Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Hypocrisy of highest order.

I can't believe what I just read after everything yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Gündogan won't be back to match fitness until October right? Not too worried about any of City's signings so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Impressive signing by City, I've commented before on how impressed I am by Stones and working under Guardiola should help to make him the best possible player that he can be. Also very interesting how City are signing such young and gifted players this Summer, really going out and getting the cream of the crop in regards young players and have been for a couple of seasons now.

You really don't do yourself any favours. I suspect that if United had signed Stones for 50m and Pogba had gone to Pep's City for 89m you'd have a different tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Stones fee is nearly numbed by the fact they spent around £70m on Otamendi & Mangala. Most the transfers this summer have been confusing whether it's prices or teams still not addressing clear problem areas. A lot a deadwood still at the top teams too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

50m is probably a fair fee for Stones. Correct if I'm wrong, but I think Ferdinand cost Utd 30m in 2002. That's not saying he'll have a career like Rio, but he has the potential

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    50m is probably a fair fee for Stones. Correct if I'm wrong, but I think Ferdinand cost Utd 30m in 2002. That's not saying he'll have a career like Rio, but he has the potential

The best thing that happened to Rio was getting Vidic beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

Rio was signed for big money alright but had played for Leeds (who were a good side then) in a champions league semi final. Leeds themselves had paid 19 million for him, so United were always gonna have to pay big.

In terms of Stones I think it's a huge fee for someone who has had some mediocre performances recently however it's a problem position for City and there is the "homegrown tax" to be added on to any fee. If he was Dutch or French he'd be half the price, but value is in the eye of the buyer and City need a CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

RasTa wrote: »
    Gündogan won't be back to match fitness until October right? Not too worried about any of City's signings so far.

September hes ment to be back at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The thing that amazes me about the Pogba transfer is paying €100m for a player who is not proven in either La Liga or the EPL. Lots of eyebrows were raised with the Gaeth Bale fee but at least Bale was Premier League proven which partly justified the cost. Pogba isnt and nor did he set the Euros alight, in fact he was often anonymous. Theres no doubting he is a good player but €100m is €40m or €50m too much imo.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The thing that amazes me about the Pogba transfer is paying €100m for a player who is not proven in either La Liga or the EPL. Lots of eyebrows were raised with the Gaeth Bale fee but at least Bale was Premier League proven which partly justified the cost. Pogba isnt and nor did he set the Euros alight, in fact he was often anonymous. Theres no doubting he is a good player but €100m is €40m or €50m too much imo.

Apart from Griezman I can't think of any player that really shone at the Euro's.

• Does everybody tooting that tune forget that Juventus won the double and got to the CL final in 2014-2015
    And again won the double in 2015-2016 season and who were knocked out in extra time by Munich in the CL last 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

City doing their bit for the Merseyside economy. Almost 100M spent on Sterling and Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Does everybody tooting that tune forget that Juventus won the double and got to the CL final in 2014-2015
    And again won the double in 2015-2016 season and who were knocked out in extra time by Munich in the CL last 16

But almost getting spurs to the CL is a better proven standard don't you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Does everybody tooting that tune forget that Juventus won the double and got to the CL final in 2014-2015

^^ Beat me to it.

The absolute f*cking nonsense that a player is unproven because they came from outside the PL or La Liga drives me spare. The PL has performed worse than Serie A and La Liga (and Bundesliga for that matter) in European competition in recent seasons so, if anything, non-PL players should come at a premium if that's your logic!!

• Advertisement

^^ Beat me to it.

The absolute f*cking nonsense that a player is unproven because they came from outside the PL or La Liga drives me spare. The PL has performed worse than Serie A and La Liga (and Bundesliga for that matter) in European competition in recent seasons so, if anything, non-PL players should come at a premium if that's your logic!!

PL performed better than Serie A last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

40 or 50m too much would be putting him at €50/60m. John Stones just went for the equivalent of around €58m. Your opinion of the transfer market is about 3 years out of date in a time before we got those ridiculous Adidas and Chevy deals and before the PL TV deal blew what was there before out of the water.

If you think that in any reality Pogba's market rate could be eight million Euro less than John fecking Stones then you're off your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Realistically no one had a great euros, the two stand out players were probably Griezmann and Ramsey.

When you consider the money being spent on Stones and Higuain, also the fact Watford shot down a 30 million bid for Deeney, you can kind of see where the transfer market is going. This time last year most of those fees would have been 15 million less and three years ago when Bale moved probably another 20 million less.

In fact Higuain moved for 40 million in the same year Bale left, its how the transfer market has gone, and three years ago Higuain was a better investment but his value has doubled despite this

Lads in another couple of years we'll be talking about the €200m transfer and reminiscing of more sensible times like the Pogba one.

T'was always such.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jayop wrote: »
    Lads in another couple of years we'll be talking about the €200m transfer and reminiscing of more sensible times like the Pogba one.

T'was always such.
    I still can't get over Arsenal forking out £220k for Alan Ball.....

:pac:

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    I still can't get over Arsenal forking out £220k for Alan Ball.....

:pac:

Absolute madness. No player is worth £220k./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Probably also forgetting that Pogba went into the Juve team that went the season before hand unbeaten, as a teenager and stayed in it for 4 years playing nearly every game the last 3 years and a good 75% of those in his first year.

Hes far from a blow in or flash in the pan. :pac:

Juve arent premiership proven mick, so not sure what ur point is :p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jayop wrote: »
    Absolute madness. No player is worth £220k./
    Alan Ball certainly isn't!

Beasty wrote: »
    Alan Ball certainly isn't!

Ah you're not taking into account the marketing potential. I mean his name is Ball. The hashtags would write themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Lets try get back to that discussion at hand, transfers.

Cards have been handed out and subsequent cards may follow pending a review of posts and if off topic chat continues.

Any chance of a reopening of the feedback thread so the obvious grievances that people have right now with the way things are being modded right now can be discussed in a proper venue rather than spiralling out of control in here and loads of people being carded every so often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

50m for Stones, 12m for Williams and 4 million for Klavan. Wonder which will offer the best value for money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

50m for Stones, 12m for Williams and 4 million for Klavan. Wonder which will offer the best value for money?

How do you measure value for money?

Everton win here. Sure Williams is older but he's a solid CB who will give that defense much needed leadership and won't make anything like the amount of errors that Stones would.
    glued wrote: »
    How do you measure value for money?

By guessing really as we can't see into the future.

For me Stones is a great potential talent but out of all the fee's paid this summer he's the biggest gamble given he's going into a side that have spent so much on CB's in recent years. If he establishes himself as a 1st choice and does well then the 50m will be worth it, but that's a big if with a club like City who if you're not performing will just go buy another CB in January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Probably Stones over time. The fact City can afford to pay that extra amount should be taken into consideration. At this stage with the manner in which all transfer fees have headed and will head for ever more and the extortionate money available for clubs like City, you can nearly put the cost aside somewhat when considering comparisons. The fact is City have just bought who most consider the best central defensive prospect in English football and he is merely 22, Everton have bought a very decent 31 year old central defender (as we all know) and Liverpool have bought a 30 year old relatively unheralded but nonetheless rated central defender.

You can only play 11 on the pitch, you have to reach a home grown quota and you have to look to the future. City could, barring selling him, realistically get 11 or 12 years out of an international standard Stones and he would still be in good fitness shape (on paper,) .

Stones has a lot to improve on but he has a hell of a lot going for him. If I had the money City have, Stones would seem the marginally best value, all things considered.

Bailly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bailly

"My centre half is better value for money than your centre half"

Jesus H Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Stones has the potential, but I still see a pretty brainless player there, so the fee is mad.

Williams will be a solid signing for Everton, a real proper leader.

Klavan has impressed in pre-season but so have many and went on to fail. Could be a real bit of astute business though he is highly rated in Germany and he is the Estonian captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

SSN yellow ticker says Everton have agreed a deal with Crystal Palace for Yannick Bolasie for fee that could rise to £30M.

TheTownie wrote: »
    SSN yellow ticker says Everton have agreed a deal with Crystal Palace for Yannick Bolasie for fee that could rise to £30M.

That must mean Benteke is going

Bailly

It's probably the two that will end up being compared the most.

Both 22 - Only a month between them.
    Pretty much the same height - only 1cm in it.
    Both full internationals already - Bailly 14 Ivory Coast Caps, Stones 10 england
    Both big money transfers to big clubs in need of an immediate improvement.
    Bailly €38m, Stones €56m
    Bailly 52 Valencia/United Apps, Stones 95 Everton Caps
    Neither have scored goals worth discussing.
    Both look superb athletes but prone to making rash decisions.

Basing the last line on Bailly on 1 game only so...ya know.

Williams for all his age is probably the best mix of ability and fee, Swansea selling him seems fairly crazy no matter how you slice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

TheTownie wrote: »

Virtually unplayable when he turns up, his pace coupled with power is ridiculous, needs to add consistency to his game though. Big fee but about right for a player of his circumstances.

• Advertisement

Clearly its moving week. Hopefully that's a ticket to ride for Benteke - net spend be damned let's have a net profit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

"My centre half is better value for money than your centre half"

Jesus H Christ

My da would take your da!
    But first Glik is much better & was better value than any of them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

rob316 wrote: »
    Virtually unplayable when he turns up, his pace coupled with power is ridiculous, needs to add consistency to his game though. Big fee but about right for a player of his circumstances.

it really isn't though!! It is a silly price for him. As I said before you can almost disregard the price of a player in the transfer somewhat for clubs like City but given how frugal Everton have been and their comparative bank balance, for them to suddenly launch a 30 million bid for Bolaisie is a tad mad, to say the least.

And this from someone who likes Bolaisie btw, when he turns up.

Wow, well done Everton. Seen them coming

If and it's a big if, Everton could keep hold of Lukaku they could be pure decent this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stones will improve, the mistakes can be coached out of his game. No better or worse than Mangala or Otamendi at the moment

Everton got good money but that sale should see lukaku wanting to be sold too. Williams is no spring chicken either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

John Stones is a good footballer, awful defender. Should suit Pep down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Lukker- wrote: »
    John Stones is a good footballer, awful defender. Should suit Pep down to the ground.

Pique, Puyol, Abidal, Alves, Mascherano, Boateng, Lahm, Alaba. Awful defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

it really isn't though!! It is a silly price for him. As I said before you can almost disregard the price of a player in the transfer somewhat for clubs like City but given how frugal Everton have been and their comparative bank balance, for them to suddenly launch a 30 million bid for Bolaisie is a tad mad, to say the least.

And this from someone who likes Bolaisie btw, when he turns up.

It's absolutely bananas.

We're like a heroin addict after winning the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bolasie to everton has the whiff of a panic buy to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ricero wrote: »
    Bolasie to everton has the whiff of a panic buy to me

How and why?

• Advertisement
Advertisement