Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

Is this out Friday? I wanted to book tickets to my local cinema (IMC) but it's not listed anywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

sonic85 wrote: »
    Is this out Friday? I wanted to book tickets to my local cinema (IMC) but it's not listed anywhere

Its out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's out tomorrow, films sometimes release a little earlier in the week right before a Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Genysis wasn't that bad as people say.
    Of course it was a terrible terminator sequel that made you shake your head. But it's not like it forces you to switch it off level of bad.

Dark Fate really is a bold move isn't it. Like genysis "rebooted" the series and told the rest of the series to piss off. Now Dark Fate is doing the same. Even has Arnold.
    But the producers couldn't give it an extra 5 years just to let things die down a bit. Does Cameron get the rights next year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm seeing it tonight. My local Cineworld has closed their Starbucks which I'm annoyed about.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Of course it was a terrible terminator sequel that made you shake your head. But it's not like it forces you to switch it off level of bad.

Dark Fate really is a bold move isn't it. Like genysis "rebooted" the series and told the rest of the series to piss off. Now Dark Fate is doing the same. Even has Arnold.
    But the producers couldn't give it an extra 5 years just to let things die down a bit. Does Cameron get the rights next year?

Think he got some of them this year, and then in theory it reverts to him entirely next year? I think? He was reasonably involved in this through Skydance, working on the design of the new machine and revising scripts etc.

I think Gale Anne Hurd is also disputing the rights situation at the moment though, she gets some claim too as of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

It's not listed in my local IMC either even though they have a cardboard display stand of the movie in the lobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Phat Cat wrote: »
    It's not listed in my local IMC either even though they have a cardboard display stand of the movie in the lobby.
    If you are near an Odeon cinema then you could see it today for cheap as they have a bargain Wednesday every week. €6 for standard seats & €8 for Premiere seats with an additional €0.75 if you book online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Guy Person wrote: »
    If you are near an Odeon cinema then you could see it today for cheap as they have a bargain Wednesday every week. €6 for standard seats & €8 for Premiere seats with an additional €0.75 if you book online.

€17.25 for a midday showing on Friday!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

py2006 wrote: »
    That to me is absolutely bonkers money to pay for 1 ticket but as I said in my original post the bargain day is every Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Phat Cat wrote: »

Yeah it isnt listed on the IMC website for Santry either. Very odd. Was hoping to see it there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Guy Person wrote: »
    That to me is absolutely bonkers money to pay for 1 ticket but as I said in my original post the bargain day is every Wednesday.
    I remember going to Liffey Valley, getting tickets and food for the two of us, and getting next to no change from €50. Some places are mad money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ubald.stone

Don't know why but this does not attract me. and I'm a great Terminator fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got an email from the IMC in Santry to say they are not showing Terminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

IMC aren't showing it at all it seems. Strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't know why but this does not attract me. and I'm a great Terminator fan

The franchise turned to muck post-T2 is a pretty good reason. I've it on my unlimited card or I wouldn't bother.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Quite frankly, it was one of the worst films I've ever seen - absolute tripe with a script so bad it almost insults the audience.

Thats what they charge for the fake Imax screen in Parnell street.

Thats crazy pricing, do you get a free bowl of soup or something?

And i thought i was been robbed paying €11.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Well I'm just out of the film. Mackenzie was the highlight along with Arnie but I always knew she would be based on Black Mirror and BR2049. She did this in her sleep.

Ultimately however I found it to be another derivative entry. Sarah didn't work for me and Dani was basically an older version of John (the character that's meant to be the heart of the film).

I've seen the film is the latest to provoke endless YT videos ranting about misandry but there's nothing particularly offensive about it other than just being another waste of time.

Lomg story short it's utterly generic slightly propped up by two good performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heard it's actually a really good, grounded first 45 minutes or so but once Arnie shows up it loses it's way and gets ever more daft.

Here is an idea. If they want a reboot that works don't bring back any old characters at all.

Still looking forward to seeing it though.

First half is definitely better than the second, which is a shame. The opening was fantastic.

There's some EXTREMELY 90s action movie dialogue in parts, and one of the future war backstory bits doesn't work at all for what it needs to do. We would have been 100 per cent better off having Mackenzie Davis tell us that bit entirely, it would have been far easier to believe.

The CGI, while majorly improved from the trailers, is still weak, but when it and the real stuff works it works great - the first approaches in the factory and chase are far, far better than I thought from the trailers and I loved how they ended.

The crowd I was in absolutely loved Sarah. Grace was funnier than I expected. I really liked the creepy ultrabass musical cue associated with Rev 9.

It is unbelievably fast paced at times, which is good and bad. It does always feel like they can't afford to stand still, but the flipside is that I was really enjoying how the characters fit together and would have loved more time and space for it. I liked Grace and Sarah's slightly prickly relationship, it made sense to me. I warmed to Dani a little more than I expected early on, she didn't leave a huge impression later.

Had a really great time. Not on par with T2, obviously but leagues ahead of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of it all about an hour in.

Save your money. This franchise is truly terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Corvo wrote: »
    Burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of it all about an hour in.

Save your money. This franchise is truly terminated.

I agree.....complete tripe that doesn't feel like a Terminator movie. Urgh...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. Saw it in the IMAX. Really enjoyed it.

From previous discussions about the rating, this would be more similar level to Terminator 2 (
    arm rip
    ) than Terminator 1 (
    cutting own eyeball out
    :eek:).

John
    getting killed threw me. I'm glad they put it right at the start cos the computer generated effects had me feeling the uncanny valley effect. I got over that because of the intro terminator/grace scenes
    Sarah
    dealing with the loss felt like a real gut punch in places. The biggest seemed to be when they had gotten to Arnies place and she was sitting there on the tree. Like it made sense where they went with it but damn, the injustice after going through everything in T2.
    The Gabriel Luna Terminator
    and particularly Legion. Many questions. I wonder do they have an idea for something in depth. Man, that reminder about bullet proof vests not being stab proof. Could the Gardai with their stab proof vests last longer?!
    The Arnie Terminator
    felt like they were developing on the idea from T2.
    Grace did great. Cool to see internal-Augments fighters showing up in a big budget film.
    Dani.
    Yep. Easily flagged that she wasn't gonna be the next mother. Maybe it'll take some people in. I liked how she just went for it. Some damn leadership from a resistence leader. Very needed.

Some nods to past films that I liked.
    The music from the bar at the start of T2, The jeep ending like T1, of course the down-to-business starting nod to the interview with Sarah from T2. There's probably a bunch more.

Tim Miller certainly knows how to do an action scene. I get the feeling he can just soak up budget in his films. The more money you give, he'll probably just keep making more use of it.

For the future. Well..
    they T1 ended it.. so I bet they've an idea traced out but it'll be down to how well the film does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »
    Some nods to past films that I liked.
    There's probably a bunch more.
    For the future. Well..
    they T1 ended it.. so I bet they've an idea traced out but it'll be down to how well the film does.

Oh yeah! OH YEAH!

Like the
    No Fate line! The no Fate line.. like where'd she get that? She get that from Sarah? How'd she or Dani meet Sarah before this? From Alternative universe John maybe? Is this all a long game by John?

I really enjoyed this. It's basically
    Star Wars Episode VII for the Terminator franchise
    but neither terrible nor boring.

Right away,
    John Connor is killed off.
    I didn't see that coming at all. However, the same formula of a lone warrior from the future dispatched to see of the threat of a Terminator is employed yet again. That said, even though it's quite derivative, it stands head and shoulders above T3, Salvation, Genisys and that dire TV series.

The tone for the first half is perfectly forboding and threatening with no humour to spoil it. When Arnie appears, things get less coherent and I found my attention waning. The jokes of the second act were fine but I'd have preferred it if they were omitted for DVD extras or something similar.

I'm not sure if there are sequels lined up but this soft reboot means the series is in a much better position now that the dross has been discarded from the timeline. It's not T2 but it's still quite enjoyable and Dani Ramos is heck of a lot more likeable than John Connor ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I went and seen this this evening. Have to say I enjoyed it. Only just made it in time as Odeon had the wrong time up online again and it started 15 minutes early. Lucky I was early ehh.
    Anyway compared to Salvation which was rubbish this was way better and its better than Genisys too but I also liked Genisys too. Yes it had its problems but it was a fun film and much better than Salvation and this is better again so it is going the right way.

I thought it took a little while to get going but then it just takes off and there is some really cool scenes in it. This is a film you go to to enjoy on the big screen for the action and effects and I certainly did but it also has quite a complicated story too. Actually it probably has the best story of any terminator film. Sure the acting is not going to win any awards but its not the worst either and not what a film like this is about. There was quiet a good crowd in the cinema too.
    I actually hope it does well and gets a sequel.
    I would go watch it again and would give it 7 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement