Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Jayop wrote: »
    Moreno?
    I will see you Moreno and raise you Djimi Traoré who has a Cl winners medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland agree fee of £7m for Sevilla midfielder Vicente Iborra apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

In fairness, Ferguson left United with their worst squad in many a year when he retired. There was a lot of positions that we should have invested in a year or so beforehand.
    When Moyes took over the squad needed rebuilding and unffortunately
    Ageing and retiring players
    Ferdinand, Giggs, Evra, Vidic, Scholes, Hernandez, Nani, Welbeck,Andersen, Berbatov, Fletcher and a few more all left just before or a season after Fergie left left in 2013.,That is one huge core of important players. We were left with a relatively average squad compared to yester years.

Fergie has to take some blame for not investing in the future a season or two before departing. It resulted in panic purchases and huge asking prices where selling clubs seized on our desperation to buy established and experienced players
    Fergie didnt have to do a massive rebuild then lets be honest, 3 bad years and a massive rebuild was needed and is thankfully underway

People were saying that about United for years before Fergie's retirement though. The team were in decline etc. etc. Dunphy said it literally every other week on RTE, a sinking ship and all that jazz.

Even when Fergie had what looked like a bang average team on paper he just kept on winning. Euro success was a bridge too far in the latter years but he still did really well in Europe and exceeded what you would imagine that the squad was capable of domestically.

People appreciated him while he was there but his impact wasn't truly felt until he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

jive wrote: »
    People were saying that about United for years before Fergie's retirement though. The team were in decline etc. etc. Dunphy said it literally every other week on RTE, a sinking ship and all that jazz.

Even when Fergie had what looked like a bang average team on paper he just kept on winning. Euro success was a bridge too far in the latter years but he still did really well in Europe and exceeded what you would imagine that the squad was capable of domestically.

People appreciated him while he was there but his impact wasn't truly felt until he left.

There is little doubt Ferguson was extremely appreciated, naturally, but like all managers not untouchable and Dunphy just uses any excuse to get a "controversial" snide remark in. But he wasn't far off, although unintentionally so in

In this regard, I feel he took his eye off the ball, not taking account of the squad his predecessor - who was under enough pressure as it was - would inherit. The level of decline with Moyes would not have happened with Ferguson still at the helm but he would still have been limited compared to previous seasons with the 2013/2014 squad.

look at Ferguson's squad in the 2009/10, 2010/11, 11/12 and 12/13 and compare it to the squad Moyes inherited (taking into account ageing players, and retirements,players moving on, not to mention Wayne Rooney at his peak). Not to mention the depth of the squad. Fergie had so many top experienced players sitting on the bench at times. Moyes had limited depth

Clearly a big difference in quality. Almost every position, you could argue was inferior. You know the exception! an exception Ferguson deserves massive plaudits for bringing in......De Gea of course.

As we saw with Chelsea last season, Leicester and Spurs and West Ham, season its possible for a huge change of fortune and quality to occur from one season to the next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I wouldn't put it down to the squad though I'd put it down to getting the players to perform. We'll see it with Chelsea this year, last year Jose lost the players and they languished in mid table; this year they'll likely challenge for the title with 1 addition to their first 11 (Kante).

Like there wasn't a mass exodus after Ferguson left and by all accounts there was still money to spend to strengthen the team; hard to believe that the marquee signing in Fellaini didn't propel them to the title! Rooney is only 30 so when Ferguson left he was still in his prime (well obviously it didn't turn out that way but who was to know Rooney would go the way he did).

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think the blame is misplaced if Uniteds decline is in any way Fergies fault....can't believe I'm defending Fergie! He left them as a title winning side with 11 points to burn,can't really argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

jive wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it down to the squad though I'd put it down to getting the players to perform. We'll see it with Chelsea this year, last year Jose lost the players and they languished in mid table; this year they'll likely challenge for the title with 1 addition to their first 11 (Kante).

Like there wasn't a mass exodus after Ferguson left and by all accounts there was still money to spend to strengthen the team; hard to believe that the marquee signing in Fellaini didn't propel them to the title! Rooney is only 30 so when Ferguson left he was still in his prime (well obviously it didn't turn out that way but who was to know Rooney would go the way he did).

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think the blame is misplaced if Uniteds decline is in any way Fergies fault....can't believe I'm defending Fergie! He left them as a title winning side with 11 points to burn,can't really argue with that.

Older players like Vidic, Ferdinand and Scholes were being phased out that season too. There certainly wasn't a huge reliance on them at all. In Ferguson's last season, a heavy majority of the major contributors in the squad were either young or in their prime.

As you said, Moyes just couldn't get the players on side (his failing, ultimately) and Van Gaal clearly made mistakes with how he gutted that squad.

The notion that Fergie handed Moyes an aging/declining squad is one of the biggest myths in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Suuuuuuuure

Just the 23 appearances for rio in his last season

Just the 34 games for vidic

Just the 21 games for Scholes in his last season

Very phased out alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

*looks at thread title*
    *squints and rubs eyes*
    *looks again*

It says 'Summer Transfer Window - 2016' but it must be the Man Utd thread!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Sofiane Boufal set to join Southampton for a club record fee of £21.2m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Suuuuuuuure

Just the 23 appearances for rio in his last season

Just the 34 games for vidic

Just the 21 games for Scholes in his last season

Very phased out alright

LOL, even though you're wrong with some of your figures (I was clearly talking about Fergie's last season), if you don't think older players making 23 and 21 appearances respectively in a ~60 game season signals a phasing out process, you need to think harder about football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any background on this guy? Bar who owns him in soccer manager ha ha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bentaleb is off to Shalke on loan, with a clause to buy him for £17 million apparently.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Perez of Deportivo going to Arsenal for £17m according to the Guardian.

kfallon wrote: »
    *looks at thread title*
    *squints and rubs eyes*
    *looks again*

It says 'Summer Transfer Window - 2016' but it must be the Man Utd thread!!!

Looks at Man Utd thread!

Sighs and Stays away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Liverpool set to bid for him for a club record fee of £42.4m in summer 2017 :D.

I truly wish Spurs have gone for him rather than Zaha (cross of Townsend/Lennon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Perez of Deportivo going to Arsenal for £17m according to the Guardian.

No, no. This is Wenger we're talking about.

https://twitter.com/GaffneyVLC/status/768810094549172225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bravo to City (€18m according to Barca) and Cillesen to Barca (€13m according to Barca) both official now.

Haven't seen much of Cillesen at all but I imagine he's going to be back-up to Ter Stegen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No, no. This is Wenger we're talking about.

https://twitter.com/GaffneyVLC/status/768810094549172225

https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/768812914883063808

Arsenal being cheap almost as inevitable as their post Xmas collapses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Brilliant article on football transfers and how they are structured.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Fair play that was a good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Juventus overpaid for Higuain. But getting Pjanic & now possibly Matuidi for a combined €60m while selling Pogba for €110m is brillant business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bravo to City (€18m according to Barca) and Cillesen to Barca (€13m according to Barca) both official now.

Haven't seen much of Cillesen at all but I imagine he's going to be back-up to Ter Stegen.

I hope so for Barca's sake because he is not having his best period of his career this season.
    At fault for both goals they conceded against PAOK. Not exactly glorious in the other games either. Maybe just a phase but he looks like he folds under pressure nowadays.

Oh, and when they reach knock out stages of anything and penalties have to be taken, sub him like Van Gaal did.
    Faced 40 penalties, 38 goals, 1 goal in the rebound (back from the post) and 1 not score cause the shot was wide.
    So he never actually stopped a penalty.

So i think they got him to bolster up Barca's penalty takers in training after they missed 50% of their penalties last season :D

Blatter wrote: »
    LOL, even though you're wrong with some of your figures (I was clearly talking about Fergie's last season), if you don't think older players making 23 and 21 appearances respectively in a ~60 game season signals a phasing out process, you need to think harder about football.

Fergies last season they played even more. Most of their games were in the prem. Each of them has more than 20 games of the 38 game prem season

So clearly they were vital members of the squad still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The net spend bit is a must-read for everyone. Really changes how you look at it and you realise it's not all that important when other costs are taken into account like wages and image rights.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The net spend bit is a must-read for everyone. Really changes how you look at it and you realise it's not all that important when other costs are taken into account like wages and image rights.

Yeah I found that the most interesting part also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I look forward to Liverpool signing him in two years, would compliment Mane very well.

I look forward to Liverpool signing him in two years, would compliment Mane very well.

Mane will be gone on to City by then along with Coutinho........

:D and so it goes!

how has Mane been generally playing by the way? l have seen f all of Liverpools pre season and 2 games thus far, just general highlights and of course the goal. and can we exclude Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Mane will be gone on to City by then along with Coutinho........

Not sure about that. I can't imagine FSG being able to make a deal like that. I'm not sure if Klopp joined Liverpool to sell their best players every year like Dortmund did.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Not sure about that. I can't imagine FSG being able to make a deal like that. I'm not sure if Klopp joined Liverpool to sell their best players every year like Dortmund did.

ah, i was half kidding. But lets be honest Coutinho and Mane will eventually get frustrated if Pool don't break that top 4. I could see Coutinho Spanish bound. He seems the type of player that will attract either or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Perez to Arsenal is almost a done deal@£17million. Mustafi right behind him! Wenger spending £50+million on them both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/768812914883063808

Arsenal being cheap almost as inevitable as their post Xmas collapses.

What a ridiculously stupid tweet. The majority of deals are financed in installments.

how has Mane been generally playing by the way? l have seen f all of Liverpools pre season and 2 games thus far, just general highlights and of course the goal. and can we exclude Tuesday!

Mane has been pretty damned thrilling to watch, if he stays in a groove he'll be the assist king of the season (along with Ozil no doubt), I'm not making a direct comparison as they play in different positions as he's not as good a player (obviously) but Sadio has the sort of galvanizing effect that Suarez had - he makes things happen and brings others into play in a way that simply wouldn't happen if he were not playing.

Mane has been pretty damned thrilling to watch, if he stays in a groove he'll be the assist king of the season (along with Ozil no doubt), I'm not making a direct comparison as they play in different positions as he's not as good a player (obviously) but Sadio has the sort of galvanizing effect that Suarez had - he makes things happen and brings others into play in a way that simply wouldn't happen if he were not playing.

Tony V may have something to say about that at United! (he finally has found out how to lift the ball off the ground!!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You're hardly comparing mane to Suarez?

Good to see the hyperbole is still alive and well at anfield!

Edit: I'm aware you justified it but Nonetheless mane shouldn't be in the same sentence as Suarez. Particularly not after one decent game and few pre season runs.

I knew someone with a literal rather than nuanced mind would complain!

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're hardly comparing mane to Suarez?

Good to see the hyperbole is still alive and well at anfield!

Edit: I'm aware you justified it but Nonetheless mane shouldn't be in the same sentence as Suarez. Particularly not after one decent game and few pre season runs.

He clearly didn't compare them, merely the relative galvanising influence they can have on a game.
    Its all relative, Suarez and Sterling have left the building and Liverpool, at times flatten and needed someone to take risks on the ball that with some urgency and fuel.

Mane is that sort of player. There is a very raw edge to him, a schoolboy edge where he abandons what many would perceive to be composure to take the bull by the horns, so to speak and inevitably reap rewards

A lot of the time this will be fruitless but if you are not in you cant win and the sort of power house running he brings will create an excitement aandpace and power to the team that was lacking last season.

Thats, I assume, what he means by galvanising.

If Sturridge was a bigger guy he would be a much better version of Mane but whilst Sturridge brings silk, Coutinho brings mastery and precision with the ball at his feet, Mane brings invigoration and strength and gets behind defenders and splits defences with pace.

He clearly didn't compare them, merely the relative galvanising influence they can have on a game.
    Its all relative, Suarez and Sterling have left the building and Liverpool, at times flatten and needed someone to take risks on the ball that with some urgency and fuel.

Mane is that sort of player. There is a very raw edge to him, a schoolboy edge where he abandons what many would perceive to be composure to take the bull by the horns, so to speak and inevitably reap rewards

A lot of the time this will be fruitless but if you are not in you cant win and the sort of power house running he brings will create an excitement aandpace and power to the team that was lacking last season.

Thats, I assume, what he means by galvanising.

If Sturridge was a bigger guy he would be a much better version of Mane but whilst Sturridge brings silk, Coutinho brings mastery and precision with the ball at his feet, Mane brings invigoration and strength and gets behind defenders and splits defences with pace.

Hyperbole, hyperbole everywhere!!

cliche cliche cliche everywhere.

I have no reason nor bias to hyperbole Liverpool at all, much the opposite in fact. But That is precisely the type of player he is, relative to his level, but thats what he brings to the table. Name one thing I said that isn't an attribute Mane has shown to have?

Noone is saying he is a world beater, obviously he has limitations compared to other players of his type of makeup, but I am just saying what he will bring to Liverpool. How is that hyperbole?

Perhaps outline his attributes and what he will bring to Anfield?

• Advertisement

cliche cliche cliche everywhere.

I have no reason nor bias to hyperbole Liverpool at all, much the opposite in fact. But That is precisely the type of player he is, relative to his level, but thats what he brings to the table. Name one thing I said that isn't an attribute Mane has shown to have?

Noone is saying he is a world beater, obviously he has limitations compared to other players of his type of makeup, but I am just saying what he will bring to Liverpool. How is that hyperbole?

Perhaps outline his attributes and what he will bring to Anfield?

Average player, will bring a bit of pace and directness and will certainly improve a poor side. A typical 5th/6th in the prem player that wouldn't get near a top side.

No need for the Hollywood extras.

Of course that's just my opinion....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see Balotelli is being strongly linked with a move to Nice. That would be one of the more mental transfers of the window as I'm not sure how they could afford his wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Now that's just exaggeration.

Now that's just exaggeration.

"If Sturridge was a bigger guy he would be a much better version of Mane but whilst Sturridge brings silk, Coutinho brings mastery and precision with the ball at his feet, Mane brings invigoration and strength and gets behind defenders and splits defences with pace."

It sure was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I see Balotelli is being strongly linked with a move to Nice. That would be one of the more mental transfers of the window as I'm not sure how they could afford his wages.

The teams who could afford his wages have no interest in him, so I guess he's just going to have to accept those wags are gone till he proves himself again.

Or would Pool be subsidizing any of them, in a bid to get mostly him off the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Shane Duffy got his move anyway.

£4million to Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Zaza is expected to sign for West Ham today for £24million.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/769102094607458304

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Officer999

They signed Dante from Wolfsburg this week which is a really good signing for them so they have cash available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Johner wrote: »
    Zaza is expected to sign for West Ham today for £24million.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/769102094607458304

They'd have been better off signing Zsa Zsa Gabor for £10m!!!
    Guy is a loose cannon with very, very average ability!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

kfallon wrote: »
    They'd have been better off signing Zsa Zsa Gabor for £10m!!!
    Guy is a loose cannon with very, very average ability!

He did well at Sassuolo saying he's very, very average is completely inaccurate. He's not an Italian David Nugent

Advertisement