Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Donald Love and McNair on the way to Sunderland per Sky. The season hasn't even started yet and I already can't wait for it to end. Utter rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's absolutely bananas.

We're like a heroin addict after winning the lotto.

You a Toffee fan? Is this general consensus? Must log on to the Everton fan forum this evening! I imagine its very lively after the supposed comings and the goings today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Given the effect the new TV deal has had on transfer fees, I'd have though the £40m Everton turned down last year was a better deal than the £47m they've accepted for Stones today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Given the effect the new TV deal has had on transfer fees, I'd have though the £40m Everton turned down last year was a better deal than the £47m they've accepted for Stones today.

At the end of the day 47 is better than 40.

well they got an extra year out of him and 7 million more!

ASOT wrote: »
    At the end of the day 47 is better than 40.
    well they got an extra year out of him and 7 million more!

£40m last year would have gone a lot further than that £47m today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So Stones is valued at 50 million? Is he worth it? I assume this is what City have paid.
    Price to me doesn't matter but I just don't rate him. I don't get what the big deal is.
    He had a very poor season last year.
    I would partly blame Martinez because of the atrocious tactics but still he made so many individual errors.

Yeah...I can't help but feel other people are seeing something that I'm just not. I mean, he's mobile and has decent feet on the ball, but as far as defending goes, his positional sense and decision making seem to be lacking from what i've seen of him. Those are the things i'd value most in a defender.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'd imagine Everton are slightly pissed off. The only reason I could think that they wouldn't have announced it is so they could get the Williams deal done first. Now that Stones is gone, Swansea could easily up the valuation by 5m.

We always say this stuff...but is there any truth to it? I mean, it's not like the clubs are operating in a media vacuum where they're not aware of whats oging on. If anything, they'll be much more informed than we are of other clubs deals.

Always seems like these things are thrown out there as a narrative tie in, rather than being the reality. I'd be confident Swansea would have already known Stones was going, and for roughly how much, regardless of official announcements.

As for the Bolasie deal...if Martinez was there, i'd already be counting it as a disaster waiting to happen, but I think Koeman could add a bit of intelligence into his game. He's a terrific physical specimen, but can be pretty headless, doesn't really do 'intelligent interplay' with teammates, and has a horrendous goalscoring record considering the positions he gets into.

ah, no I agree with you. But noone expected the inflation of prices to this level, I think it was closer to 37 million though if that helps ease any regrets for Everton somewhat!! It was a crazy price to reject at the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lukker- wrote: »
    John Stones is a good footballer, awful defender. Should suit Pep down to the ground.

Pretty ridiculous post tbh, Bayern conceded just 58 goals in the 102 Bundesliga games managed by Pep. Defending doesn't get much better than that, the myth that Guardiola teams don't defend well has been busted long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Yeah but it's Chelsea ;)

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Pretty ridiculous post tbh, Bayern conceded just 58 goals in the 102 Bundesliga games managed by Pep. Defending doesn't get much better than that, the myth that Guardiola teams don't defend well has been busted long ago.

It's only when they face sides with similar resources that they seem not to defend so well

He had a pretty bad season last year though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »
    Any chance of a reopening of the feedback thread so the obvious grievances that people have right now with the way things are being modded right now can be discussed in a proper venue rather than spiralling out of control in here and loads of people being carded every so often?

Can someone report this to make sure the mods actually see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

SantryRed wrote: »
    ricero wrote: »
    Bolasie to everton has the whiff of a panic buy to me

How and why?

Bolasie in 143 Crystal Palace appearances: 13 goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The timing of the £40m Chelsea bid was a big issue. It was very late in the window and left Everton with little time to react. I'm fairly sure if Chelsea had offered that a few weeks before hand, they'd have gotten him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Paully D wrote: »
    Donald Love and McNair on the way to Sunderland per Sky. The season hasn't even started yet and I already can't wait for it to end. Utter rubbish.

Who the hell is Donald Love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

A Man United youth product. I saw him play in the Europa League last season and he didn't look PL standard. Very surprising to see Sunderland going for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ricero wrote: »
    Bolasie in 143 Crystal Palace appearances: 13 goals

He's a winger. It's not his job to score a load of goals. They'll be buying him because Koeman will think that he can create a load of chances for their strikers.

?

What's up?

• Advertisement

21 year old United YTS player. Made a few apps last season and looked pretty much nowhere near the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Done with an explanation that it isn't an issue with your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

martyos121 wrote: »

It's not defending that his teams do it's retaining possession of the ball in the majority of games which means they don't have to do much proper defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's not defending that his teams do it's retaining possession of the ball in the majority of games which means they don't have to do much proper defending.

Which is why Stones suits them rather well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Blatter wrote: »
    A Man United youth product. I saw him play in the Europa League last season and he didn't look PL standard. Very surprising to see Sunderland going for him.

Not when moysie is the manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Blatter wrote: »

Don't know why you're surprised. Our academy has been chucking out lots of average PL talent for sometime now. Love looked ropey but he was thrown in and I would expect him to do much better at Sunderland especially as he'll be defending much deeper than at United. I actually think it's two fantastic signings for Sunderland for probably next to nothing. Both could be good PL players and you'd expect at least McNair to be able to make the step up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

AdamD wrote: »
    Which is why Stones suits them rather well.

Absolutely. He'll turn out to be a great signing I would think, just like Pique worked out well for Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Scattergun recruitment of wild amounts of money, a club with no clear direction, with players who have big names but who have not delivered on the pitch, that doesn't interest me.

Would have been just as valid if you posted this nonsense relating to Man City's recent activity. But you'll ignore that completely as it doesnt suit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Would have been just as valid if you posted this nonsense relating to Man City's recent activity. But you'll ignore that completely as it doesnt suit your agenda.

Before even being linked with City in this window I'd previously stated on this forum my admiration for Nolito, Stones and Gundogan. Sane speaks for himself really. If you want to delve a little deeper into it I think you will find their recruitment has been far from "scattergun." Rather its been excellently orchestrated and executed. However I wont discuss that any further on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Before even being linked with City in this window I'd previously stated on this forum my admiration for Nolito, Stones and Gundogan. Sane speaks for himself really. If you want to delve a little deeper into it I think you will find their recruitment has been far from "scattergun." Rather its been excellently orchestrated and executed. However I wont discuss that any further on this thread.

Look at the defence alone, close to 120 million spent on 3 CB's in 3 years. Would you consider that "excellently orchestrated and executed"? And speaking of Stones, you do realise Boards has a search function? These are the results I found when I searched posts by you containing "Stones": http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=517213&sort=oldest&date_to=&date_from=&query=stones

The first time you mentioned him here was a year ago when he was linked to your other club Chelsea. And to be honest thats nothing more than fanboy stuff when someone suddenly jumps on the bandwagon once a player is linked with a move to "their" club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Can you outline why exactly United's approach to signings this summer was "scattergun" and City's was "excellently orchestrated and executed"?

• Advertisement

Can you outline why exactly United's approach to signings this summer was "scattergun" and City's was "excellently orchestrated and executed"?

please......don't ask him to do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The millionaire from gta 3

latest?cb=20101006033047

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Because Pep is a mythical god and can't do no wrong. The same with an article I read today which was clearly someone who didn't like Jose and criticised him for being Jose and buying established players like Pogba but praised Pep for building for the future with players like Gundogan whose nearly four years older then Pogba and injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Stones will turn out to be a great buy for City. He's only 22 of course he going to make some mistakes but the potential is there. I can see why Pep has gone for him.

I also think Bolasie will do well at Everton. Mad transfer fee but that's the way it is these days.

United clearly had Pogba wrapped up 3 weeks ago in my opinion. A massive fee, the complicated contract, agent issues, the fact that he was away at The Euros and then on a different continent on holiday, the fact they wanted to create a huge month long media frenzy around the transfer and other factors meant the transfer confirmation was delayed, both intentionally and for obvious reasons. But rest assure, this was sorted by all sides weeks ago, bar the administrative work.

They had three big acquisitions sorted out with the manager just in the door and zero fuss and they all have numerous pre season games behind them and were settled into the squad weeks before the first game of the season!

They have had no issues with their top players hanging under speculation of wanting to leave or linked with clubs and have the exact squad their manafger has planned to have since he came in!!

If this is "scatter gun" , badly executed and badly orchestrated, I give up!!

United clearly had Pogba wrapped up 3 weeks ago in my opinion. A massive fee, the complicated contract, agent issues, the fact that he was away at The Euros and then on a different continent on holiday, the fact they wanted to create a huge month long media frenzy around the transfer and other factors meant the transfer confirmation was delayed, both intentionally and for obvious reasons. But rest assure, this was sorted by all sides weeks ago, bar the administrative work.

They had three big acquisitions (Zlatan, Bailly and Mkhitaryan) sorted out with the manager just in the door and zero fuss or barely any negotiation issues and they all have numerous pre season games behind them and were settled into the squad weeks before the first game of the season!

They have had no issues with their top players hanging under speculation of wanting to leave or linked with clubs and have the exact squad their manafger has planned to have since he came in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jayop wrote: »
    He's a winger. It's not his job to score a load of goals. They'll be buying him because Koeman will think that he can create a load of chances for their strikers.

Jeysus I hope they're not relying on that being the case! His strength really is not in working with other players, he's about as "head down, run towards goal" a player as there is. I'd be more confident of him changing his game if he was a younger, but he's already 27. 3 assists last year. He did play as a striker a lot over the past 2 years, but I agree with you, that definitely isn't his position. Far too wasteful in front of goal.

I have a lot of time for Koeman alright, so maybe he can make it work. But Bolasie seems exactly the sort of player that shines at a lesser club where they can just give him the ball, and then fail at a bigger club where he's expected to take part in interplay. It's just never been his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Because Pep is a mythical god and can't do no wrong. The same with an article I read today which was clearly someone who didn't like Jose and criticised him for being Jose and buying established players like Pogba but praised Pep for building for the future with players like Gundogan whose nearly four years older then Pogba and injury prone.

I don't think United have had a scattergun approach; their approach is clearly buying big names above all else for commercial/marketing reasons.

Compare the signing of Stones to Pogba. Pogba turns up with an entourage in his red Chevrolet, the deal is clearly done but is not announced until peak time in the US. Instead of posting a pic of the guy holding the jersey he is in a hollywoodesque music video with some UK rapper and has a body double. In contrast, Stones' transfer is leaked out due to their CL squad and he's shown in City gear the next day.

I know the fans don't care about the price that is being paid but at the end of the day the fans pay for all this nonsense, whether it's purchasing the merchandise, expensive match tickets or just paying big money for subscriptions.

Stormzy didn't get involved in some mini rap video because he loves United. Pogba isn't home, he's back to rake in far more than any other club would be willing to pay him and ultimately the fans pay for that whether they like it or not. Jose was branded as not being suitable for United but again that does not matter because whether he succeeds or fails he is a big name and will make big headlines regardless. Ibrahimovic, again a massive name, is definitely way beyond his prime but that does not matter because he's one of the most famous footballers in the world.

United have transcended being a football club, this probably happened long ago but it is more clear now in the last few months than ever. Football is secondary, being a massive commercial entity is the primary goal here.

United fans, and football fans in general, are delusional if they think they are not paying these mental wages and transfer fees.

They had three big acquisitions (Zlatan, Bailly and Mkhitaryan) sorted out with the manager just in the door and zero fuss or barely any negotiation issues and they all have numerous pre season games behind them and were settled into the squad weeks before the first game of the season!

My thoughts exactly. United addressed key areas of their squad and management before the window even opened. They've strengthened the spine of their team and added an excellent winger from a Dortmund side that make a certain poster here a bit moist. They held on to all their best players including de Gea and have quite a big, strong, happy and hungry squad. There's still about 3 weeks for Jose to move someone on or bring in another signing at his leisure. If anyone had an excellently orchestrated and executed transfer window, I would say it's United.

Adding to that though, City do seem to have a good transfer strategy, albeit in their case the phrase "money talks" can be attributable to most of their transfers. But this Summer, Uniteds transfer strategy has been excellent, best I have seen from them in almost a decade it could be argued, all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Any chance of a reopening of the feedback thread so the obvious grievances that people have right now with the way things are being modded right now can be discussed in a proper venue rather than spiralling out of control in here and loads of people being carded every so often?

I'm only replying here so everyone can see it but any further questions PM a mod or mods if you want to discuss it.

Lastly, the feedback thread wont be re-opened, it has a finite lifespan and will be updated when we've discussed the major talking points of it among ourselves, Sports CMods and Admins if necessary.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeysus I hope they're not relying on that being the case! His strength really is not in working with other players, he's about as "head down, run towards goal" a player as there is. I'd be more confident of him changing his game if he was a younger, but he's already 27. 3 assists last year. He did play as a striker a lot over the past 2 years, but I agree with you, that definitely isn't his position. Far too wasteful in front of goal.

I have a lot of time for Koeman alright, so maybe he can make it work. But Bolasie seems exactly the sort of player that shines at a lesser club where they can just give him the ball, and then fail at a bigger club where he's expected to take part in interplay. It's just never been his game.

He's not going to a big club though, he's going to Everton. They only finished 4 places and 5 points above Palace last year.

Koeman is a shrewd manager and I think what he sees in Bolasie is someone who as the pace to break the line, get to the by-line and pull the ball back into the oncoming attack. Easy goals doing that, it won United most of our PL titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

My thoughts exactly. United addressed key areas of their squad and management before the window even opened. They've strengthened the spine of their team and added an excellent winger from a Dortmund side that make a certain poster here a bit moist. They held on to all their best players including de Gea and have quite a big, strong, happy and hungry squad. There's still about 3 weeks for Jose to move someone on or bring in another signing at his leisure. If anyone had an excellently orchestrated and executed transfer window, I would say it's United.

Haven't seen him linked with anyone but Mata is definitely a goner I am guessing. Be interesting to see where he goes if he stays in England. Hope he goes to Leicester or somewhere he'll be a top dog

jive wrote: »
    I don't think United have had a scattergun approach; their approach is clearly buying big names above all else for commercial/marketing reasons.

Compare the signing of Stones to Pogba. Pogba turns up with an entourage in his red Chevrolet, the deal is clearly done but is not announced until peak time in the US. Instead of posting a pic of the guy holding the jersey he is in a hollywoodesque music video with some UK rapper and has a body double. In contrast, Stones' transfer is leaked out due to their CL squad and he's shown in City gear the next day.

I know the fans don't care about the price that is being paid but at the end of the day the fans pay for all this nonsense, whether it's purchasing the merchandise, expensive match tickets or just paying big money for subscriptions.

Stormzy didn't get involved in some mini rap video because he loves United. Pogba isn't home, he's back to rake in far more than any other club would be willing to pay him and ultimately the fans pay for that whether they like it or not. Jose was branded as not being suitable for United but again that does not matter because whether he succeeds or fails he is a big name and will make big headlines regardless. Ibrahimovic, again a massive name, is definitely way beyond his prime but that does not matter because he's one of the most famous footballers in the world.

United have transcended being a football club, this probably happened long ago but it is more clear now in the last few months than ever. Football is secondary, being a massive commercial entity is the primary goal here.

United fans, and football fans in general, are delusional if they think they are not paying these mental wages and transfer fees.

What an absolute load of nonsense tbf. We bought four players this summer and only two of them fall into the big name category. OK Mkhitaryan is technically a name with lots of letters in it but you know what I mean.

Instead of comparing the signing of Pogba who's already a global name so naturally going to be a big deal, with Stones, compare the signing of Eric Bailly to Stones who's clearly the most equatable signing we've made. Both were no nonsense transfers.

FFS, look at the song and dance City made when Pep signed with them. Noel Gallagher interviewing him ffs. The reason City haven't had a big reveal or marketing campaign this summer is because they've bought no-one who it would work with. The last time they had a big transfer coup they had Welcome to Manchester Posters up and ran the whole twitter crap.

Haven't seen him linked with anyone but Mata is definitely a goner I am guessing. Be interesting to see where he goes if he stays in England. Hope he goes to Leicester or somewhere he'll be a top dog

Mata stays. I'd put my own money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

~Rebel~ wrote: »

100% agree with you. He looks the part at times as he has some great attributes but his end product throughout his career has been poor. I would class 30 million for bolasie as one of the craziest transfer fees of the summer and there has been a lot.

100% agree with you. He looks the part at times as he has some great attributes but his end product throughout his career has been poor. I would class 30 million for bolasie as one of the craziest transfer fees of the summer and there has been a lot.

30m is what 10m was 3 years ago. That's the reality now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Jayop wrote: »
    30m is what 10m was 3 years ago. That's the reality now.

I know that I still think its a crazy fee for what bolasie has done in his career he isn't a young player. The only one that I'd class as worse is what juve paid for higuan due to his age.

I know that I still think its a crazy fee for what bolasie has done in his career he isn't a young player. The only one that I'd class as worse is what juve paid for higuan due to his age.

Ya, I get what you're saying man.

The Higuian transfer is all kinds of madness though isn't it. They bought him for more than what they got for Pogba and then he turns up to training looking like a Jr B Hurling goalkeeper from the north. Fat as Christmas.

• Advertisement

It was a world record transfer for a former United player, they will obviously make a bigger deal out of it than City will for Stones, especially when it seems that City were rushed into announcing Stones after the UEFA list went online.

I'm pretty sure Adidas and Chevrolet had most of it covered.

I would imagine Stormzy probably would have paid United to be part of the announcement as opposed to the other way around. United don't need more exposure, certainly not through Stormzy. He would have gotten a lot more exposure for being part of the announcement. You don't know anymore than the rest of us what money Pogba may have been offered elsewhere. He spoke quite fondly of United even when he was still at Juventus.

Who was branding Jose unsuitable for United? Plenty were saying he was perfect for United, many predicting him as a future United manager before Fergie left. You can try and accuse of United of chasing the big name manager all you want but it holds little water. No other club of United's stature would have appointed Moyes as manager, no other club would have kept van Gaal as long as United did. They got Mourinho because he's a proven winner. He delivers titles wherever he goes. To say that it doesn't matter if succeeds or fails is laughable. City, Chelsea and Bayern appointed big name managers too this summer.

Ibrahimovich is a massive name, just as he was when Barca paid 30m plus Eto'o plus Hleb to sign him a few years ago. Bailly isn't a very big name though is he? Either is Lingard, Rashford, Blind, Valencia, Smalling, Herrera, Carrick - all first team players at United. Neymar wasn't exactly unheard of when he made his shady move to Barca, same with Suarez. City, PSG and Real Madrid aren't strangers to buying the big names either but don't let that stop you having a dig at United.

Were you saying this 7 years ago when Real Madrid broke their own world transfer record twice in the same summer to sign Kaka and Ronaldo? Or maybe in 2010 when they brought in Mourinho, presumably less to do with the fact that he had just delivered a treble at Inter and more to do with him being a big name? United operate no different to any other club, they've just gotten quite good at maximising their revenue and global exposure. Funny how when United were linked with and missing out on the likes of Neymar, Lucas Moura, Hazard and Bale it was a sign of their decline and their inability to match Europe's elite clubs. Now they sign Pogba for not much more than what Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Suarez, and Higuain were signed for and it's a sign of their decline as a football club into simply a commercial entity. It's a lose lose for United by ABU logic.

Advertisement