taking the adventure over a contract renewal for example at Barcelona.
    I really wouldnt mind to have to make such decisions but that still dont make them easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement