Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Considering there's no transfer fee it's a great bit of business considering shirt sales and the like but it's still a very high risk high reward move. If it goes well you've one of the best strikers who'll bag a good few goals while striking fear into defences and also being a solid mentor for the young pups, but if he decides to go full retard with the third person ego diva sh*t and try and think he's number one it could be poison for a club trying to rewrite its wrongs. If this is a one year thing you cannot afford to structure a team around him like what was done at PSG and Milan, so it'll be interesting how they give the baby his bottle while building a solid team for the next 5 years using players like Martial properly where he can flourish. The league is going to have a sh*t tonne of massive personalities though, which is a great thing, and there's bound to be several more to add to that before the end of August.

Well no one else was in for him or was there? It is a lot of cash and a position on the team to roll the dice with.Money no object to the team so theres no point bring that into it,but what realistically expecting from him,20 goals?Rooney gets that .
    I would have thought Aubameyang or Lewandowski would have been a more dangerous signing,would have been at the team for years to come and martial and rashford can get experience from them.

Overall not that great considering the striking options out there and in a years time still have to replace him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He will get a signing on fee or Mino will anyway. They never do anything for free. You kinda have to build the team around him to get the best out of him but he is nearly 35 so it can only be a short term affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ERG89 wrote: »
    He will get a signing on fee or Mino will anyway. They never do anything for free. You kinda have to build the team around him to get the best out of him but he is nearly 35 so it can only be a short term affair.

Him and his agent would be getting a signing on fee anyway. You'd be paying more this way but still making a massive saving on what you'd have to pay in a transfer fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well no one else was in for him or was there? It is a lot of cash and a position on the team to roll the dice with.Money no object to the team so theres no point bring that into it,but what realistically expecting from him,20 goals?Rooney gets that .
    I would have thought Aubameyang or Lewandowski would have been a more dangerous signing,would have been at the team for years to come and martial and rashford can get experience from them.

Overall not that great considering the striking options out there and in a years time still have to replace him

If he does sign and if we can get 30% of last seasons contributions from him that means 20 or so extra goals.

I'd be happy enough with that for 1 season tbh.

Signing him for a season would also take alot of pressure off Rashford.

Can you imagine, being a young player, off the back of a dream debut season, having an icon like Ibra to play off for a year.

Its fantasy football stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CSF wrote: »
    Him and his agent would be getting a signing on fee anyway. You'd be paying more this way but still making a massive saving on what you'd have to pay in a transfer fee.

His transfer fees for Milan & PSG were both about €20m each time not exactly a lot. If you compare that to fees then or now I wonder why PL teams didn't sign him then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

If he does sign and if we can get 30% of last seasons contributions from him that means 20 or so extra goals.

I'd be happy enough with that for 1 season tbh.

Signing him for a season would also take alot of pressure off Rashford.

Can you imagine, being a young player, off the back of a dream debut season, having an icon like Ibra to play off for a year.

Its fantasy football stuff.

that be 15 goals which Rooney allready gave and United fans where disappointed with.Not trying to turn the screw with you just thinking to my self if 15 to 20 goals is what is expected of him then is he really that much of a step up from Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vardy at the sort of money rumoured would be an atrocious signing for Arsenal.

Paully D wrote: »

They could do a lot worse. 20 plus goals the season just gone and his kind of running seems like it'd be dangerous in any style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

As an Arsenal fan myself I have reservations about signing Vardy, but if ya were told that a striker who scored 24 goals for a premier league winning team was available for £20million , than most people would call it a snip in any other season. Still wouldn't be surprised if the deal falls through and Vardy stays at Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What the hell is this? I'm not a United fan but it's an awesome signing, he is still one of the biggest stars on the planet.

There is no negative to this. It makes United a more appealing club to players because an elite player is joining them.

Also it's very early in the season and he might have had a lot of suiters but with what has transpired over the last few weeks it wouldn't be surprising if he had an early agreement made with Mourinho about joining him wherever he landed next.

This is the biggest name to sign on for a Premier league club in a long time. He is a true superstar of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ibra confirmed he has plenty of offers and any team would be mad not to sign Ibra on a free transfer.

Also there is no point going long term if are trusting Martial and rashford. Ibra at max can play 2 years at top level which is ideal for ManUtd youngsters.

Last year he had his best ever goal scoring season, he knows how to score goals and he bring lot more to the team than Rooney.

Signing Ibra is a very easy decision. Can't understand how anyone can find negatives in the deal when it's just 1 year deal with option to extend 1 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I assume that now that Ibrahimovic has signed for a premier league team I assume all the sh1te that was wrote/spoken about him by the british media over the years will be turned around and instead of being overrated he'll now be one of the greatest players in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So with Rooney, Ibrahimavic, Martial and Rashford UTD have four genuine strikers, that's if they are deployed as strikers and not played on the wing or as midfielders. It will be interesting to see who Mourinho sees as his best pairing should he go 442.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

£20 million is going to look like a bargain with the way fees are going to go this summer. That's a reasonable price IMO.

Kante to Chelsea was being widely Twitter reported last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

eagle eye wrote: »
    What the hell is this? I'm not a United fan but it's an awesome signing, he is still one of the biggest stars on the planet.

There is no negative to this. It makes United a more appealing club to players because an elite player is joining them.

Also it's very early in the season and he might have had a lot of suiters but with what has transpired over the last few weeks it wouldn't be surprising if he had an early agreement made with Mourinho about joining him wherever he landed next.

This is the biggest name to sign on for a Premier league club in a long time. He is a true superstar of the game.
    Agreed, and this is from a Liverpool fan, cracking signing, hes as top quality as you'll find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very good signing for United. I don't think he will do as well in the PL as France and it's hard to know how he'll take to lads taken lumps out of him for sport but I still see him scoring a lot of goals for United and I look forward to seeing him in the League.

What wages will he be on same as Rooney or more? The wage bill must be massive at United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kante to Chelsea was being widely Twitter reported last night.

Was just reading how French media outlet Le Parisien claimed about a months ago that he has a €25million release clause in his contract.

Considering how Vardy it appears has a similar one I wonder...Mahrez?

Afterall if I was him and I saw those two jump ship I would def be thinking about getting a move to a huge club and doubling my wages etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Koeman to be confirmed as Everton manager soon by the looks of it. Well its a transfer.

Sunderland are after Diafra Sakho. £11m bid gone in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If Kante goes aswell that's Leicester well and truely ****ed , Mahrez will surely follow them out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Vardy to arsenal seems a strange choice. Arsenal being a possession heavy side won't have many games where's there's a plethora of space in behind for Vardy to exploit. It could work but Vardy will likely have to adapt his game very heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I assume that now that Ibrahimovic has signed for a premier league team I assume all the sh1te that was wrote/spoken about him by the british media over the years will be turned around and instead of being overrated he'll now be one of the greatest players in the game.

I suppose we'll just have to see what the reaction is like after the Stoke game.

Important to note that Leicester will have a ****load of money to spend this summer. If those figures are right you've about 45 million coming in for Vardy/Kante, plus Champions League money, plus whatever money the owner was going to invest anyway. If those 2 go you're probably looking at Mahrez following

You're never going to replace Vardy and Kante's (or Mahrez if he goes too) influence last season, but if you have over 100 million to spend in a summer you can go along way towards making yourselves a constant top 6 competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Important to note that Leicester will have a ****load of money to spend this summer. If those figures are right you've about 45 million coming in for Vardy/Kante, plus Champions League money, plus whatever money the owner was going to invest anyway. If those 2 go you're probably looking at Mahrez following

You're never going to replace Vardy and Kante's (or Mahrez if he goes too) influence last season, but if you have over 100 million to spend in a summer you can go along way towards making yourselves a constant top 6 competitor.

Or you can blow it all like Liverpool did.

Leicester will tumble down the table if those three leave this summer. They won't have a hope of making the CL and would do well to make the top half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

How much could Liverpool realistically get for Coutinho? If you could get a seriously high number (70 million plus) you might be doing well because his obvious immense talent doesn't always translate into consistency.

Coutinho is not even worth 25 million. Very average and overrated player. Liverpool should take any silly amount of money for him. Klopp has alot of clearing out to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Anybody worrying about zlatan and his ability to handle the physical English game, don't, he's a beast, hel be throwing defenders around for sport.

Can only see him up top through the middle flanked by martial and AN other in a three. Hel needs legs and workrate around him

I thought vardy to Liverpool made way more sense with their style of play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

tastyt wrote: »
    I thought vardy to Liverpool made way more sense with their style of play

How so?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    How so?

It's just I agree with a poster that said arsenal will in the vast majority of games have more possession than the opponent so teams that play against them will sit deeper and there won't be the space in behind that vardy loves, I'm also unsure if he will have the ability to play those intricate one touch little balls around the box that arsenal love.

Liverpool play a more pressing fast paced game and try to get the ball forward earlier and release their pacy players. Just thought vardy has the workrate and pace that typifies klopps approach.

In saying that hel have plenty of chances made for him at arsenal and has shown he can finish so I'm sure hel still score a bucketfull for them, he might even be that option they need in the real big games where they are under the cosh, something different

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Coutinho is not even worth 25 million. Very average and overrated player. Liverpool should take any silly amount of money for him. Klopp has alot of clearing out to do

Yeah ok, good one.

Anybody worrying about zlatan and his ability to handle the physical English game, don't, he's a beast, hel be throwing defenders around for sport.

Can only see him up top through the middle flanked by martial and AN other in a three. Hel needs legs and workrate around him

It wouldn't be the physical side of the game as much as it is the pace of the game. It's why most players who've been raised in the English game domestically don't do so well abroad and on the flip side, it's a big ask for players coming in from other countries to play in England and get used to it.

Of course it helps massively when playing in a team/league that doesn't suit your style when you've as much class and ability as Ibrahimovic does. I can't wait to see how he does next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Very good signing for United. I don't think he will do as well in the PL as France and it's hard to know how he'll take to lads taken lumps out of him for sport but I still see him scoring a lot of goals for United and I look forward to seeing him in the League.

What wages will he be on same as Rooney or more? The wage bill must be massive at United.

He played a couple of matches in Italy.
    I think he ll be ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The only thing with that is which Premiership team don't have a sh!t tonne of money atm. Take everton for example, was just reading about how their new owners had promised Koeman up to 100m and whatever they make from a potential Lukaku sale to spend. That could be nonsense but you can already see how much West Ham are trying to spend on players like Lacazette and thats without mentioning big teams like Utd and Mourinho who didn't make the CL who are def going to be spending really big as are Chelsea and Man City with Pep are not going to be left behind in the transfer market.Then you have teams like Spurs who no doubt will also want to build on their CL place and would actually be a more attractive prospect for players as a more established bigger club who look to be keeping their star players.

It's going to be incredibly hard for Leicster. Not saying they won't do well again next year and I would not bet against them but their best bet really was doing everything to hold onto those 3 in particular. technically none have left yet though so lets see but especially with those release clauses although they will make a very healthy profit on them they will be very hard to replace.

Zlatan is great and I've wanted to see him in the Premiership for ages although I do wonder if Utd will fall into the England trap of trying to force Rooney into the team to their own detriment. I am still not convinced he is a potentially good AM but can only imagine that right now he will be plaed in the hole behind Zlatan with Marital probably getting most of his game time from the left while Rashford would be the super sub / cup game man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

GdS quote Ranieri as saying Vardy to Arsenal is true.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/739151031104339970

• Advertisement

£29.8 million for a 29 years old one season wonder shows how insane the prices are going to be due to the new TV deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Turtwig wrote: »
    Vardy to arsenal seems a strange choice. Arsenal being a possession heavy side won't have many games where's there's a plethora of space in behind for Vardy to exploit. It could work but Vardy will likely have to adapt his game very heavily.

Was just thinking that myself. He'll have to completely change his game to adapt to Arsenal's style. Square peg in round hole if I ever saw one. Although at 29 he's going to have to adapt his game sooner or later as he wont have that ability to get in behind for too much longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Villarreal apparently briefing that Bailley is joining man United.

£29.8m for Vardy, ****ing hell.

A ridiculous move on Arsenal's part IMO. I really like the club and Wenger, but how do they go from seemingly never really spending the money required to get that true next level striker they've been searching for to deciding to throw almost £30m at Leicester for Vardy?

Put another bit of cash on top of that £30m and they surely wouldn't be too far off landing a genuinely top class player to add to their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

£29.8m for Vardy, ****ing hell.

A ridiculous move on Arsenal's part IMO. I really like the club and Wenger, but how do they go from seemingly never really spending the money required to get that true next level striker they've been searching for to deciding to throw almost £30m at Leicester for Vardy?

Put another bit of cash on top of that £30m and they surely wouldn't be too far off landing a genuinely top class player to add to their side.

I don't know about that. Any established world class players would cost double the value of Vardy to a premier league team imo. I suppose though people have different opinions of who the world class players are. I think Higuain would cost A LOT more for example because of the tv deal. 50 mil at least.

• Advertisement

Given Bailly's biggest strengths I'm about to put a whole lot more faith in the Blind story that Sky were quoting last week. Someone will do well getting Blind IMO.

I don't know about that. Any established world class players would cost double the value of Vardy to a premier league team imo. I suppose though people have different opinions of who the world class players are. I think Higuain would cost A LOT more for example because of the tv deal. 50 mil at least.

50m for Higuain would be a great deal and the extra £20m wouldn't be a lot to Arsenal in fairness, but I think he will go for a lot more than £50m if he does move.

He's scored where ever he's gone and would suit Arsenal much better than Vardy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's just I agree with a poster that said arsenal will in the vast majority of games have more possession than the opponent so teams that play against them will sit deeper and there won't be the space in behind that vardy loves, I'm also unsure if he will have the ability to play those intricate one touch little balls around the box that arsenal love.

Liverpool play a more pressing fast paced game and try to get the ball forward earlier and release their pacy players. Just thought vardy has the workrate and pace that typifies klopps approach.

In saying that hel have plenty of chances made for him at arsenal and has shown he can finish so I'm sure hel still score a bucketfull for them, he might even be that option they need in the real big games where they are under the cosh, something different
    Liverpool have only about 2% less of the ball per game than Arsenal.

Arsenal counter attack plenty, but having Giroud at point means it isn't terribly effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

From being frugal for so long to spending 30 million on a 29 year old with presumably massive wages is a big change around

To be fair he is probably the best striker Arsenal could buy at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

emmetkenny wrote: »
    50m for Higuain would be a great deal and the extra £20m wouldn't be a lot to Arsenal in fairness, but I think he will go for a lot more than £50m if he does move.

He's scored where ever he's gone and would suit Arsenal much better than Vardy.

Not a chance Napoli would sell at 50m. Try 70m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

From being frugal for so long to spending 30 million on a 29 year old with presumably massive wages is a big change around

To be fair he is probably the best striker Arsenal could buy at the minute

Where did this extra 10million come from?
    The clause was 20, is it in case the Leicester board are as sensitive as they are supposed to be at Anfield?

Yeah if they had any sense if and an english club comes in for him they should be looking for well over £50 million

Someone earlier said £50m and I was responding to that post.

I said myself that if he does move this summer it'll be for a lot more than £50m. I thought I read before that the Napoli chairman said they wouldn't entertain offers below £80m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Liverpool have only about 2% less of the ball per game than Arsenal.

Arsenal counter attack plenty, but having Giroud at point means it isn't terribly effective.

This.

Can see him and Ozil clicking. Imagine. Don't see how vardy would have to significantly adapt his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

greendom wrote: »
    Where did this extra 10million come from?
    The clause was 20, is it in case the Leicester board are as sensitive as they are supposed to be at Anfield?

The figure of £20m was just rumoured, there's plenty of articles from just a few weeks ago quoting the £30m figure as well as articles quoting the £20m. I don't think anyone but the 2 clubs know the real figure to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement