Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

From being frugal for so long to spending 30 million on a 29 year old with presumably massive wages is a big change around

To be fair he is probably the best striker Arsenal could buy at the minute

New stadium put a dent in their spending for a good few years. Had to sell their best players.
    Guess it is as good as paid off now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/739572799698702336

Leicester prepare bid for Troy Deeney as Jamie Vardy contract negotiations continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/739572799698702336

Leicester prepare bid for Troy Deeney as Jamie Vardy contract negotiations continue.

That would be a terrible replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They know their level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Pretty sad to see Leicester effectively giving up and cashing in.You'd really like a teams to properly capitalise on winning the league and try and set themselves up as perennial challengers for the next 10-15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Deeney will not be a direct replacement for Vardy. Apples and oranges. But he's a good player who will improve their squad who have to play a lot of games next year. Were people expecting Griezmann or Lacazette?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Deeney to replace Vardy, that is absolutely awful, surely they could try to lure a decent striker on the continent with that £30m.

I mean would you replace Luis Suarez with Rickie La......oh wait :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pretty sad to see Leicester effectively giving up and cashing in.You'd really like a teams to properly capitalise on winning the league and try and set themselves up as perennial challengers for the next 10-15 years.

Another club met a release clause. It's up to the player at that stage, nothing Leicester can do.

In any case, it's not easy for smaller clubs to keep hold of players when the big guns come calling, regardless of how well Leicester did this season. You've got someone like Arsenal who are playing Champions League football every season, based in London, are going to probably double if not treble your wage. The player is going to want to go 99 times out of 100 and keeping an unhappy player around can be a cancer in the dressing room and a really bad distraction. It works both ways too, if he didn't do the business this season then Leicester would have been happy enough to give him the bullet and source a replacement.

Also, £20m-£30m (depending on who is right in terms of the fee) for a 29 year old who has had one good season at the highest level is hardly a bad deal for them either. Personally, I don't think he's anywhere near being irreplaceable and I'd have him well below Kante and Mahrez in terms of who I'd want to keep from that trio, though I would expect the aforementioned to go too.

Paully D wrote: »
    Another club met a release clause. It's up to the player at that stage, nothing Leicester can do.

In any case, it's not easy for smaller clubs to keep hold of players when the big guns come calling, regardless of how well Leicester did this season. You've got someone like Arsenal who are playing Champions League football every season, based in London, are going to probably double if not treble your wage. The player is going to want to go 99 times out of 100 and keeping an unhappy player around can be a cancer in the dressing room and a really bad distraction. It works both ways too, if he didn't do the business this season then Leicester would have been happy enough to give him the bullet and source a replacement.

Also, £20m-£30m (depending on who is right in terms of the fee) for a 29 year old who has had one good season at the highest level is hardly a bad deal for them either. Personally, I don't think he's anywhere near being irreplaceable and I'd have him well below Kante and Mahrez in terms of who I'd want to keep from that trio, though I would expect the aforementioned to go too.

I can see Kante and Mahrez going now and they were pretty much the whole team.

Deeney is a very uninspiring replacement is the bigger issue.They could probably lure a good striker from the continent with the TV money and champions league to play in and at least see if they can get back into the champions league again.

Although if you look at it a different way maybe nobody decent will want to sign for them as they know last season is not going to happen again.Nothing worse than joining a team after they have peaked and ending up with nothing for yourself.

• Advertisement

It really is the insane the amount of disrespect being shown to a team who won the league by 10 points. A lot of people really don't seem to be able to get past reputations. If a new season kicked off in August with the same squads that finished the last I would have backed Leicester to be in the title mix once more.

CSF wrote: »
    It really is the insane the amount of disrespect being shown to a team who won the league by 10 points. A lot of people really don't seem to be able to get past reputations. If a new season kicked off in August with the same squads that finished the last I would have backed Leicester to be in the title mix once more.

Not sure about that. They've a decent enough team on paper but so many of there players have been mediocre their whole careers and just had a great season. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Not sure about that. They've a decent enough team on paper but so many of there players have been mediocre their whole careers and just had a great season. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Lightning didn't strike. There was nothing sudden or short-term about it. They were phenomenal for pretty much the whole season. Everyone kept waiting for the blip because people are so used to the narratives they're used to rather than watching the football that was going on and seeing just how excellent Leicester were, while the other teams (with the exception of Arsenal who really should have pushed Leicester closer, dropping stupid points) just weren't as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It wasn't just last season, the season before they were the best team in the league over the final 10 games. It's a 48 game run now where they have been the best team.

And they were the best team this past season over the last 10 games too. Nothing lucky about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Kante off to psg now. I'm having a punt on them going down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm very confused about the whole release clause.

Going back to Suarez and Arsenal.

They triggered the clause, right?

And he wanted out, right?

But he obviously didn't go.

Why?

Can Leicester not do the same as LFC and basically refuse to sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Arsenal were led to believe Suarez had a clause...He didn't ...Vardy does

Lightning didn't strike. There was nothing sudden or short-term about it. They were phenomenal for pretty much the whole season. Everyone kept waiting for the blip because people are so used to the narratives they're used to rather than watching the football that was going on and seeing just how excellent Leicester were, while the other teams (with the exception of Arsenal who really should have pushed Leicester closer, dropping stupid points) just weren't as good.

Lightning struck for one season is what I'm saying. Loads of teams have had great seasons and not followed up on them.It'll be almost impossible to replicate what they did as their motivation is bound to decrease and if their 3 best players leave (which might happen due to a domino affect) then I can't see them getting close to where they were last year.

Deeney will not be a direct replacement for Vardy. Apples and oranges. But he's a good player who will improve their squad who have to play a lot of games next year. Were people expecting Griezmann or Lacazette?

No but they could be aiming higher than Deeney, Ulloa is better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Arsenal were led to believe Suarez had a clause...He didn't ...Vardy does

Suarez did have a clause, Liverpool's owner just ignored it and hoped not to be brought to court over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just over a year ago they were all but relegated.
    If the FA had guaranteed them 10th place before last season started, i think they would have gladly taken that.
    The only thing they need to do now is make sure they will not go down next year.

What you suggest would make more sense for the Spurs of this world.
    If Spurs now would cash in on Kane and Abel Alli that would be looking at a team giving up.

Leicester realised a fantasy last season but you ll be fooling yourself to think they would be able to keep all 3 MVP's

I know from experience what is going on there now as i see it each and every ****ing year in the Dutch eredivisie.
    The top 3 buying the best players from the others and the top 3 losing their best players to foreign clubs.

The only 1 trying to break that cycle is now down to the Jupiler league as punishment for their fraudulent behaviour over the last decade or so

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    No but they could be aiming higher than Deeney, Ulloa is better than him.

I'd strongly disagree. Deeney is more than decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't see the arguement of having respect for them either....The clauses are there they put them in willingly so other clubs are well within there rights to go in for there players should they want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Do you think Leiscster will finish in the top four next year?

Very average side to win the league. Fantastic achievement but let's not lose the run of ourselves. It was a shocking standard this year in the EPL.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I understand the likely exodus from Leicester from a player point of view. Ideally you'd love to see everyone stay and give it a proper go again next season in the CL but the players themselves probably know that last season was likely a case of lightening in a bottle and if they don't repeat it that's their chance of moving to a "big" club gone (particularly for someone of Vardy's age).

glued wrote: »
    Do you think Leiscster will finish in the top four next year?

Very average side to win the league. Fantastic achievement but let's not lose the run of ourselves. It was a shocking standard this year in the EPL.

I'll tell you where I think Leicester will finish when I see their squad. I'd be tipping last season's squad to be in the mix again but it won't be that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nope never heard of em either

Midfielder (attacking) from FK Ufa, was expected to sign for Dortmund, only 19, youngest international goalscorer for Ukraine now signing for City apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

UkraineEuro2016 have removed their tweet about Zinchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bartra and Rode both to Dortmund, two good signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

ASOT wrote: »
    Bartra and Rode both to Dortmund, two good signings.

BVB are busy beavers alright.
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 9m9 minutes ago
    BVB could be set to sign Emre Mor and Raphael Guerreiro, adding to Sebastian Rode, Marc Bartra, Mikel Merino and Ousmane Dembele. [Kicker}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How long before Bayern is after them

Well Rode is joining them from Bayern so maybe not him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

They'll be buying Dembele in about 2/3 years I reckon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hummels came to Dortmund via Bayern and back after a few years, could yet happen. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hummels came to Dortmund via Bayern and back after a few years, could yet happen. :o

Aye, he could land on the Rode to Bayern yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I'll tell you where I think Leicester will finish when I see their squad. I'd be tipping last season's squad to be in the mix again but it won't be that squad.

Leicester wont be as lucky as there where last season,the had virtually no injury while other teams where destroyed with them.My money going to be backing against Leicester next season I think they will just fall away .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Villareal's Bailly doing his medical at Man United this afternoon apparently.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Villareal's Bailly doing his medical at Man United this afternoon apparently.

?

Source!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ?

Source!

https://twitter.com/LeeClayton_/status/740165562760859653
    Lee Clayton ✔ @LeeClayton_
    Breaking: Eric Bailly medical at #MUFC this afternoon. First Bailly since Gary. More on @MailSport soon (minus the Bailly gags)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Dortmund are really going down the Talent Route. They have just signed 18 year old Turkish International Emre Mor for some 4mil. Euro. That's the third Talent they have signed this season. Seems they are able to convince targets to join them with their track record of developing young players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DubDani wrote: »
    Dortmund are really going down the Talent Route. They have just signed 18 year old Turkish International Emre Mor for some 4mil. Euro. That's the third Talent they have signed this season. Seems they are able to convince targets to join them with their track record of developing young players.

https://twitter.com/BVB/status/740168368888684545

He looks like a shit Princess Leia with that haircut.

Can't wait for the Emre Beag memes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BVB/status/740168368888684545

He looks like a shit Princess Leia with that haircut.

Or a failed extra from Bugsy Malone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good youth player, looks an archetypal Michael Zorc signing.

Emre Mor looks a huge talent, he's gone to the right club to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

astradave wrote: »

Meh, if they keep buying strikers when they need a whole new midfield and defense I'd be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Liam O wrote: »
    Meh, if they keep buying strikers when they need a whole new midfield and defense I'd be happy.

Gundogan, Fernando, Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Navas, Toure, Fernandinho, Delph

Yeah they really need a whole new midfield

Would defo rather have Schweinstwiger, Carrick, Fellaini et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Gundogan, Fernando, Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Navas, Toure, Fernandinho, Delph

Yeah they really need a whole new midfield

Would defo rather have Schweinstwiger, Carrick, Fellaini et al

I agree. They just need to replace Toure with Pogba now.

• MagicIRL wrote: »

Ssn reporting medical completed

Great signing, good to get the transfers started early

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ssn reporting medical completed

Great signing, good to get the transfers started early

No doubt you've been watching him studiously throughout his Villareal career

• Advertisement
Advertisement