Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gary Neville transfers back to Sky Sports.

Rachel Riley joins him on Sky as the faces of Friday Night Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Gary Neville transfers back to Sky Sports.

Rachel Riley joins him on Sky as the faces of Friday Night Football.

I wonder why Rachel Riley is being selected as a host.

You'd have to feel sorry for genuine female sports journalists who want to be respected for their journalism ability because clearly Sky have decided that idea is pure bull and went for looks instead (not that I'm complaining I suppose so I guess I'm part of the problem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I wonder why Rachel Riley is being selected as a host.

You'd have to feel sorry for genuine female sports journalists who want to be respected for their journalism ability because clearly Sky have decided that idea is pure bull and went for looks instead (not that I'm complaining I suppose so I guess I'm part of the problem).

I assume she is just playing the role of presenter though. The Bill O'Herlihy role. Not being relied on for in-depth punditry. And she is a very smart woman, not just a pretty face by any means.

CSF wrote: »
    I assume she is just playing the role of presenter though. The Bill O'Herlihy role. Not being relied on for in-depth punditry. And she is a very smart woman, not just a pretty face by any means.

Sure she's smart but I just can't see why they wouldn't get a sports presenter from Sky to host it.Someone with a proper degree of interest in the area.

I suppose it is just a TV show so it isn't that important it just must be frustrating for anyone where sport is their area of expertise to be overlooked.There is already a perception that female sports hosts are there mainly for one reason and one reason only, this is hardly going top help change it, not that that's Sky's job I guess they're just interested in getting viewers.

• I wonder why Rachel Riley is being selected as a host.

Clearly Sky have picked all the Sky / SSN presenters because they are good looking.
    But seriously, everything is gone so PC it's overkill. Doesn't mean that the good looking woman aren't good at the job. I'd assume the majority of viewers watching SSN etc are men. Hence the reason the woman are good looking. I'd say not many want to watch Rosie O'Donnell announce the headlines.
    And anyway what about the good looking men on SSN? Nobody bats an eyelid.
    Can't say much for Gary Neville tho, I'm sure he's a hum-dinger
    I'd assume her role would be something along the lines of presenting initial match details / venues / team news etc in front of a screen but I could be wrong.
    Awaiting the "OMG he's a pig because he spoke the truth" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sure she's smart but I just can't see why they wouldn't get a sports presenter from Sky to host it.Someone with a proper degree of interest in the area.

I suppose it is just a TV show so it isn't that important it just must be frustrating for anyone where sport is their area of expertise to be overlooked.

Rachel Riley was Sky Sports News right? And then went and got a load of TV experience elsewhere.

I think when you look at the kind of people that usually play the roles for other channels, it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Clearly Sky have picked all the Sky / SSN presenters because they are good looking.
    But seriously, everything is gone so PC it's overkill. Doesn't mean that the good looking woman aren't good at the job. I'd assume the majority of people watching SSN etc are men. Hence the reason the woman are good looking. I'd say not many want to watch Rosie O'Donnell announce the headlines on SSN.
    And anyway what about the good looking men on SSN? Nobody bats an eyelid.
    Can't say much for Gary Neville tho, I'm sure he's a hum-dinger
    Awaiting the "OMG he's a pig because he spoke the truth" :rolleyes:

I'm not saying their not good at the job however the perception exists rightly or wrongly (look at Joe Brolly's comments on Rachel Wyse last year), and I'm just pointing out in large part the reason she's being picked and it just seems odd picking someone from outside the sports broadcasting field to be a sports presenter on a sports channel.

I don't really care one way or the other just making an observation is all.

CSF wrote: »
    Rachel Riley was Sky Sports News right? And then went and got a load of TV experience elsewhere.

I think when you look at the kind of people that usually play the roles for other channels, it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

No she was never on SSN.

• I'm not saying their not good at the job however the perception exists rightly or wrongly (look at Joe Brolly's comments on Rachel Wyse last year), and I'm just pointing out in large part the reason she's being picked and it just seems odd picking someone from outside the sports broadcasting field to be a sports presenter on a sports channel.

I don't really care one way or the other just making an observation is all.

Rachel's response to Brolly was class, she knows her stuff and he was put in his place tbf.
    On Rachel R, at least she's a football fan. This was surely a great opportunity that couldn't be turned down. She may well take the journalistic route.
    Anyway off-topic stuff so I'm done.

• Pogba Medical @ Utd
    Confirmed by Sky & BBC

d829201aac7cd941a34b5c8d90e974814b5eb6b85639c450824c92e47bd99223.jpg

• Advertisement

Pogba Medical @ Utd
    Confirmed by Sky & BBC

Imagine if he failed the medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Imagine if he failed the medical.

Never would have wanted him anyway....*shifty*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Andersonisgod's happy fun time season prediction: Gundogan to have a considerably better season than Pogba.

• Imagine if he failed the medical.

I just glad the bull**** saga is coming to an end!
    But yea having Pogba is a bonus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Andersonisgod's happy fun time season prediction: Gundogan to have a considerably better season than Pogba.

That's not much of a prediction considering Gundogan has been playing better than him for a few years now and he established himself sooner than Pogba. He'll be a better player than Pogba if he can stay fit but there are massive question marks over his back problems.

glued wrote: »
    That's not much of a prediction considering Gundogan has been playing better than him for a few years now and he established himself sooner than Pogba. He'll be a better player than Pogba if he can stay fit but there are massive question marks over his back problems.

Thats some reasonable common sense, a lot of which I would agree with. However the last time I floated this point of view I wasnt met with such logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Which makes it all the more transparent why you posted it again :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

145 million euro is mental. I'm just a fan of the sport and no actual team. But i hope he completely fails to live up to even a third of the price tag. Outrageous fees floating about. Something has to give for clubs to question these big fees. Hope Higuain flops as well.

What is Poga, early 20's? Ridiculous pressure put on him to live up to his fee and stay injury free.

Which makes it all the more transparent why you posted it again :)

Well before it was hypothetical because he hadn't officially joined. Now its actually happening so its far more relevant and, given the price of both players, more poignant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Going from playing with Pjanic, Marchisio and Pjaca to Fellaini, Carrick and Herrera will be a challenge anyway. I imagine he'll have to play the same position he did with France at the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

145 million euro is mental. I'm just a fan of the sport and no actual team. But i hope he completely fails to live up to even a third of the price tag. Outrageous fees floating about. Something has to give for clubs to question these big fees. Hope Higuain flops as well.

What is Poga, early 20's? Ridiculous pressure put on him to live up to his fee and stay injury free.

I'm sure the mountains of coin he's going to earn will help ease the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Going from playing with Pjanic, Marchisio and Pjaca to Fellaini, Carrick and Herrera will be a challenge anyway. I imagine he'll have to play the same position he did with France at the Euros.

Playing him in a reserved roll a la France at euros would be massive waste of his talent.
    Can't see him playing that position this season. Utd have been crying out for a dynamic ball carrier for last few seasons and that's the roll I see hm playing. Better options in the squad to play that withdrawn roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yeah, I'm sure he will really miss that understanding he developed with Pjanic and Pjaca...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well it's good to see the chequebook manager hasn't changed his ways.

keano_afc wrote: »

Arsenal fans complaining about other teams spending money is cute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

keano_afc wrote: »

But United make so much money, the three main sponsors:
    Per year:
    Adidas £75 million
    Chevrolet £47 million
    Aon £20 million
    That is before the long list of all the other sponsors, those three total around £142 million per year.

United spend so far:
    Pogba £89 million
    Bailly £30 million
    Mkhitaryan £26.2 million
    Ibrahimovic Free

Total spent on players: £145.2 million

United are not a bank and should spend the money they make which is set to be around £510 million for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

RobertKK wrote: »
    But United make so much money, the three main sponsors:
    Per year:
    Adidas £75 million
    Chevrolet £47 million
    Aon £20 million
    That is before the long list of all the other sponsors, those three total around £142 million per year.

United spend so far:
    Pogba £89 million
    Bailly £30 million
    Mkhitaryan £26.2 million
    Ibrahimovic Free

Total spent on players: £145.2 million

United are not a bank and should spend the money they make which is set to be around £510 million for 2016.

Yeah it's a lot of money for a player, but you are spot on. Money spent on players is better than the money sitting in the bank depreciating, especially with rising transfer costs. Arsenal missed a trick last summer not buying any players (bar Cech) and leaving the money sitting in the bank.

If they had spent money on players last summer than the value of the players they bought would have increased a summer later, instead the unspent money has depreciated over time. Obviously this is a simplistic view of it, but Wenger and Arsenal will have to change that.

Yeah, I'm sure he will really miss that understanding he developed with Pjanic and Pjaca...

He would have played with them next season obviously. I obviously wasn't going to mention Vidal or Pirlo either as that was the past which just makes it look even worse when he plays with midfielders of much lower quality or Rooney pretending he can play there again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Pogba cost United €105m. Last summer that would have been £75m when the sterling hit 1.4 against the euro, today it's about £89m. That's a significant difference for British clubs

• Advertisement

He would have played with them next season obviously. I obviously wasn't going to mention Vidal or Pirlo either as that was the past which just makes it look even worse when he plays with midfielders of much lower quality or Rooney pretending he can play there again :o

He's not "going from" playing with Vidal or Pirlo either. He's "going from" playing with Khedira and Hernanes. Why don't you just say that or does it not have that impact you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Arsenal fans complaining about other teams spending money is cute :pac:
    +£1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Frank de Boer replaces Roberto Mancini as Inter Milan boss two weeks before the start of the Serie A season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3728524/Frank-Boer-replaces-Roberto-Mancini-Inter-Milan-boss-two-weeks-start-Serie-season.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well before it was hypothetical because he hadn't officially joined. Now its actually happening so its far more relevant and, given the price of both players, more poignant too.

Xhaka will have a better season than both !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a shock as judged by their dismal pre-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There is no doubt about Pogba is a brillant signing. Overpriced but he is a brillant CM. He will probably need time adjusting from Serie A to PL football.
    He has played his best playing in a 3 in midfield or on the left of a diamond. Not at his best in a midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1.
    Also he has been surrounded by great players like Marchisio,Pjanic & in the past Vidal & Pirlo not someone like Fellaini,Herrara or Schneiderlein who has been poor at Man Utd.

• Advertisement

He's not "going from" playing with Vidal or Pirlo either. He's "going from" playing with Khedira and Hernanes. Why don't you just say that or does it not have that impact you're after?

Hernanes wasn't a starter. Judging by the lack of activity on the Serie a thread on here very few people have watched them other than i the CL.
    Frank de Boer replaces Roberto Mancini as Inter Milan boss two weeks before the start of the Serie A season

In the last week he was going, then bizarrely signing a new contract?? and now he's gone. Pre season or not the result vs Spurs was woeful.
    Inter are a weird one, they have some good players (Icardi, Miranda, Candreva, Banega, Handanovic, Perisic) but have a habit of buying players then not knowing what to do with them, Eder who they wanted for ages barely played, Kondogbia was a big signing but in and out of the team so much anyone would struggle for form, Brozovic got dropped after a great performance in the cup vs Juve.

Hernanes wasn't a starter. Judging by the lack of activity on the Serie a thread on here very few people have watched them other than i the CL.

In the last week he was going, then bizarrely signing a new contract?? and now he's gone. Pre season or not the result vs Spurs was woeful.
    Inter are a weird one, they have some good players (Icardi, Miranda, Candreva, Banega, Handanovic, Perisic) but have a habit of buying players then not knowing what to do with them, Eder who they wanted for ages barely played, Kondogbia was a big signing but in and out of the team so much anyone would struggle for form, Brozovic got dropped after a great performance in the cup vs Juve.

I was giving you 2 alternatives to add to Marchisio other than the 2 he didn't play with last season and the 2 he won't be playing with this season that you put forward.

Not commenting on something doesn't mean it's not being watched btw. If I commented on everything I was interested in across the whole of boards.ie I wouldn't have a second to myself. I'm a big GAA fan, never post in that forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Inter have a good team, the problem is (was) Mancini. Overly defensive, and some bizarre decisions like giving Felipe Melo time on the pitch. A better manager and they're in the CL with that team.

• ERG89 wrote: »

Laughably this has been said in here before. Is this some boards.ie rubberstamp proof that people are not watching other leagues?

greendom wrote: »

I like Xhaka a lot. Though I do think Gundogan will shine in Guardiola's side will Xhaka may be hampered by Arsenal's haphazard approach to defending the counterattack, that being said I'd fancy him to have a better season than Pogba.

• Advertisement

• It's comical at this stage :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It's comical at this stage :P

Yep spending over €100 million on a player you let go a couple of seasons ago for virtually free is very funny especially considering he didn't perform at the euros ;)

• gandalf wrote: »
    Yep spending over €100 million on a player you let go a couple of seasons ago for virtually free is very funny especially considering he didn't perform at the euros ;)

Touche

But sure hey a benchmark for Pogba is now him playing out of position at the Euros

He's just a pure Spoofer, waist of time, never should have brought him back. I'm a shareholder which is why it hurts even more.

It's comical at this stage :P

Its comical because of the amount of money spent on Pogba. Hes a big name, ideal for marketing, he has a celebrity, partyboy lifestyle and he's plastered all over newspapers. He has his haircuts and his dab and that's all well and good, I dont deny that he has potential. However it's on the football pitch that counts in my mind, not how many jerseys you sell or how many silly phrases marketing folks can make using your name. On the pitch Gundogan and Xhaka do it every week, they are fantastic players who have developed what Pogba's game sorely lacks; true football intelligence. While you can't doubt Pogba's potential, I have my doubts as to whether he will ever fulfil it. Give me a guy like Gundogan or Xhaka any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Inter have a good team, the problem is (was) Mancini. Overly defensive, and some bizarre decisions like giving Felipe Melo time on the pitch. A better manager and they're in the CL with that team.
    Inter are chopping & changing way too much with players. Lost Juan Jesus to Roma as well. Kondogbia has been very poor. No creativity in CM either as they have too many defensive,strong,athletic CM's in Kondogbia,Medel,Melo. Banega should be a good signing to add some creativity in midfield.

Candreva wasn't really needed though imo. Miranda is a great CB. I think Inter under De Boer could have a very good season. They have a decent squad just need to find a settled team & formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

greendom wrote: »

Grujic better than all of them!

• The same guy who was named in the 2015 Uefa team of the year
    The same guy was named in he 2015 Fifpro World 11
    Those haircuts seriously getting him places
    Not a brain cell in his head, no idea what to do with the ball

The same guy who was named in the 2015 Uefa team of the year
    The same guy was named in he 2015 Fifpro World 11
    Those haircuts seriously getting him places
    Not a brain cell in his head, no idea what to do with the ball

Ye, same guy. A big name goes a long way. Lacks tactical discipline, far too prone to trying the spectacular when simple passes would be far better, often more of a liability than an asset in a double pivot and, despite having been around at the top level for a while now, still does not dominate a game in a way that the great midfielders (Busquets, Iniesta, Modric, Kroos, Yaya Toure in his prime ect.) do. Like I said, the potential is there but it requires the right coach and the right environment to coax the best out of him. I dont think that is Mourinho and I dont think that is Man Utd in 2016.

• West Ham United have signed Arthur Masuaku from Olympiacos on a 3-year deal.

Also Nasri Could be on his way out of City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads Pogba has never played with Pjanic I'm not sure why people keep saying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement