Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its comical because of the amount of money spent on Pogba. Hes a big name, ideal for marketing, he has a celebrity, partyboy lifestyle and he's plastered all over newspapers. He has his haircuts and his dab and that's all well and good, I dont deny that he has potential. However it's on the football pitch that counts in my mind, not how many jerseys you sell or how many silly phrases marketing folks can make using your name. On the pitch Gundogan and Xhaka do it every week, they are fantastic players who have developed what Pogba's game sorely lacks; true football intelligence. While you can't doubt Pogba's potential, I have my doubts as to whether he will ever fulfil it. Give me a guy like Gundogan or Xhaka any day of the week.

What's a dab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Its comical because of the amount of money spent on Pogba. Hes a big name, ideal for marketing, he has a celebrity, partyboy lifestyle and he's plastered all over newspapers. He has his haircuts and his dab and that's all well and good, I dont deny that he has potential. However it's on the football pitch that counts in my mind, not how many jerseys you sell or how many silly phrases marketing folks can make using your name. On the pitch Gundogan and Xhaka do it every week, they are fantastic players who have developed what Pogba's game sorely lacks; true football intelligence. While you can't doubt Pogba's potential, I have my doubts as to whether he will ever fulfil it. Give me a guy like Gundogan or Xhaka any day of the week.

You're keen on Xhaka AIG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

AIG talks some ****e but a fit Gundogan is a better midfield player than a fit Pogba, unfortunately hes a bit of a crock these days so its all a bit irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dickerty wrote: »
    Grujic better than all of them!

Obviously we're kidding about but if he stays healthy in two or three years he looks like he could "monster" the midfield in a way not seen since Patrick Vieira was in his pomp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I get what you're saying BTW. It's the Real Madrid approach.

But if we forget about the price tag which was largely dictated by marketing potential for a minute.

I guess what I'm asking is 'does Pogba improve Man U' and currently 'are there better options'

The first is a definite 'Yes'. The second, well I don't know quite enough about other leagues but there can't be much in it.

The transfer makes sense for footballing reasons. The price tag makes sense for financial reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pjanic 32m 10 goals & 10 assists in Serie A 15/16
    Pogba €110m 8 goals & 12 assists in Serie A 15/16

I think we know who got the better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

gosplan wrote: »
    You're keen on Xhaka AIG?

I am. Having seen him play quite a bit with Monchengladbach (and he sas key to the exciting brand of football which they play) and the odd time for Switzerland he's won me over, I'm very much a fan of his. Does the defensive side of the game well and his distribution is excellent, always available as a passing option, a fantastic signing for Arsenal who have been lacking such a player for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

ASOT wrote: »
    Lads Pogba has never played with Pjanic I'm not sure why people keep saying it.

If that's aimed at me I was being sarcastic.

• Obsessing over comparisons and price-tags when ultimately it doesn't matter a ****e.
    A great signing which some people can't fathom because it hurts a little inside that it happens to be Utd who have him signed up without kicking a ball in the CL this season.
    Even Souness is at it. He's become a sub-standard midfielder in the last week.
    Salt is starting to taste sweet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MD1990 wrote: »

Yeah United.

At age 23:
    Pjanic in the league: played 38 games, scored 6, assists 6.
    Pogba in the league: played 35 games, scored 8, assists 13.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Obsessing over comparisons and price-tags when ultimately it doesn't matter a ****e.
    A great signing which some people can't fathom because it hurts a little inside that it happens to be Utd who have him signed up without kicking a ball in the CL this season.

Or....

You've convinced yourself this is a great signing based on a few gifs, maybe even a Youtube video, a small handful of CL games (that might not even be guaranteed) and a sub standard Euros. Why are there player comparisons? Because when your closest rivals are also signing central midfielders of course they are going to compare, particularly when the other 2 are signing better footballers for a third of the price, what do you expect?

Again, nobody is doubting his potential but I absolutely agree that in some fundamental regards for a central midfielder he is sub-standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

https://twitter.com/squawka/status/686609991579635712

One can see why he the opposition is concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Or....

You've convinced yourself this is a great signing based on a few gifs, maybe even a Youtube video, a small handful of CL games (that might not even be guaranteed) and a sub standard Euros. Why are there player comparisons? Because when your closest rivals are also signing central midfielders of course they are going to compare, particularly when the other 2 are signing better footballers for a third of the price, what do you expect?

Again, nobody is doubting his potential but I absolutely agree that in some fundamental regards for a central midfielder he is sub-standard.

Surely in some fundamental regards being fit enough to play is number one so does that mean that Gundogan is sub-standard as well?

I'm a huge Gundogan fan but the fact still remains that there is a huge element of risk in his transfer. He really needs to show that he can stay fit continuously before he can be classed as a truly great player.

astradave wrote: »
    Surely in some fundamental regards being fit enough to play is number one so does that mean that Gundogan is sub-standard as well?

I'm a huge Gundogan fan but the fact still remains that there is a huge element of risk in his transfer. He really needs to show that he can stay fit continuously before he can be classed as a truly great player.

Im not even classing him as a truly great player, though I believe he could get there if his fitness holds up and having now worked under Tuchel and Guardiola. Personally I believe there are extenuating curcumstances that may have added to his fitness issues in the past and, hopefully now, those will subside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Its a cancer that destroys any kind of football debate around anything Man Utd related.

Cancer? Seriously? Feck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm all for opinion on transfer dealings/football stuff in general and I would be slightly critical of the money Man United are paying for Pogba. Not saying it won't be a good signing.

I've only seen a handful of Juventus games and what he did at the Euros and I personally don't think he's worth that kind of money.

However, AIG, you need to stop basing your opinion as fact. You're not an overseer of this forum or football in general so get off your bloody high horse.

Can you dig that vertical drop?

My least favourite thing on this forum: Posters make valid football argument which should invite decent debate.

Man Utd fans: "They speak negatively of our player, they must be afraid of him. AHA!"

Its a cancer that destroys any kind of football debate around anything Man Utd related.

It is valid. When a rival club buys a player one would like at their club, in the fan's mind the player is not as good. It is like a way to get over their disappointment.
    Graeme Souness was doing it today, he said Pogba won't change many games.
    If he had signed for the club he loves, he would be a great signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm all for opinion on transfer dealings/football stuff in general and I would be slightly critical of the money Man United are paying for Pogba. Not saying it won't be a good signing.

I've only seen a handful of Juventus games and what he did at the Euros and I personally don't think he's worth that kind of money.

However, AIG, you need to stop basing your opinion as fact. You're not an overseer of this forum or football in general so get off your bloody high horse.

Can you dig that vertical drop?

Is there really a need to get this worked up still, when the lad has openly admitted to what he is on this forum to do, and you're still eagerly rising to it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/squawka/status/686609991579635712

One can see why he the opposition is concerned.

He won't win any Best Hair Competitions anyway :D

• Advertisement

• emmetkenny wrote: »

Fellani will ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is valid. When a rival club buys a player one would like at their club, in the fan's mind the player is not as good. It is like a way to get over their disappointment.
    Graeme Souness was doing it today, he said Pogba won't change many games.
    If he had signed for the club he loves, he would be a great signing.

While it's not invalid, I do think the OP had a good point. The way social media/forums have developed, any slightly disparaging remark by an opposition fan is dismissed because they're an opposition fan. Oftentimes, it can be a good point ignored because of tribalism. Other times, it can be absolute crap.

My own two cents - Pogba is a top player. But I am no more afraid of United with Pogba than United without Pogba. For me, Mourinho is the main reason United will improve this season - he'll be pragmatic when it comes to the players that LVG couldn't get performing I think, which will make a huge difference - I'd expect a much better season from Schneiderlin, Herrera, etc., as well as the improvements that'll come from Mkhitaryan, Ibra and Pogba.

• Rodriguez heading to PSG from Madrid
    Good signing if they can keep him Fit IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rodriguez heading to PSG from Madrid

Given PSG have signed Jese and look to be sgining James, you have to wonder, with a transfer ban hanging over their heads, who are Real going to bolster their squad with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Given PSG have signed Jese and look to be sgining James, you have to wonder, with a transfer ban hanging over their heads, who are Real going to bolster their squad with?
    POGBA....

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

POGBA....

*runs*

Maybe in 4 years time, theyve missed the boat this summer though. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter wrote: »
    I still don't understand how Arsenal managed to get £15m for him two years ago when he was in the last year of his contract.

He wasn't even that good and everyone knew he was a crock.

I always think 'cooking the books' when I see weird stuff like that.

Fellani will ;)

Oh dear lord sweet Jesus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rodriguez heading to PSG from Madrid
    Jese right, not James?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm stunned PSG have got Jese - and for that price. The reason Madrid initially let Morata leave was because they had Jese, but now it seems like that situation has totally reversed as Zidane doesn't want to let Morata go.

The only thing I can think is maybe Madrid have detected a loss in his pace since he came back from injury.

I'm wondering does Jese's arrival mean PSG might let Jean-Kevin Augustin go; he looked terrific at the recent U-19 Euros. He looks to me like the type of player Arsene Wenger would be keen on and I noticed he was left on the bench at the weekend for PSG's Trophee des Champions win over Lyon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Obsessing over comparisons and price-tags when ultimately it doesn't matter a ****e.

United lost him for virtually nothing and buy him back a couple years later for an absolute fortune. I know money is kinda immaterial at United as they have so much of it (is it half a billion spent since Ferguson left?) but I think any club would be questioned/mocked a little in the same circumstances. That's not to say it's a bad signing.

• Jese right, not James?

Mr Nice Guy cleared it up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Always thought Jese was quite poor when I watched him with Madrid, I don't think he'll improve PSG's Champions League chances at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I rember cockily saying similar the summer Liverpool signed the top scorer in France, Cisse, for less than Chelsea had just signed Drogba for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I rember cockily saying similar the summer Liverpool signed the top scorer in France, Cisse, for less than Chelsea had just signed Drogba for.

Indeed. Sometimes it's not about what players did in the past but what they will do in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah, not sure what the fuss over Jese is tbh.

Looked nothing more than a decent squad player at Madrid. Unless he's one of those late developers, I don't see him being good enough to be a regular at PSG.

• United lost him for virtually nothing and buy him back a couple years later for an absolute fortune. I know money is kinda immaterial at United as they have so much of it (is it half a billion spent since Ferguson left?) but I think any club would be questioned/mocked a little in the same circumstances. That's not to say it's a bad signing.

Football prices are what they are, steadily rising everyday. In a few years that kind of money will be shrapnel. Troy Deeney is valued at 30 million and nobody bats an eyelid.

No other club would be able to buy Pogba anyway. Even Madrid got slapped.
    It's a real statement of intent by Utd which has been badly needed for so long in the Market. I can't remember the last time Utd went up against a club the size of Madrid and blow them away.
    In particular when looking for a midfield player of this caliber where we have been sub-par for multiple years.

When Pogba left it ended up being the perfect mental remedy for him to prove himself which he has clearly done so with Juve. Ego is king. If you ain't got a big Ego then your never going to be the best if you don't believe it yourself.
    His value is part and parcel of that development now as well as his image and everything that comes with it. Overrated at that price yea. But same could be said the same about Bale.

It's not a given that he would develop at such an accelerated rate if given the chance when he was younger at Utd. Fergie may or may not have made a mistake but the club will see the benefits even if there has been an initial hit.
    He's coming back and is going to be a star if he continues to be nurtured in correct manner. He's a long way to go but People forget he's only 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Football prices are what they are, steadily rising everyday. In a few years that kind of money will be shrapnel. Troy Deeney is valued at 30 million and nobody bats an eyelid.

No other club would be able to buy Pogba anyway. Even Madrid got slapped.
    It's a real statement of intent by Utd which has been badly needed for so long in the Market. I can't remember the last time Utd went up against a club the size of Madrid and blow them away.
    In particular when looking for a midfield player of this caliber where we have been sub-par for multiple years.

When Pogba left it ended up being the perfect mental remedy for him to prove himself which he has clearly done so with Juve. Ego is king. If you ain't got a big Ego then your never going to be the best if you don't believe it yourself.
    His value is part and parcel of that development now as well as his image and everything that comes with it. Overrated at that price yea. But same could be said the same about Bale.

It's not a given that he would develop at such an accelerated rate if given the chance when he was younger at Utd. Fergie may or may not have made a mistake but the club will see the benefits even if there has been an initial hit.
    He's coming back and is going to be a star if he continues to be nurtured in correct manner. He's a long way to go but People forget he's only 23.
    Nobody bats an eyelid:confused:. That price was laughed at by everybody & used as an example to show out of control the transfer market has got. He is staying at Watford as no one will pay that much for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Fergie may or may not have made a mistake but the club will see the benefits even if there has been an initial hit.

May or may not have? He definitely made a massive mistake. They're buying the guy back for a £100 million hit or whatever the fee is.

You can argue that he may not be the player he is now if they had bent over to his demands and got him to stay, I don't think he ever had an attitude or work ethic problem though so chances are if he got given the chance he'd be there or thereabouts regardless. He was never given the chance and that was, in hindsight, clearly a massive mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Nobody bats an eyelid:confused:. That price was laughed at by everybody & used as an example to show out of control the transfer market has got. He is staying at Watford as no one will pay that much for him.

I know paper doesn't refuse ink but it was widely reported that a 25 million offer from Leicester was turned down, so while it is a good example of the crazy market there was someone willing to pay near that much from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, not sure what the fuss over Jese is tbh.

Looked nothing more than a decent squad player at Madrid. Unless he's one of those late developers, I don't see him being good enough to be a regular at PSG.

He was excellent at the U-20 World Cup in 2013 and there was a period when Ancelotti was there that he started getting starts for Madrid. Ancelotti said he thought he was insanely talented. But then he started having injury issues and his progress was halted.

Who knows whether he can get back to where he was, but for the price mentioned, and in this transfer market now, I'd say it was a shrewd buy from PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

emmetkenny wrote: »

Wtf has his hairdo got to do with anything?

Wtf has his hairdo got to do with anything?

Everything... It has everything to do with it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watford actually rejected a 30m pound bid for him....

Premier league valuations are irrelevant these days anyways. If Watford think losing deeney would mean relegation, then technically they value him at 50m+.

• jive wrote: »
    May or may not have? He definitely made a massive mistake. They're buying the guy back for a £100 million hit or whatever the fee is.

You can argue that he may not be the player he is now if they had bent over to his demands and got him to stay, I don't think he ever had an attitude or work ethic problem though so chances are if he got given the chance he'd be there or thereabouts regardless. He was never given the chance and that was, in hindsight, clearly a massive mistake.

I have made my point and I don't agree with this opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GavRedKing wrote: »

There were reports made after it was know that Pogba was going to United that they would turn their attention to Hazard.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Everything... It has everything to do with it :P

Salty ;)

37.5 million pounds for Andy Carroll
    Pogba's looks like good business imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

37.5 million pounds for Andy Carroll
    Pogba's looks like good business imo

Great signing but it's not a good deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Salty ;)

What's salty? Me over the Pogba signing?

Not a chance. I think he'll do well and I've been saying for a long time now that the transfer fees make very little difference. You pay what you feel the player is worth and that's it.

I don't get this whole thing of so and so cost four Troy Deeneys or half a bottle of ketchup and jar of Mayo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement