Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Are you saying it wasn't a mistake to let him go?

Forgetting about money, irrespective of Juve being better for his development, Pogba was always going to be a quality player.

United punted him not when they needed that sort of player the most. His time at Juve coincided probably with worst midfield United have had since the 80's.

They have him back now, buts he's player that could really have done with over the last few years

Of course it was a mistake letting him go but like a lot of things, hindsight is 20/20.

Fergie was not infallible, he made cock ups like his handling of Beckham, Keane, Stam etc.

However its not as not as simple as saying we simply let Pogba go.

He, as a 19 year old, went to Fergie, the greatest manager of all time and an individual notorious for not bowing to the demands of player's and pretty much demanded guaranteed playing time which Fergie rightly couldn't agree to.

The agent got on the case ans off he trotted to Juve.

We made a mistake not appointing Jose when Fergie left but I think that will ultimately be to our benefit because Jose knows this job is his last chance saloon in the PL so hopefully he won't get involved in the uglier aspects that have marred his tenures elsewhere.

We made a mistake not keeping Pogba but I think that will also ultimately be to our benefit because he got a chance to play at a high level, week in, week out and play alongside icons like Pirlo.

It was a mistake, and an expensive one but when the club has as much money as United do you can make costly mistakes, with the amount of revenue Pogba will bring in from merchandise alone the fee will be more than covered.

If his development continues upwards as it has done, and there is no reason to think it won't, then onfield success will likely follow, that will bring more money from prizes and TV, that in turn will bring more revenue from merch, the cycle will continue and ultimately the club will be the big winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I don't know why people are giving out with how much UTD are speeding on Pogba?. Yes we let him go for free and had to buy him back but it isn't my money so I don't care.

People are also forgot that for euro games hr is classed as a home grown player. Your more or less adding a bit of valve for that..

Also with man UTD needing quality players I think once this team clicks this is maybe the best UTD team in years as there is fantasic players for everywhere on the pitch.

Look at Liverpool spent a good 35 mil on Meme or how ever you spell it. I rate lingard a better player who plays with a Hart....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

£89 million is the figure I see quoted most.

Not quite as sensational as €145 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't know why people are giving out with how much UTD are speeding on Pogba?. Yes we let him go for free and had to buy him back but it isn't my money so I don't care.

People are also forgot that for euro games hr is classed as a home grown player. Your more or less adding a bit of valve for that..

Also with man UTD needing quality players I think once this team clicks this is maybe the best UTD team in years as there is fantasic players for everywhere on the pitch.

Look at Liverpool spent a good 35 mil on Meme or how ever you spell it. I rate lingard a better player who plays with a Hart....

Why is this line even added into a discussion on Pogba.

Is there any chance the Pogba chat could be moved to its own thread. Other transfer stories are getting lost in eth pages and pages of discussion about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Has he gone to city or has he signed a new deal with head and shoulders??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Now unless you dont have a season ticket (cheapest £537 with the added bonus of having to buy any fa/league cup home match tickets), buy your utd kit on a Chinese knock off site, watch all matches via an illegal stream, it is more or less you money.

In any normal business heads would roll if part of the business is given away for free only to be bought back 4 years later for astronomical money.

But then again, what is normal. Pay £/€100 million or thereabouts for Pogba and still end up with Daley "let me pass sideways" Blind in defence.

• Well its over now, deal announced, 5 years with club option for a 6th

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Why is this line even added into a discussion on Pogba.

Is there any chance the Pogba chat could be moved to its own thread. Other transfer stories are getting lost in eth pages and pages of discussion about it.

Wow, discussing the biggest transfer of all time, in the transfer thread, I never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wow, discussing the biggest transfer of all time, in the transfer thread, I never.

I don't have an issue with discussing the biggest transfer of all time. Since it is the biggest transfer of all time i think it deserves it's own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All the more reason for it to have its own thread, in all fairness. Don't mind it too much but now that it's been mentioned, this transfer absolutely deserves a thread to itself, or it could be kept to the United superthread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

inforfun wrote: »
    Now unless you dont have a season ticket (cheapest £537 with the added bonus of having to buy any fa/league cup home match tickets), buy your utd kit on a Chinese knock off site, watch all matches via an illegal stream, it is more or less you money.

In any normal business heads would roll if part of the business is given away for free only to be bought back 4 years later for astronomical money.

But then again, what is normal. Pay £/€100 million or thereabouts for Pogba and still end up with Daley "let me pass sideways" Blind in defence.

Ahh Yeh sure when your at it just knock the club for having a member of one of the best defences in the league last year which they have already add to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.football365.com/news/have-uefa-accidentally-confirmed-stones-to-man-city

UEFA seem to have confirmed John Stones' move to Man City by listing him in their CL squad with the number 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Your saying you don't understand why people are complaining about the fee for Pogba and in your last sentence you turn around make reference to £35m for Mane.

That just doesn't make sense. If the fee dosnt matter for Pogba then surely the fee doesn't matter for Mane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There was sufficient tutting at anything resembling a long ball.

I have a hilarious image of you managing a group of five highly confused boardies.

Roaring from the sidelines...

'No, you're the double pivot'

'Vertical pass. Go! Vertical pass.'

http://www.football365.com/news/have-uefa-accidentally-confirmed-stones-to-man-city

UEFA seem to have confirmed John Stones' move to Man City by listing him in their CL squad with the number 24.

£50 million, unbelievable business for Everton.

Apparently it also opens up the ffp threshold for them. Stones was listed as an asset @ 1.5 million so the balance (less 15% to Barnsley) is shown as profit.

Hopefully there'll be a bit of activity over the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lets try get back to that discussion at hand, transfers.

Cards have been handed out and subsequent cards may follow pending a review of posts and if off topic chat continues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In any normal business heads would roll if part of the business is given away for free only to be bought back 4 years later for astronomical money.I

Sigh. First, Utd didn't let him go for free. He refused to sign the new contract he was offered and Utd got £400,000 for him.

Second, Ferguson and Gill were running the club at the time. Both left 3 years ago. Who's heads do you want to roll from the current setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

martyos121 wrote: »
    All the more reason for it to have its own thread, in all fairness.

First few posts... Why does this need its own thread?

GavRedKing wrote: »

How on earth is this acceptable?
    It is supposed to be a squad list, not a wish list.

• Advertisement

UEFA have confirmed it isn't an error, too.

Deal must have concluded before midnight last night to get him into the squad in time.

The clubs just haven't announced it - which, tbf, they are never actually under an obligation to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

'UEFA received all UEFA Champions League play-off squad lists ahead of the midnight CET deadline on August 8, 2016.'As is standard procedure, the lists were automatically published on UEFA.com once they were approved and entered into the UEFA competition database.'
    UEFA had earlier commented on Stones' inclusion, confirming: 'He was in the squad list we received from Manchester City.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3730981/John-Stones-listed-Manchester-City-squad-Champions-League-qualifier.html

I wouldnt be surprised to see an announcement from either club in the coming hours on the back of this.

I cant imagine City threw him down on their squad list for their qualifying without the transfer being done or very close to it.

However, I'm not sure what happens if you announced a player in your squad that you dont own the registration o rights to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Another summer, another CB signed by City to replace the rarely available Kompany...

UEFA have confirmed it isn't an error, too.

Deal must have concluded before midnight last night to get him into the squad in time.

The clubs just haven't announced it - which, tbf, they are never actually under an obligation to do.

And otherwise we just back date the paperwork a bit. We are talking maffia UEFA after all.

Just read a transfer story involving Rulli, goal keeper at Sociedad the last 2 seasons.
    It is in Dutch unfortunately but it comes down that Sociedad couldnt buy him from the club they loaned him from the last 2 seasons (Maldonado in Uruguay) as they sold the rights to an investment company who sold them on to Man Ciry who now sold Rulli to Sociedad (contract till 2022) with a buy back clause.

I assume the deal was done yesterday, rumour now that bony & 30m going the other way so maybe it's down to bony medical/paperwork etc.

Either way it's unlikely city would have done it unless it's signed and sealed otherwise they should be hammered with a fine of giving augero instead of bony!!

• So Stones is valued at 50 million? Is he worth it? I assume this is what City have paid.
    Price to me doesn't matter but I just don't rate him. I don't get what the big deal is.
    He had a very poor season last year.
    I would partly blame Martinez because of the atrocious tactics but still he made so many individual errors.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I assume the deal was done yesterday, rumour now that bony & 30m going the other way so maybe it's down to bony medical/paperwork etc.

Either way it's unlikely city would have done it unless it's signed and sealed otherwise they should be hammered with a fine of giving augero instead of bony!!

I cannot think of the last swap deal (involving two cash players, as opposed to a loan) that actually worked out. They are usually just two separate trasfers.

But I am still hopeful we can swap Draxler for Markovic!

Journalists from the Daily Mail, the Express et al all reporting that Ashley Williams is expected to sign for Everton today after the Stones deal.

Dominic King, Paul Joyce and a few others tweeting it. I don't know how reliable anyone is when it comes to Everton, though.

Swansea are royally f*cked this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SSN reporting done deal for Stones announced. £47.5 million. Good business by Everton.

Journalists from the Daily Mail, the Express et al all reporting that Ashley Williams is expected to sign for Everton today after the Stones deal.

Dominic King, Paul Joyce and a few others tweeting it. I don't know how reliable anyone is when it comes to Everton, though.

Swansea are royally f*cked this season.

Dominic King is a good source for Everton news. Williams in and Kone (another f&cking kone) from Sunderland on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Amazing that City have spent more than United this summer

I think Stones will do well under Pep. 47 million will most likely turn out to be a very good investment

Gavlor wrote: »
    Dominic King is a good source for Everton news. Williams in and Kone (another f&cking kone) from Sunderland on the way

If Everton spend their £47.5m on Ashley Williams, Lamine Kone and Wilfried Bony, they've done VERY well for themselves I would say.

If Everton spend their £47.5m on Ashley Williams, Lamine Kone and Wilfried Bony, they've done VERY well for themselves I would say.

Still only half a team though, they have a LOT of gaps in the team. Two good FBs (although injury prone) and apart from that only Lukaku and Barkley stand out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Crazy money for such a young player. City are desperate to sign English players, I'm surprised Everton didn't hold out for even more.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Still only half a team though, they have a LOT of gaps in the team. Two good FBs (although injury prone) and apart from that only Lukaku and Barkley stand out...

If they started in September with...

Robles
    Coleman - Williams - Kone - Baines
    Gueye - McCarthy
    Deufuleu (sp?) - Barkley - Lennon/Mirallas
    Bony

Versatile enough group that it could work as a 3-5-2 too, with Coleman and Baines/Oviedo as wing-backs, and Williams, Kone, Jagielka, Galloway, Funes Mori and Pennington in the centre.

I think they're doing fine. They could sell Stones and Lukaku for a combined £100m and spend it on a new squad and there's no guarantee it would go well. Mass investment is tricky.

I presume that Koeman is hoping to get better performances out of players who underperformed under Martinez as well as adding new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Ridiculous fee for Stones, but this is the norm now. Premier league teams are richer now, but the quality of players will be the same, just cost a lot more. More money going to agents and players with the fans effectively paying more for season tickets and subscription services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The two most expensive defenders ever can't really defend very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd imagine Everton are slightly pissed off. The only reason I could think that they wouldn't have announced it is so they could get the Williams deal done first. Now that Stones is gone, Swansea could easily up the valuation by 5m.

• Advertisement

Deufuleu sounds funny in Dutch.

Ridiculous fee for Stones, but this is the norm now. Premier league teams are richer now, but the quality of players will be the same, just cost a lot more. More money going to agents and players with the fans effectively paying more for season tickets and subscription services.

Sponsorship, social media and globalisation of the premier league to.

Everything about Pogba announcement was done with marketing in mind, arriving in Chevrolet car, the video of him wearing adidas gear, the timing of the announcement to have maximum exposure in US and Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'd imagine Everton are slightly pissed off..

hardly , 50 million for a player who was at best average , but generally poor last year , couldn't even make it into a poor English team - Everton having a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The two most expensive defenders ever can't really defend very well.

But they step out of defense well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

100 million pounds on sterling and stones,beyond crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

100 million pounds on sterling and stones,beyond crazy

and Everton set to sign Ashley Williams a proven class defender for 12 million , great business for Everton - thats value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Impressive signing by City, I've commented before on how impressed I am by Stones and working under Guardiola should help to make him the best possible player that he can be. Also very interesting how City are signing such young and gifted players this Summer, really going out and getting the cream of the crop in regards young players and have been for a couple of seasons now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hypocrisy of highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Pep perseveres with the back 3 this season it could make for some hilarious viewing

Stones has heaps of potential but at this stage of his career he always has a mistake in him, added to the usual free for all nature of the back 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Deufuleu sounds funny in Dutch.
    Good to know.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement