Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental - Road trip - SF -> LA -> LV

Options
  • 22-03-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Really appreciate some advice on this ...

Myself and my girlfriend are travelling to the US and intending on driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles and then to Las Vegas.

My questions are;

1. Can you recommend a car hire company that will accept Visa Debit... We would like to hire something along the lines of a convertible mustang

2. Where is good to stop for the night between SF & LA ... we will be taking route 1

Any advice is really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Can't help you on the car hire, I'm some company will do it but in all honesty, it's just easier to get a credit card rather than have a massive hold on your current account.

If you're taking the 1 down to LA then Monterey or Big Sur are nice. Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo are nice too. Depends if you're just doing one overnight or a two.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

Hoping to do SF to LA with 1 overnight stop in between. I dont have a credit card and have no desire to get one! so just going to try use debit card only and put up with whatever hold they put on funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I'd second Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Stayed in both overnight doing the same drive. I enjoyed Monterey, we took a trip to Laguna Seca racetrack while there as well. San Luis Obispo is probably more centrally located between SF and LA though if you're only staying one night along the route. Re the car hire, i'm no help, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I agree with getting a credit card.

Also rental companies will add an additional charge if you're going to drop the car off in a different state so check on that too. Between California and Nevada may be okay but it may depend on companies.

We stayed in Carmel, it's beside Monterey. Lovely little town, fab beach & one great little bar in it!

• Advertisement

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Hoping to do SF to LA with 1 overnight stop in between. I dont have a credit card and have no desire to get one! so just going to try use debit card only and put up with whatever hold they put on funds.

In the summer months there's going to be fog. Its mostly in the mornings and burns off during the day.

For that reason I;d say stay in San Louis Obispo or Morro Bay, south of big sur, that way you should be on the most spectacular stretch of road in the afternoon, less chance of it being foggy.

If you're doing it after September, fog isnt so prevelant so id pick Monterey, that way you can get an early start on highway one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fabulous drive, we did exactly what you plan to do about 6 years ago. Route 1 is stunning. We drove into Las Vegas in the dark, so the impact was amazing.

Monterey and Carmel come to mind as nice places to stop off on Route 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Just did the trip a few days ago. I stayed in templeton and santa barbara. Both good places. I visited and would like to have stayed in Carmel. I visited and wouldn't stay in big sur (not much there but a great drive) nor solvang (tacky).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We stayed in Monteray, San Luis Obispo & Santa Barbara. Liked all three places but Monteray was my least favourite.

The Monterey area covers a lot.

Pebble Beach is one of the most expensive areas in the entire USA, 17 Mile Drive is a popular scenic drive. Carmel is a pretty quaint seaside village, Pacific grove is more middle income. Then there's the lower income area around the military base. and then the race rack at Laguna Seca. Every August there's one of the largest Classic Car racing events in the world held there.

In addition to the town of Monterey, with cannery row and the aquarium.

• Advertisement
Advertisement