Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a cafe racer?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Haha I'm not that brave, I want this done properly so I'll leave it to an expert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zascar wrote: »
    Haha I'm not that brave, I want this done properly so I'll leave it to an expert :)

I used to think like that....but now I don't have the shillings I had to learn..best thing I ever did....experts are just people who tried..;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wohoo! I got her running! I cleaned the fuel injectors but she was still running a bit rough and cutting out. Suspected an air leak so we started hunting around and I found the big pipe connecting the airbox was loose. Took it all apart and connected it up properly, she stared on the button and purrs like a kitten! So relived. Took her for a quick spin up and down the road and she rides real smooth.

Now the real fun can start with the build - just waiting on parts to arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

BMW have been following your thread :P

Some parts arrived: Seat Cowl, undertray, bars, bar end mirrors and footpegs.

H2SQDQx.png

Ordered Speedo, Exhaust & indicators - but they'll be a while.
    Will post more pix of the build as it goes..

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek:..youre not building the seat.....:D

Just a heads up..those mirrors are crap...things really are much closer than they seem with those bad boys..i got the squarer ones..better visibility and they fold away real easy..bars are cool..expensive..??

Fabrication has started :)
    13417692_10153534508421651_2454683941407478090_n.jpg?oh=59166c261844885c6e557ca2256c3879&oe=57D16B04

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Fabrication has started :)
    13417692_10153534508421651_2454683941407478090_n.jpg?oh=59166c261844885c6e557ca2256c3879&oe=57D16B04

Needs more beards and plaid shirts :pac:

Waaaay too much protective gear there.............:p

• Advertisement

He's been in hospital 4 times with steel in his eye - despite wearing safety glasses - he no longer takes any risks hahah

Whats happening with the build mate.....???...Saw this on that other place.....:P

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=3412827#post3412827

check the link......I've seen this bike its amazeballs....

So it had totally stalled and nothing had been done for weeks but finally some progress! Few pix here: http://imgur.com/a/s0ta3
    Once the seat is done then the rest of the work can hopefully happen a lot more quickly!

Tell me to myob..but i think the seat looks more "streetfighter" than cafe...i see youre following the lines of the tank..but...
    Sorry for the crappy "paint"....:o

Is this a dead duck mate.......:o:confused:

Anyways..if yer interested
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/cafe-racer-night-friday-23rd-september/11943632

Hahah not quite. Finally got the bike back from my mate who was welding it. It took forever but done now, the seat is on and its ready for the rest of the build. Next week starting again on all the other bits! So much to do, going to take a while more yet!

I really want to go to that cafe racer night but I always seem to be busy when its on - but I think I'll try to go tomrrorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Starting a racer project in the next few weeks a cb750 and wondered did ya ever finish this?
    Also any tips or advise you could impart would be great! i haven't started shopping for parts at all really but checking out seats, exhausts and lighting on eBay,

I've done literally nothing in the last 6 months but getting back on it very soon so I'll keep you updated. I have a few issues I'm just not sure how to fix but I need to just jump in and get working on it!

My advice is to keep at it and pull in all the help you can get!

I've done literally nothing in the last 6 months but getting back on it very soon so I'll keep you updated. I have a few issues I'm just not sure how to fix but I need to just jump in and get working on it!

My advice is to keep at it and pull in all the help you can get!

What you stuck on mate ..here to help..

• Advertisement

Cheers max. Basically I put on cafe racer bars - they fit fine and look great, however what I did not know is BMW bars are very lightly smaller than normal motorbike bars. So when I put the controls back on it was a very tight squeeze - the left side went on ok with some whacks of a rubber hammer, but the right hand side would not go on so easy and basically I broke the whole throttle assembly. Replacements are expensive and very hard to come by and not sure if I can use something else. Any suggestions?

That's weird mate...thought only Harleys had different bars.....what bars did you fit..we're they powdercoated maybe..?

No it's just that bmw bars of that ira were very slightly smaller - 22mm - whereas the standard size is 22.5mm or 7/8th inch. These are the bars I have: https://caferacerseats.co.uk/products/104-adjustable-clip-on-handlebar

So not sure if I can just put a different set of controls on there - throttle and brake - or repair the existing one - but then I have the same problem and I need to skim/sand down the bar to get the controls on again.

If you're saying that the bm bars are 22 and every other ones are 22.5 then you could fit any controls....if you're keeping it simple there's plenty of single cable throttles out there,I got mine on ebay....

So we started working on the bike again last night did a few small things and looked at the throttle. It's only one part that is broken and I think I've found a replacement online. So what I hope to do is sand the bar down 0.5mm so it will fit properly.
    Have made big list of things to be done - and its Long! Need to order some parts and get to work. I want to get the main things done to get it running and then work on cosmetics. The electrics is a big job I'm not looking forward to. Also have to extend the battery terminals as the battery is now mounted under the seat. Anyone know where I can get battery leads made up?

Get some cheapo jump cables and these..or similar...http://www.ebay.ie/itm/10-x-Crimp-or-Solder-Battery-Lug-Terminals-for-a-16mm-Cable-with-8mm-Bolt-Hole-/252283912779?hash=item3abd4b024b:g:ZxIAAOSwSypY8ks4
    Would it not be easier to pare down the throttle rather than the bar..?..will the tube fit over the bar..?

Thanks Max, good idea. If I cant find jump leads can I get the wire cut to length in halfords etc?

On the throttle issue, I was told that brake and throttle parts are fairly universal and swapable between bikes - I did not know this. Maybe I can find something second hand that would be the correct fit?

Where are you based mate.....?

PM Sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Just read this thread, looking forward to seeing this progress :)

Advertisement