Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It's not awful! And for a Terminator sequel that's a very pleasant surprise.

Some, maybe even most, of the action set pieces were OTT and/or derivative but they weren't boring and got over and done with quick enough.

Actually enjoyed most of the character stuff and how they tied it together with the previous two films without any lengthy exposition.

Thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭RickBlaine

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing reviews from the usual US based Youtubers but then I realized this movie isn't released in USA until next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Saw it today, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm a big Terminator fan. Saw T2 in Savoy 1 on it's original release in 1991. I remember the big advertising posters dotted around the city with Arnie on the harley. Amasing movie. Like most, I've been pretty disappointed with all that followed so I didn't hold up much hope for this outing. But I went in with an open mind when I went to see it last Friday evening.

Loved it. Great action sequences, nice references back to T2 and the original timeline. Mackensie what's her face was great, Linda Hamilton was great, even Arnie was good and didn't ham it up too much. Yes the story is a bit thin, but hey compare this to the likes of the last Mad Max movie, and they're pretty comparable i.e. one big chase movie.

Solid 7/10 from me. Looking forward to watching it again when it gets released to Blu Ray etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

There was one scene that made my cringe watching it and I actually turned my eyes away from the screen for a few secs.

Arnie
    floating along on the plane and tossing a gun to Sarah
    ... sheeesh!

It actually reminded me of this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Question in regards to the time travel; can anyone explain how the loop applies only up to a certain point, only for "free will" to intervene? To be fair this applies to T2 as much as this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just seen the film there and it really was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, it is decent in fact but is in no way a classic people will talk about in the years to come, some scenes were too dark and a little dodgy cgi in parts but most of it was done well especially the opening few scenes. There was one or two slightly politically sided pieces of dialog but it was easily ignored so if you are on the fence and dont want to see something preachy then I can at least say the film does not hit you over the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Crap....as a Terminator film, which TBF, is a franchise more outweighed with poor as opposed to good entries at this point, so maybe crap isnt the right word.

If it existed on its own, it might be a somewhat middling 2 hours with a bit more ability to standalone, but obviously that's an impossible impression.

Overall....one to miss at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

McDermotX wrote: »

Overall....one to miss at the cinema.

We all really enjoyed it. I thought it was very good.

I saw it at cineworld and during the opening beach scene I noticed the frame rate seemed to be running higher than 24fps, more like 30fps. Had anyone else noticed that it felt too smooth in some scenes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Terrible film. Too busy shoving feminism down our throats. They actually have Sarah say that she was only a womb for the person that really mattered, John Connor. Oh please. Sarah Connor was a bad ass. And she was a loving mother.
    It is OK to be a mother, Hollywood.

Also, if Skynet never existed, why is Arnie still around? Shouldn't he have just disappeared into thin air?

sirmanga wrote: »
    Terrible film. Too busy shoving feminism down our throats. They actually have Sarah say that she was only a womb for the person that really mattered, John Connor. Oh please. Sarah Connor was a bad ass. And she was a loving mother.

Also, if Skynet never existed, why is Arnie still around? Shouldn't he have just disappeared into thin air?

You are right, They seem to forget that in the first film Kyle says Sarah teaches John how to survive against the machines.

I found a clip, at around 3:14 in Reese says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Question in regards to the time travel; can anyone explain how the loop applies only up to a certain point, only for "free will" to intervene? To be fair this applies to T2 as much as this film.
    In terms of this film, it doesn't, necessarily - Dani sets off at the end to *try* and pull a T2 and save Grace - knowing from Sarah that it's sort-of possible - but we don't know if she'll be successful. It could well be unalterably self fulfilling.

What we see in this movie is entirely contained within a Kyle/John style bootstrap loop - Grace dies saving Dani, which sets Dani up to be the leader who will inspire Grace, who will then go back in time to die saving Dani.

The moment Future!Dani hears Grace's name when she finds her as a kid she recognises her, she knows exactly who she is and what she's going to grow up to do. This whole scene is acted and written terribly, but they do actually telegraph that, it's why Dani pulls down her hood to see her face when she hears her name. She remembers the events of the movie.

This is also why Grace uses the term Terminator - she learned it from Dani, who would have learned it from Sarah - if she hadn't already learned it from Grace by then.

So the question of Free Will only really applies to T2.

The way I look at it is that these movies are causality from Sarah Connor's perspective only. Stuff can intrude on her present from futures she hasn't yet nullified, but her own lived past can't be changed, because she's already lived it. She has some free will made possible through foreknowledge of the future, but we've no evidence anybody else does.

You are right, They seem to forget that in the first film Kyle says Sarah teaches John how to survive against the machines.

They haven't forgotten it, it's the whole foundation of the ending.

Sarah is more than a little loopy by now given her experiences. Her perspective on herself at this point is not the movie's perspective on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Terrible film. Too busy shoving feminism down our throats. [...]

You mean it's ok to be a mother but not the leader of a resistance movement

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

It's not back to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think ill keep my money , i dont want to encourage them :pac:

critical drinker review

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

silverharp wrote: »
    I think ill keep my money , i dont want to encourage them :pac:

critical drinker review

Aye.....it's pretty bad. Very much spoilerish that vid, but touches on most of the problems with it.

Best thing to happen would be for it to be another flop on their hands before they get any ideas about a follow-up.

Why couldn't we have just gotten a continuation of the Sarah Connor/John Connor storyline? They went on about this being a direct sequel to T2. Those are two beloved characters. Instead they replaced John with an illegal immigrant Mexican woman. Give me a break. Its so 2019 and "woke" that it seems like a parody.

This was advertised as the real sequel to T2. Ignoring all those rubbish sequels that came after. But just like last year's Halloween, which promoted itself along the same lines, Terminator Dark Fate is just as clunky and ridiculous as all the sequels which it disrespected with its dismissive attitude.
    Let's face it, the Terminator saga ended with T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Seen it last night, absolutely brilliant. Miles better than a last 3 films. The whole cast did a very good job and Grace was brilliant. The action was excellent and they have made a smart move with the story. Great to see Sarah Conor back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Let's face it, the Terminator saga ended with T2.

T2 is the best action film ever made but it's ending made it impossible to continue with a Sarah/John story so moving away from that was the only sensible option

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

Overall much better than any Terminator film post T2 but that isn't exactly a high bar to start with. The first half hour is absolutely fantastic a real throw back to past glories (but in a good way) unfortunately it never reaches those highs again save a scene or two. Still it's a decent film and worth a watch.

No, I just think it's an outrageously stupid film. I mean, Legion or whatever it's called, developed the exact same tech as Skynet, including Terminators and big electrical ball time travel. What are the chance eh?

The film might have been a minor classic if it had focused on Arnie's character. Show him in a world where he has no purpose. Slowly learning, almost falling in love. Realising what he did and his past catching up with him. It could have been a nice toned down movie. When Arnie appeared in the movie I began to think "I would much rather see a movie about this guy than the one I'm watching."

But instead we got a messy, girl power action film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Greyfox wrote: »
    Seen it last night, absolutely brilliant. Miles better than a last 3 films. The whole cast did a very good job and Grace was brilliant. The action was excellent and they have made a smart move with the story. Great to see Sarah Conor back.

I would tend to agree, hated the previous two films but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I found it incredibly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Recycled garbage that dumped all over the old classic movies.
    John Connor killed at the start? Nice way to $hit all over the originals.
    This stank of all the Kylo Ren bull$hit "Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to"

Ahnuld living in the woods?
    Is this the same guy who said "I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do."

Garbage.

It's not back to the future

What? Skynet never existed. So Arnie should never have been around in the movie to do what he did at the beginning of the movie. Also, if you overlook that aspect, after he did what he did, his mission was over so he should have self terminated.

What? Skynet never existed. So Arnie should never have been around in the movie to do what he did at the beginning of the movie. Also, if you overlook that aspect, after he did what he did, his mission was over so he should have self terminated.

....Both your issues here are actually with T2.

i) Skynet never existed, so Arnie should never exist. Also, Kyle should never have been sent back. So John should never have been born. Etc etc

ii) "I cannot self terminate"

....Both your issues here are actually with T2.

i) Skynet never existed, so Arnie should never exist. Also, Kyle should never have been sent back. So John should never have been born. Etc etc

ii) "I cannot self terminate"

No, T2 is a perfect film. It's this rubbish film that makes no sense. How does Legion create the exact same tech as Skynet? Why is Arnie still around? These are questions this film nerds to answer, not T2.

Also, what was the point of the female half machine thing (can't remember her name, forgettable character, uninspiring actress) having all of these fainting spells and needing medication? What did that add to the story? Surely it couldn't have been so we have that scene in the pharmacy when they show a lingering, in focus shot of a big shelf of tampons? Then again...

• Advertisement

No, T2 is a perfect film. It's this rubbish film that makes no sense. How does Legion create the exact same tech as Skynet? Why is Arnie still around? These are questions this film nerds to answer, not T2.

I literally just told you how Arnie is still around. Because Dark Fate has to abide by the rules established in T2 (and T1).

Similarly it runs with the idea T2 lays out, that it's in our nature to go this way. The technology isn't exactly the same, though it's similar. There's a plot reason why the humans use the same language for it that's clear by the end of the movie.

If you don't like the T2 time travel rules Idk what to tell you.

Advertisement