Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The smiths

• 22-03-2016 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,818 ✭✭✭✭

Will they follow the guns n roses model and eventually reform or is the hatred between each other too much ?

Morrissey has struggled with health issues in the past but is getting better and his recent solo stuff was not that great and the exposure of a Smith's reunion tour would make him relavent again plus the $$$$$ him and the band would make

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A thread about them in the Rock and Metal forum?? Mods, please move to, errrrrr, i have no idea, how about the depression forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

There is already a thread similar to this in the music forum.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    A thread about them in the Rock and Metal forum?? Mods, please move to, errrrrr, i have no idea, how about the depression forum?
    Where do I create a thread on depressive suicidal black metal? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will they follow the guns n roses model and eventually reform or is the hatred between each other too much ?

Morrissey has struggled with health issues in the past but is getting better and his recent solo stuff was not that great and the exposure of a Smith's reunion tour would make him relavent again plus the $$$$$ him and the band would make

Great band.

I can see how you could draw parallels with GNR alright; both lead singers are knobheads and their guitarists are though to be sound in the public eye. I don't honestly know... I'd say the major thing stopping it is Morrissey himself. TBH I can never see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The problem was never really between Morrissey and Johnny. The problem was between Morissey and Mike Joyce. Check out the court case to see why the reunion probably won't happen ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The problem was never really between Morrissey and Johnny. The problem was between Morissey and Mike Joyce. Check out the court case to see why the reunion probably won't happen ever.
    Joyce and Rourke got feck all royalties, I doubt that both of them would be up for a reunion. Would love to borrow a time machine and see them in their prime but a reunion seems unnecessary to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Joyce and Rourke got feck all royalties, I doubt that both of them would be up for a reunion. Would love to borrow a time machine and see them in their prime but a reunion seems unnecessary to me.

TBH the lads were right.

They got ****ed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Aye as far as I remember, of the bands royalties the two lads only got 10% each, with the remaining 80% split between Marr and Morrissey. That's unbelievably unfair, regardless of the writing credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Not that unfair or uncommon. Take Nirvana for instance, Kurt had sole writing credit on all but a handful of songs. Some songs like, Teen Spirit, had Novoselic and Grohl as co writers, but even there Cobain got 75% of royalties. With all the others that were in his own name he got 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I thought they took Morrissey to court and won a bigger share. Anyway they would jump at the chance. It's Morrissey who won't do it. He took Marr leaving (though Johnny says he just wanted a break) really badly, almost like a breakup with a romantic partner (not suggesting that this was the case btw), and he will never forgive the other lads for suing him.

Plus Morrissey doesn't need the money at all. You are the Quarry sold really well back when CDs were still popular and Ringleader of the Tormentors was number 1 in the UK. He has no problem selling tickets and is still big in the US, and in Central and South America, Japan, other EU countries. He gets abuse from the UK press but he's rolling in it and he's not going to go do any reunion just cause of his health, he'd sooner die than let the other lads play with him again is how I interpret it from his autobiography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, Mike Joyce is already booked: he just started D.A.R.K. with Dolores O'Riordan, the former Cranberry and airline passenger from Hell. You can even go and see them in May, they're playing Whelan's in Dublin on the 16th. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
Advertisement