Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Victor Valdes was a bit different. He was leaving Barcelona but suffered a serious injury which put paid to any chance of moving somewhere else as a starter. He hasn't been the same player since the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Of course it is different, only brought him into as an example of not taking the safe option.
    Injury would probably still have happend but better have it wit ha 4 year contract just signed than with a contract you let run out.

(it all makes sense in my head.. i promise :D ...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Mr_Bundesliga/status/737246666584166406

Kicker: Ricardo Rodriguez wants to join Arsenal, who will activate his €25m release clause. Quality player for AFC as Wolfsburg disintigrate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

A little bit Harsh on Monreal but (from reputation mostly if im honest) Ricardo Rodriguez is supposed to be one of the better full backs in world football and is several years younger than him. The type of talent you don't pass up buying if you have the opportunity and considering the fees teams are paying these days 19m pounds is probably as good value as you will get for a player with his profile. It's a CF Arsenal want but you can't be too disappointing as an Arsenal fan (if this is true) with them signing up the type of quality of Xhaka & Rodriquez.

oh and yes at certain points I am sure to reference the former WWE ring announcer / wrestler of the same name if he does sign for Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

A little bit Harsh on Monreal but (from reputation mostly if im honest) Ricardo Rodriguez is supposed to be one of the better full backs in world football and is several years younger than him. The type of talent you don't pass up buying if you have the opportunity and considering the fees teams are paying these days 19m pounds is probably as good value as you will get for a player with his profile. It's a CF Arsenal want but you can't be too disappointing as an Arsenal fan (if this is true) with them signing up the type of quality of Xhaka & Rodriquez.

oh and yes at certain points I am sure to reference the former WWE ring announcer / wrestler of the same name if he does sign for Arsenal.

I imagine his first presser to go something like this. "Im deligted to play for a manager like Arseeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnne Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnger :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Monreal is 30 now and there's rumours Gibbs wants out so I'd have no problem with this signing. One for the future id say knowing Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Monreal is 30 now and there's rumours Gibbs wants out so I'd have no problem with this signing. One for the future id say knowing Wenger.

I can't imagine he'd be joining to be anything other than a starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Bit of a joke arsenal splashing the cash this summer when if they had done it last year they'd probably have won the league.

The horse has already bolted I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Bit of a joke arsenal splashing the cash this summer when if they had done it last year they'd probably have won the league.

They should have probably splashed cash on a new manager then too....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Don't think Wenger has had an issue with splashing the cash the past few years but he is always looking for good value for that cash and tbh although they are big fees the prices quoted for Xhaka and Rodriguez seem like pretty good value for such highly touted players with big potential.

The big If for Arsenal for the past few years has always been getting a top CF though and Value for money in that market is far harder to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That 40m plus £1 sumed up wenger. He have had made a proper bid of £50m he would have signed one of the best strikers the league has ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People realise Wenger doesn't personally negotiate transfer deals right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

rob316 wrote: »
    That 40m plus £1 sumed up wenger. He have had made a proper bid of £50m he would have signed one of the best strikers the league has ever seen.

Liverpool would not have sold Suarez to another English team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Don't think Wenger has had an issue with splashing the cash the past few years but he is always looking for good value for that cash and tbh although they are big fees the prices quoted for Xhaka and Rodriguez seem like pretty good value for such highly touted players with big potential.

The big If for Arsenal for the past few years has always been getting a top CF though and Value for money in that market is far harder to achieve.
    They are cracking signings for Arsenal, tbf.

A good forward signed will make them very strong contenders next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emmetkenny wrote: »
    +£1

:pac:

• Advertisement

+£1

:pac:

He also stated he wanted to leave to win trophies.

No point going to Arsenal in that case, although if he had signed he would have pushed them closer than they have been in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

emmetkenny wrote: »

Yes they certainly would have if Arsenal hadn't taken the píss with that opening offer

40+1 was an insult and an attempt to belittle Pool, 50-60 million would have gotten him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Still think Arsenal need a centre back who isnt (a) a truck or (b) a vagina

There are genuine newspapers linking Simeone to Everton. Clearly that spell between the Champions League final and the Euros is proving difficult to fill column inches.

CSF wrote: »
    There are genuine newspapers linking Simeone to Everton. Clearly that spell between the Champions League final and the Euros is proving difficult to fill column inches.

Seems the media is going "managers Everton will not sign this summer" approach to fill the papers.
    So far i have seen Frank de Boer, Ronald Koeman and now Simeone.
    Also saw Pellegrini mentioned on a Dutch site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

50 mil bid for alaba rejected by bayern,from real madrid

Double post from mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mourinho allowing sales of Mata and Blind. West Ham apparently bid €15m for Bacca, low balling if ive ever seen it.

Mourinho allowing sales of Mata and Blind. West Ham apparently bid €15m for Bacca, low balling if ive ever seen it.

Probably a bit of Sky sensationalism but its hardly a surprise if true, he was Chelsea's player of the year 2 years in a row and Mourinho got rid of Mata, don't see why he would have changed his mind on that.
    Blind is an average defender and even more average midfielder, if they have serious notions of winning the league he isn't good enough.

£15m for Bacca would be some bargain, he cost Milan £20 only last year, don't know why they are open to selling he scored almost 20 goals.

Pinch of salt and all that. It's generally not good business to leak you want rid of players if you want to not get rode on the price for them. If I was a lazy journalist and wanted to pick 2 first team starters that Mourinho mightn't want, so that I could run a story, I would probably go for those 2 too.

doubt he cares too much and just wants rid of them so will take a low offer (jose) rather than have them there not wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gundogan to City confirmed.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36430721

• GavRedKing wrote: »

Sicken-er :mad:

Highly rated IMO

20 million isn't all that much either bar the fact he's currently injured

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sicken-er :mad:

Highly rated IMO

20 million isn't all that much either bar the fact he's currently injured

Ya, if he can avoid being injured theyve got a bargain and are a real threat but then you could say that about Kompany and Aguero.

If any of them are out for any sustained period and they usually are, City can fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why was no one else after him? Why is he so cheap? Presumably City are taking a bit of a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Why was no one else after him? Why is he so cheap? Presumably City are taking a bit of a chance.

He's injured until January isn't he? Great player when fit, but a massive gamble. He's never played more than 30 games in a league season, for e.g.

Plus, half of Europe might have been in for him, how do we know? When Guardiola and City come along, a lot of players won't think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He's injured until January isn't he? Great player when fit, but a massive gamble. He's never played more than 30 games in a league season, for e.g.

Plus, half of Europe might have been in for him, how do we know? When Guardiola and City come along, a lot of players won't think twice.

Not a massive gamble at all, €20m is pretty cheap and he is only 25. Dortmund made a tidy profit off him and last summer signed Julian Weigl who looks like a very good replacement. Good business by Dortmund again.

Injuries and the potential for injuries I'd imagine.

Teams would be interested, no doubt but theyre proabbly weighing up the pros and cons of the deal, all the while City were meant to be in for him for sometime and the allure of serious cash, working with Pep and the chance to win titles is something not many would turn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was of course being rhetorical :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Gary Monk to Leeds

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, if he can avoid being injured theyve got a bargain and are a real threat but then you could say that about Kompany and Aguero.

If any of them are out for any sustained period and they usually are, City can fall apart.

His injury list is extensive though

You couldn't be depending on building a team around him, will only be able to play sparingly if Pep uses him correctly.

See the list from twitter

https://twitter.com/IconicNo7/status/738309620251414528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Last year of his contract as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Gary Monk to Leeds

I give it until October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Pep seems to have a knack of fixing injury prone players though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

SantryRed wrote: »
    Pep seems to have a knack of fixing injury prone players though....
    ? Like who?

I think pep has a knack of turning players into injury prone ones....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MrMac84 wrote: »
    ? Like who?

Xavi Hernandez

wrong thread

inforfun wrote: »
    I think pep has a knack of turning players into injury prone ones....

like who?

Xavi Hernandez

That's one player. It's hardly proof though.

• Advertisement

Did you just recently start to follow football?
    Every season at Barca and Bayern he had players out for months.
    And those were not "impact" injuries because, those can happen.
    Knees, muscles, hamstrings.
    The list of injuries of his players are at least as long as the list of trophies they win.

And no, i do not count Robben.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Didn't he have a hissy fit & get the Bayern medic sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lazio want RVP,€10 million fee.Fenerbache will make a profit on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Xavi Hernandez

Xavi played 50 games or more in numerous season before Pep was appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

He's not out till Jan is he? Thought I heard till September or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement