Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HotDogs Get Yer HotDogs....

Options
  • 22-03-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are any honest hotdog stand owners here on boards that would give an idea of how much is made outside a club on a Friday Saturday night.

For some romantic reason I've bought a cart recently and I'm doing it up as a hobby and was looking to set one up in Drogheda town subject to the usual paper work being in place.

Just wondering if there are any realistic expectations I should have so I know when the time comes if I'm set up in the right place. For instance would you sell 20, 40, 100 hotdogs in a night?

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Joshua5 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are any honest hotdog stand owners here on boards that would give an idea of how much is made outside a club on a Friday Saturday night.

For some romantic reason I've bought a cart recently and I'm doing it up as a hobby and was looking to set one up in Drogheda town subject to the usual paper work being in place.

Just wondering if there are any realistic expectations I should have so I know when the time comes if I'm set up in the right place. For instance would you sell 20, 40, 100 hotdogs in a night?

Ta!
    Can you just stick to the one thread on finding out about your proposed business? Or even, maybe, do your own market research and contact your LEO and they'll supply all the info you need

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

duploelabs wrote: »
    Can you just stick to the one thread on finding out about your proposed business? Or even, maybe, do your own market research and contact your LEO and they'll supply all the info you need

This is the first thread I've opened on Hotdogs buddy, relax yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Bear in mind that there's more to this business than just getting your licence

I know the first guy who ever did this in dublin, about 20 years ago.

Did really well etc etc until he got beaten badly And told not to come back or he'd be hospitalised. He didn't back down and went back again and his stand got smashed to pieces and he got assaulted again

It's a controlled by thugs industry, always was always will be. You rock up somewhere and setup and you might get more than you bargained for. Especially in the area your thinking off.

Bandara wrote: »
    Bear in mind that there's more to this business than just getting your licence

I know the first guy who ever did this in dublin, about 20 years ago.

Did really well etc etc until he got beaten badly And told not to come back or he'd be hospitalised. He didn't back down and went back again and his stand got smashed to pieces and he got assaulted again

It's a controlled by thugs industry, always was always will be. You rock up somewhere and setup and you might get more than you bargained for. Especially in the area your thinking off.

Yes I did hear this and I'm certainly not rambo but I'd like to try it out. I'm not looking to get rich but I'd enjoy yapping to folks outside the clubs and stuff like that. Just curious what the average expected sales generally are. I know it depends on location, the reason I'm looking to find out is I believe it would be better to have two people on the cart for safety reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The obvious approach would be to find an existing operation and plonk yourself next to it for a couple of nights counting sales.
    For some romantic reason I've bought a cart

Ahhhh who can forget the romance of sausages of unknown pedigree and dubious hygiene :confused::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If it is romance you are after, forget the cart but keep the hay!
    As Graham said, do a kerbwatch. Chat to the vendor (not when he is busy), tell him that you are thinking of setting up in a country town and want to get a few ideas

If it is romance you are after, forget the cart but keep the hay!
    As Graham said, do a kerbwatch. Chat to the vendor (not when he is busy), tell him that you are thinking of setting up in a country town and want to get a few ideas

It's more my 10 year olds romantic idea that he talked me into LOL...

When I have him the weekend we cook funky street food dishes, he's an aspiring chef... He asked could we set up a cafe together and I'm an office man but I bought an old cart and we've been working on doing it up together. It actually looks great and he uses it to feed family and friends.

I just thought I could use it to get me out of the house when I don't have him around and even make a couple of bob in the process.But I certainly don't want to be battered or at risk of it for 50 quid a night... 100 a night maybe worth the risk

It's more my 10 year olds romantic idea that he talked me into LOL...

When I have him the weekend we cook funky street food dishes, he's an aspiring chef... He asked could we set up a cafe together and I'm an office man but I bought an old cart and we've been working on doing it up together. It actually looks great and he uses it to feed family and friends.

I just thought I could use it to get me out of the house when I don't have him around and even make a couple of bob in the process.But I certainly don't want to be battered or at risk of it for 50 quid a night... 100 a night maybe worth the risk

If you've already got a cart, what about cutting your teeth doing private catering gigs? That way you're ensured of income and you don't have to worry about a traders license

If you've already got a cart, what about cutting your teeth doing private catering gigs? That way you're ensured of income and you don't have to worry about a traders license

I think that's a very good idea, I'd have no idea where to start for advertising to be frank thats why I thought of heading outside a few clubs in the town.

I did see a few threads about people considering them for weddings, I think thats a great idea but I'm also thinking getting that sort of custom would be very difficult for a one man and a cart crew...

Not sure if I seen it on boards but defo somewhere was mentioning that for weddings the quotes they got where 500 upwards for after the church or reception. Jasus I'd do it for a fraction of that cost.

Jasus I'd do it for a fraction of that cost.

What? Why?

Are you sure you understand your costs? Product, insurance, travel, wastage, your time etc etc etc.

What is this bizarre obsession people have with being the cheapest? You're not Tesco, you're not going to be able to pile it high and sell it cheap. Don't try it.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    What? Why?

Are you sure you understand your costs? Product, insurance, travel, wastage, your time etc etc etc.

What is this bizarre obsession people have with being the cheapest? You're not Tesco, you're not going to be able to pile it high and sell it cheap. Don't try it.

If it's 500 a gig catering for 200 which appears to be the norm the profit after expenses would be in the region of 350 euro. Not too shabby for a few hours on someones wedding day. I would be happy doing it for cheaper, not because of an obsession of doing things cheap but because I'm not greedy.

Like 150 quid for a day would be ample really as a casual income

Are you sure you understand your costs?

That would be a no then.

Seriously how many hours shopping, prepping, loading, unloading, cleaning, cooking, serving are you going to be doing for your €150 (before tax).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's 500 a gig catering for 200 which appears to be the norm the profit after expenses would be in the region of 350 euro. Not too shabby for a few hours on someones wedding day. I would be happy doing it for cheaper, not because of an obsession of doing things cheap but because I'm not greedy.

After tax and other expenses you won't have much left from the €350. You'll need insurance in case you poison the customers. How will you get the cart to the venue, commercial insurance for the vehicle and it's difficult to transfer your private car NCD will be a big expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

*smashes face off desk repeatedly

That would be a no then.

Seriously how many hours shopping, prepping, loading, unloading, cleaning, cooking, serving are you going to be doing for your €150 (before tax).

I see your a negative Joe here...

Have you ever made a hotdog? In terms of prep they boil, thats what the cart does lol...

Insurance is 250 for the year for the cart from IOMST, I have a crew cab and it fits on the back of this so no added insurance costs here. It also has a wee hiab on it so it slings off and on with ease.

The hot dogs themselves I get from my local butcher along with the buns from the local bakery for 200 people work out at 100 euros. Thats right, 50 cent each.

The prep, well thats the fun bit. I make all my own sauces and they stand to cost about 30 quid in ingredients.

I've factored in about 20 quid in diesel allowance but I wouldn't be planning of travelling across the country either way.

If I'm missing something glaringly obvious please point it out by all means, but to assume I know nothing and haven't look into it in any detail is a bit ott.

As I said that would leave about 350 excluding the vat, I'd be happy with 150 excluding my VAT. Sure what else could you get 100-150 for a few hours work.

Bandara wrote: »
    *smashes face off desk repeatedly

Ah come on guys.... 150 quid for a few hours work and I'm getting hell for making the comment hehe.

I'm deadly serious, I've got everything needed and the cost of the produce.
    It's a low overhead business really, very cheap to run in fact.

I can only give you the figures I have, the only thing I don't have is the little cartons to put the dogs in. The rest is cheap or already in place.

I don't class going to the butcher or bakery as extra work, I go there every week anyway. I can happily point you in the direction of where I buy my produce if you are paying over the odds :-)

I see your a negative Joe here...

I'm probably one of the least negative posters around but that's ok, I can take it.

Had you explained you were only doing this as a hobby, you may have received more appropriate advice. ;)

I'm probably one of the least negative posters around but that's ok, I can take it.

Had you explained you were only doing this as a hobby, you may have received more appropriate advice. ;)

Sorry my bad, although my original post did say doing it up as a hobby....
    But maybe I should have been clearer, I don't plan to become a fulltime hotdog man.

But I'd do it for somethign to do when I don't have my kids around to meet folks and earn a little extra mula...

Recreational nuptial hotdog vending now there is an unusual past-time.

Would that make you a chipolatalist or a frankfurterologist?

I still reckon you should charge the market rate, stick the extra into your kids college fund.

Recreational nuptial hotdog vending now there is an unusual past-time.

Would that make you a chipolatalist or a frankfurterologist?

I still reckon you should charge the market rate, stick the extra into your kids college fund.

Believe it or not, my job, my life is highly stressful. Something appealing about the simple serving of hotdogs. It requires very little brain power and the repetitive nature and quick turn over of each dog makes it a stress relief for me.

I might steal that frankfurterologist for a branding lol... I honestly would rather cook a few hotdogs than sit in my house doing sweet feck all.

I'm at the age now that doing something is better than doing nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I helped restore a cart about ten years ago for a friend he was like you just a hobby. He done two nights a week for a couple of years he didn't make loads of money but was happy doing it for that. So if you have the cart go for it once it's inspected and insured. It's all the better if your kid enjoys it. All the money in the world won't buy that time.

iano.p wrote: »
    I helped restore a cart about ten years ago for a friend he was like you just a hobby. He done two nights a week for a couple of years he didn't make loads of money but was happy doing it for that. So if you have the cart go for it once it's inspected and insured. It's all the better if your kid enjoys it. All the money in the world won't buy that time.

Theres something very therapeutic about it... We removed all the old branding, the dents, shinned it up and designed a new logo. It should be all done in the next two weeks. I have to say I enojyed it more than working on cars and the likes lol

You have obviously never worked, let alone run, anything in the food trade before

You have obviously never worked, let alone run, anything in the food trade before

Is it obvious because I said I work a desk job 9-5 or because I said I'm doing it as a hobby or perhaps because you see something wrong in my figures?

It's get to point out what I've already pointed out, but whats your point pal?

It's hot dogs, not rocket science or 5* Michelin food. I just mentioned I seen a few people asking for it at their weddings and the price for doing it seems high.

I said I'd do it for less if I could get the business, there are low overheads.
    I'm not sure which point you're disputing. Saying it like I'm missing some glaring point is not very helpful is it. Everyone needs to start somewhere

Everyone needs to start somewhere
    Yes, experience is key in any business. Work somewhere else and learn the trade, your view on the stand is extremely short term and opportunistic.

Yes, experience is key in any business. Work somewhere else and learn the trade, your view on the stand is extremely short term and opportunistic.

Please try and cop on a little. Learn the trade... Boil a hotdog with a smile.
    Opportunistic... It's called trying something new. I don't plan on quitting the day job to become a comme chef because you think it's whats required.

A hot dog cart is a hot dog cart. Good hotdogs come down to the fresh food.
    Simple, nothing to add other than that other than personality.

Do you honestly think those guys selling them in town are fresh from masterchef? Or are you just here to critic everything.

Tell me where you see the gaps? Where I'm not doing things to your almighty standards and I'll hold my hands up to you then IF you point it out in a constructive manner. Otherwise jog on

Please try and cop on a little.
    you could start with not insulting people
    Learn the trade... Boil a hotdog with a smile.
    If you think that's all to it then you really have no understanding of the business
    Opportunistic... It's called trying something new. I don't plan on quitting the day job to become a comme chef because you think it's whats required.
    To properly run and know your business you need to master every single aspect of it, mean that if something fails you've a basic grasp of the workings of it
    A hot dog cart is a hot dog cart. Good hotdogs come down to the fresh food.
    Simple, nothing to add other than that other than personality.

Do you honestly think those guys selling them in town are fresh from masterchef? Or are you just here to critic everything.
    I run a catering/food production company for quite a while now and can sniff a chancer out. Making something in a home environment is one thing, doing it on a large scale is a completely different kettle of fish.
    Tell me where you see the gaps? Where I'm not doing things to your almighty standards and I'll hold my hands up to you then IF you point it out in a constructive manner. Otherwise jog on
    You brought the hardware, well done you've got about 2% of the business nailed but have no understanding of how the business runs or what's entailed in setting it up.
    Thinking that just because you've the tools doesn't mean you can run the trade. Thinking that it's "just hot dogs" shows you've a very shallow understanding of what's needed to run the stand.

I'm telling you, constructively, that from what you've highlighted as what's necessary to make it work, is in no way close to the entire picture. And that is my professional and experienced opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Hey Joshua,

You have the tools so just get out and give it a go.

If I was you I would unfollow this thread as it's gone of topic and is now nothing but negativity and big men! As it's a hobby just get out there and you'll learn quick enough if its for you or not. The cart is bought now either way and as it is a hobby there is no need to be hearing any of this.

Good luck with it!

What? Why?

Yeah great point. 59th Street in NYC theres a couple of vendors outside a mall there that has a Wholefoods, and just outside a Metro station. The guy that does the best is the one selling gourmet hotdogs, with better sausage, nicer buns, fancier packaging, and he is more then double the price. He even takes much longer making the dog.
    Also setting up outside night clubs might not be the most profitable idea, nor the best for a 10 year old to be experiencing.
    Costco in America sell more hotdogs then some big hot dog fast food chains there, people shopping like their quick fix of fast food. Men dragged along to saturday afternoon shopping will have their eyes on a gourmet hot dog stand. It may even be the reason they agree to go shopping....

• Advertisement

you could start with not insulting people

If you think that's all to it then you really have no understanding of the business

To properly run and know your business you need to master every single aspect of it, mean that if something fails you've a basic grasp of the workings of it

I run a catering/food production company for quite a while now and can sniff a chancer out. Making something in a home environment is one thing, doing it on a large scale is a completely different kettle of fish.

You brought the hardware, well done you've got about 2% of the business nailed but have no understanding of how the business runs or what's entailed in setting it up.
    Thinking that just because you've the tools doesn't mean you can run the trade. Thinking that it's "just hot dogs" shows you've a very shallow understanding of what's needed to run the stand.

I'm telling you, constructively, that from what you've highlighted as what's necessary to make it work, is in no way close to the entire picture. And that is my professional and experienced opinion

Constructive criticism is good, but I think your being a bit harsh. The guy has done some research, has his basic costs, he's not doing it to feed his family. I'm sure he'll make a mistake or two along the way, but lets not pretend a hotdog stand is a big complicated business because its not! Professional catering is a different kettle of fish, pressure, deadlines all sorts of stuff. OP needs to just get on top of his costs, legals, and insurance and then he's good to go so long as he doesn't get beaten up.

Advertisement