Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Patww79 wrote: »
    32 year old Ashley Williams cost Everton £12 million so I'd disagree with your valuation. I think £18 million would be a fair price in the current inflated market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Clubs, especially premier league clubs don't need the money. So I wouldn't blame West Brom for wanting £25m for one of their starting defenders.
    I wouldn't pay that much for him though and Arsenal should be looking for a lot better than Jonny Evans!

Exactly, its a sellers market, particularly PL to PL transfers.

When a "small" team like Watford can turn down £30m for an average striker then you know that no club has to sell unless the player pushes for a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Jonny Evans?

£2.5m?

Every time I think I'm used to the new inflated market, I get shocked by some outrageous fee.

Fixed that for you

Patww79 wrote: »
    32 year old Ashley Williams can defend though.

In fairness to Evans, he is a solid enough player.

Certainly not good enough for a team with title ambitions but it's Arsenal so that doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eagle eye wrote: »
    32 year old Ashley Williams cost Everton £12 million so I'd disagree with your valuation. I think £18 million would be a fair price in the current inflated market.

so you think Evans is a better defender than Williams ? ya having a laugh

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Certainly not good enough for a team with title ambitions but it's Arsenal so that doesn't matter.

Evans is a crock as well, so will fit in well at Arsenal

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

as an Arsenal fan said to me, the biggest transfer Arsenal missed was Pep G - he would have made Arsenal challenge again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

+£1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

thebaz wrote: »

Saying Evans should cost more than Williams doesn't mean OP was saying Evans was better defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

£25 million for Evans..... sigh.

I bet you could get the best defender of wc2014 (by stats, not by that crooked jury decision) from Lazio who is only 24 and will be able to pass the ball around the Arsenal way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Gooners seem to be desperate now and clubs know that. So any club they put a bid into will just give a PFO (Please fcuk of) fee and if they match it.... well your laughing!

Market price is not surprising but the way people react every single time is surprising. It's known thing that it costs a lot to buy from PL clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Williams might be the better defender but Evans is four years younger and only moved to West Brom last year. I imagine he has a lot longer left on his contract than Williams had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Evans isn't good enough for a title winning side?

He played 23 times in the league for a united side that won the league.

He earlier played 13 times in the league for a utd side that won the league.

Personally I don't think he's very good. But to say hes not good enough for a league winning side is so clearly wrong. I actually think he's better now than he was then too.

No, I think they are pretty much the same level. Evans is a lot younger so is worth more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Evans isn't good enough for a title winning side?

He played 23 times in the league for a united side that won the league.

He earlier played 13 times in the league for a utd side that won the league.

Personally I don't think he's very good. But to say hes not good enough for a league winning side is so clearly wrong. I actually think he's better now than he was then too.
    That's not exactly saying a whole lot.

That's not exactly saying a whole lot.

He was very good CB for ManUtd. Not good enough to organize and lead the defense but good enough to play in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Evans is decent, an above average centre back. £25m is ridiculous though even in today's market. I would have thought 15m would be more than fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Johner wrote: »
    Evans is decent, an above average centre back. £25m is ridiculous though even in today's market. I would have thought 15m would be more than fair.

Sellers market and they don't need to sell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jayop wrote: »
    Sellers market and they don't need to sell.

Yeap. Coupled with the fact there's only a week left in the window, Arsenal are very obviously desperate and Evans only just signed so is on a big contract. Plus homegrown (afaik) and was the Fans POTY for the team last year.

As a United fan, we know that waiting till this close to the end of the window to try and strengthen a weak area is a bad move. You will end up paying over the odds. If you want to avoid that, then a month ago was the time to make the moves...

No, I think they are pretty much the same level. Evans is a lot younger so is worth more.

Williams is a proven top quality defender - Evans is at best average - I know who I would pick and prefer in my team every time.

Williams is a proven top quality defender - Evans is at best average - I know who I would pick and prefer in my team every time.

Rubbish, it's the other way around if anything. Evans was a regular starter on a Premier league winning team and was a regular starter for United right up until Louis Van Gaal decided he didn't like him. He went to West Brom and has been said above was the fans player of the season.

Williams has consistently looked good at Swansea but he has only ever played for an average Premier league side. Evans has played at the highest level before and he is a lot younger too.

This is a major shock.

Brendan Galloway gone on loan to West Brom for the season.

Just to clarify. Tony Pulis has signed a full back!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This is a major shock.

If he doesn't come back to Everton as a left winger I'll be shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This is a major shock.

Relax, I'm sure he's gonna play him on the wing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Blatter wrote: »
    Relax, I'm sure he's gonna play him on the wing!

Don't be silly, he plays central midfielders on his wings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Galloway is actually a centre half, filled in capably at left back last season for Baines right enough.

Rubbish, it's the other way around if anything. Evans was a regular starter on a Premier league winning team and was a regular starter for United right up until Louis Van Gaal decided he didn't like him. He went to West Brom and has been said above was the fans player of the season.

Williams has consistently looked good at Swansea but he has only ever played for an average Premier league side. Evans has played at the highest level before and he is a lot younger too.

Rubbish - Evans is not a better defender than Williams - end of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Alright, well that ends that. Great talk fellas, some good points made on both sides, but I feel this rebutle is just too much of a blow to come back from.

I think it's time we closed up the thread and just went about our separate ways.

There isn't that big a gulf between them tbh.

There is reason Williams never played for a top 4 contender.

Plus Evans is 4 years younger than him, Williams has zero resale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Evans has a championship.

3 premier league titles

4 charity Shields.

3 league cups.

1 club world cup.

He played major roles in many of these triumphs too.

Williams has been solid for Swansea. Good for Wales too.

Pretty evident who's more of a top 4 defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

3 premier league titles

4 charity Shields.

3 league cups.

1 club world cup.

Moreno?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Alright, well that ends that. Great talk fellas, some good points made on both sides, but I feel this rebutle is just too much of a blow to come back from.

I think it's time we closed up the thread and just went about our separate ways.

Nah, you're alright the transfer window has another week to go ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I seem to remember United breaking a record for not conceding a goal for a certain amount of time. I reckon everyone playing regularly in such a run would have to be pretty good. I wonder what the keeper at the time thought?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jan/28/daniel-taylor-on-edwin-van-der-sar-premier-league-clean-sheet-record

I've always believed Evans was a very good CB. Capable with the ball at his feet and great at tackling on the ground. While not being elite in the air, he could put in some dominating displays. His worst period was beside a declining Evra in Evra's later years at the club meaning he was dragged out left to cover a lot where players could beat him for pace or force him into a corner. He should have been kept around imo as the likes of Blackett and McNair weren't fit to lace his boots.

3 premier league titles

4 charity Shields.

3 league cups.

1 club world cup.

hardly a key player in any of those achievements ( 4 Charity shields) - Williams was a cornerstone to Wales and Swansea success - as I said, I know who I would want in my team -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is a major shock.

Always thought he was a CB just in the team at LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

hardly a key player in any of those achievements ( 4 Charity shields) - Williams was a cornerstone to Wales and Swansea success - as I said, I know who I would want in my team -

What Swansea success is this?

Also i highly doubt NI would have made many major tournaments without Evans back there.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    What Swansea success is this?

the past few years have been the most successful in Swansea's history, been/survival in the Premiership is success for Swansea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Guardian has transfer windows for the last three summers, http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2016/aug/23/premier-league-transfer-window-summer-2016-interactive

Liverpool sales have covered a lot of activity Total 2014–2016: players in £258.35m, players out £199.65m

Man Utd's spending is astronomical! Total 2014–2016: players in £405.8m, players out £102.74m

Southamptons' books are not quite as bathed in black ink as you'd imagine
    Total 2014–2016: players in £120.85m, players out £169.5m 50m profit is good but somehow it feels like it should be much more! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The power of Fergie, United went from spending 40 million on average per season between 07-13 winning 4 league titles, 2 league cups and a champions league to average 120 million a season between 13 and now just winning an FA cup in the process.

Liverpool outspent United between 07-13, 330 million to 260 million.

The man is unparalleled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The power of Fergie, United went from spending 40 million on average per season between 07-13 winning 4 league titles, 2 league cups and a champions league to average 120 million a season between 13 and now just winning an FA cup in the process.

The man is unparalleled.

Fergie didnt have to do a massive rebuild then lets be honest, 3 bad years and a massive rebuild was needed and is thankfully underway

Guardian has transfer windows for the last three summers, http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2016/aug/23/premier-league-transfer-window-summer-2016-interactive

Liverpool sales have covered a lot of activity Total 2014–2016: players in £258.35m, players out £199.65m

Man Utd's spending is astronomical! Total 2014–2016: players in £405.8m, players out £102.74m

Total 2014–2016: players in £120.85m, players out £169.5m 50m profit is good but somehow it feels like it should be much more! :p

Not surprising that ManUtd didn't recoup lot of money, players usually stay for years and are sold only when they are deemed not good enough (bar few exceptions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal investing slightly more in net terms than Chelsea over the last few years. Posted that the other day in Arsenal thread. Not too surprising given how poor the squad was in terms of value after RVP left.

Roman has surprised me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The man is unparalleled.

In fairness, Ferguson left United with their worst squad in many a year when he retired. There was a lot of positions that we should have invested in a year or so beforehand.
    When Moyes took over the squad needed rebuilding and unffortunately
    Ageing and retiring players
    Ferdinand, Giggs, Evra, Vidic, Scholes, Hernandez, Nani, Welbeck,Andersen, Berbatov, Fletcher and a few more all left just before or a season after Fergie left left in 2013.,That is one huge core of important players. We were left with a relatively average squad compared to yester years.

Fergie has to take some blame for not investing in the future a season or two before departing. It resulted in panic purchases and huge asking prices where selling clubs seized on our desperation to buy established and experienced players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

gosplan wrote: »
    Arsenal investing slightly more in net terms than Chelsea over the last few years. Posted that the other day in Arsenal thread. Not too surprising given how poor the squad was in terms of value after RVP left.

Roman has surprised me though.

That's what happens when clubs like PSG want David Luiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Of the £169.5 taken in by Southampton around £100m came from Liverpool!

In fairness United spent that on Pogba alone but Liverpool have spent a lot of time in the Southampton shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

lassykk wrote: »

Clyne,lovern, lallana and mane are all first team starters though, good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

sword1 wrote: »
    Clyne,lovern, lallana and mane are all first team starters though, good value

Wasn't a pop. Just an observation.

In today's market they would definitely be good value. Only one that didn't work out was lambert and he was the cheapest of the lot

• Advertisement
Advertisement