Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

pixelburp wrote: »
    Easy to win an argument when you just invent things I said *shrug* We'll leave it at that so, cos the irony is neither of us think Dark Fate will be any good.

I invented nothing, your highlighted quotes above speak volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The Terminator series always had a great female lead with Linda Hamilton's portrayal of Sarah Conor and fans were/are excited by her return.

Dismissing the reaction to the lack lustre trailer as misogyny is just lazy. As is dismissing the movie entirely based on the trailer I guess.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The fact that Arnold is in the trailer means they have to jump through some big loops to justify why he's in it, loops that will be unbelievable.

The beauty of the first two films is that they are very believable, once you get over that time travel can happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The fact that Arnold is in the trailer means they have to jump through some big loops to justify why he's in it, loops that will be unbelievable.

The beauty of the first two films is that they are very believable, once you get over that time travel can happen.

The excuse in Genisys was thin enough as it was, the franchises strength does not include its internal time travel logic. Arnie is still a big draw in international markets, it's probably why Genisys did so well outside Western countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,814 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Oh my god will ye PM one another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The excuse in Genisys was thin enough as it was, the franchises strength does not include its internal time travel logic. Arnie is still a big draw in international markets, it's probably why Genisys did so well outside Western countries.

His appearance in T2 was thin enough, everything after that is nano thin!

Him being in any Terminator film now, even if he is a big draw outside the US, just means the story is going to be silly.

The trade off of having him in it financially versus the draw back of having him in for the quality of the film is killing what ever's left of the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Perhaps we should be hoping this will be as bad as it looks just so the franchise can be killed for 50 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CatFromHue wrote: »
    His appearance in T2 was thin enough, everything after that is nano thin!

Him being in any Terminator film now, even if he is a big draw outside the US, just means the story is going to be silly.

The trade off of having him in it financially versus the draw back of having him in for the quality of the film is killing what ever's left of the franchise.

One presume the franchise will be retired once Arnie shuffles off into the great gym in the sky; given we're 6 movies in and the franchise can't let go of his presence, for aforementioned box office reasons, you'd imagine it'll finally be put in IP storage after that point. Then again, by the time that happens, CGI will probably be good enough to have Prime Arnie chase whoever in Terminator 7: Shanghai Noon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

py2006 wrote: »
    The Terminator series always had a great female lead with Linda Hamilton's portrayal of Sarah Conor and fans were/are excited by her return.

Dismissing the reaction to the lack lustre trailer as misogyny is just lazy. As is dismissing the movie entirely based on the trailer I guess.:)

There's a big difference between having a woman in the film's leading cast, and having three women leading it.

On the biggest Terminator board I'm aware of, the moderators - moderators, note - had absolute meltdowns over an early poster for that reason explicitly, having outright stated they could not "buy" the idea of having women be leaders in a combat situation. They sincerely consider John to be the hero of the franchise and spoilers about his role in this one sent them off a cliff. They argued they could accept the new female lead only if they are destined to marry John or have his kids. That's not me projecting or interpreting, they were quite open about that early on and began banning users for challenging that point of view as it was a matter of "religious belief" for them.

So sure they could like Sarah Connor... so long as she's always standing next to John or Kyle.

And again, while these are a minority, they're not on the fringe somewhere, it's impossible to miss if you've been following the movie online. That's a board with several thousand members who set the tone for all the youtube and fansite takes, so having that angle curated and enforced is quite visible.

Like the trailer or not - there are plenty of legit concerns, the CGI was weirdly awful and the truck chase is a little too cute an homage imho - but that's what Miller is clearly addressing. It's fairly disingenuous to pretend he's pulling it out of thin air when noisy grifters like Hanrahan have been weighing in and supposed "news outlets" are flipping their lid over Mackenzie Davis not having "a woman's body".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Those moderators of that board sound like they need to get out more.

I was thinking last night about the terminator franchise of movies, and I was asking myself if I was given the chance to change anything about the franchise what would I change of the previous five movies.

I said if I was given He chance I'd keep 1 and 2 as is because why mess with more of less perfection. The third film I liked because while I didn't like the actor who played John Connor, I felt it gave us a good glimpse of the future war we heard about in the first two films. I'd combine the last two films and make one good film building on what happened in the third film. And I wouldn't have bothered making this current film.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I was thinking last night about the terminator franchise of movies, and I was asking myself if I was given the chance to change anything about the franchise what would I change of the previous five movies.

I said if I was given He chance I'd keep 1 and 2 as is because why mess with more of less perfection. The third film I liked because while I didn't like the actor who played John Connor, I felt it gave us a good glimpse of the future war we heard about in the first two films. I'd combine the last two films and make one good film building on what happened in the third film. And I wouldn't have bothered making this current film.

I've just never found the future war interesting. Human guerillas and robot hordes clobber each other, how much mileage can you get out of it without basically Twitch streaming MGS4?

The appeal of Terminator for me is injecting chunks of that war into the pop culture times and places I recognise, I don't think you can ever make a full movie out of it because what makes sense for five minutes at a time very rapidly falls apart when you try to sustain it for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭conorhal

Itssoeasy wrote: »

You know what might have been interesting, if they'd used the Universal Studios T2 ride as the basis for a third chapter. James Cameron's films are more ride attractions then films anyway.
    They do an inverse of the original, instead of a saviour travelling from the future to save humanity the time travel mcguffin is that John Conner travels to the future to destroy Skynet. Kind of a Back to the Future 2 of Terminator movies.

The franchise has increasingly felt like they keep missing one golden opportunity (IMO) for interesting sequels; to actually use the "time travel" part of the whole series and stop setting it in relative modern times. There'd be an obvious ramp up in tension if (say) the Terminator was sent back to kill Sarah Connor's own relatives, pre the modern era.

For instance: sergeant John Connor, trapped behind enemy lines during the Battle of the Bulge, has to contend with winter, German troops surrounding his batallion, dwindling resources and some unknown monster stalking them throughout. It wouldn't be expensive, the tension and stakes are multiple and there's no easy solution (the finale can be a terminator vs. a Tiger tank via an uneasy alliance). Edit: the Tiger commander is played by ... well, guess ;)

Boom. Instead we get constant retreads, updated for weak topicality (Skynet is a mobile app! Ooooooh!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

The franchise has increasingly felt like they keep missing one golden opportunity (IMO) for interesting sequels; to actually use the "time travel" part of the whole series and stop setting it in relative modern times. There'd be an obvious ramp up in tension if (say) the Terminator was sent back to kill Sarah Connor's own relatives, pre the modern era.

For instance: sergeant John Connor, trapped behind enemy lines during the Battle of the Bulge, has to contend with winter, German troops surrounding his batallion, dwindling resources and some unknown monster stalking them throughout. It wouldn't be expensive, the tension and stakes are multiple and there's no easy solution (the finale can be a terminator vs. a Tiger tank via an uneasy alliance). Edit: the Tiger commander is played by ... well, guess ;)

Boom. Instead we get constant retreads, updated for weak topicality (Skynet is a mobile app! Ooooooh!)

Tiger tank vs Terminator?

VariableMessyAcouchi-max-1mb.gif

Thats how you knock off them negative waves! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought he died of an overdose a few years ago.

I quick google search tells me it was the kid from The Client Brad Renfro who died.

Furlong was on the same path.

It didn't go well for Jake Lloyd either

Very sad what drugs and early fame did to them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

OU812 wrote: »

Easy Money! :)

Not sure if good or bad but there is no way Furlong has any meaningful or prominent role. He has a lot of his own troubles sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not sure if good or bad but there is no way Furlong has any meaningful or prominent role. He has a lot of his own troubles sadly.

It will be the briefest of brief cameos.

Cameron is trying to play on the nostalgia aspect here.

• Advertisement

I've just presumed the young girl is John Connor's daughter; maybe illegitimate and why granny plays catch up, but Furlong can be offed as the inciting incident, last words being the dramatic "Run!", cue first set piece before granny + hybrid hero saves the day.

New video

What is with the Avenger style jumping the 'Rev 9' and 'Grace' partake in?

Sigh. Still not winning me over.

Dunno, quite liked that. The fighting has much more of a sense of impact and weight than in the previous trailer, and the signature theme makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

OU812 wrote: »

Wonder if they have any press shots of him , pictures online don't do him much justice.

I am just curious how he has aged.

https://twitter.com/CinemaBlend/status/1151921219861659649?s=19

This made me giggle lol, the fact that it's R rated has me more interested in it.

heh :)

I know now why you F-Bomb! But it's something I can never do :D

Theme Tune!

PLUS... PLUS WTF WAS THAT TERMINATOR? LIKE A TERMINATOR DOG?

I will part money for this film. Sold on seeing _AT LEAST_ the plane scene on the big screen.

I dont know if its CGI but Arnie for his age looks very well. Old man terminator an his robotic dog.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I dont know if its CGI but Arnie for his age looks very well. Old man terminator an his robotic dog.

He looks great, the silver fox look suits him much better than pretending to be younger than he is!

Loving the new, quite Logan-y Sarah Connor too.

• Advertisement

He looks great, the silver fox look suits him much better than pretending to be younger than he is!

Loving the new, quite Logan-y Sarah Connor too.

This has to be her swan song and she has earned it. All the good terminators had her in it, of all the stuff about strong female action leads she was the first one i was introduced to.

Advertisement