Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top soil

Options
  • 22-03-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

hi Guys

I am going planting a mixture of flowers in a 1m x 15m kerbing just inside my wall. I was going to plant roses but now my wife thinks a mixture might be better

Is there any advice you can give me with regard to what flowers i can mix ? can i plant two rose bushes and then other flowers too ?

Any suggestion on good top soil and compost to buy also ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

hi Guys

I am going planting a mixture of flowers in a 1m x 15m kerbing just inside my wall. I was going to plant roses but now my wife thinks a mixture might be better

Is there any advice you can give me with regard to what flowers i can mix ? can i plant two rose bushes and then other flowers too ?

Any suggestion on good top soil and compost to buy also ?

Thanks

Such a small border you'd be better to buy some bags of clean topsoil and compost in your local garden centre. There's no rule to say one cannot plant a mixed border, in fact it is a very popular choice, one needs to select the companion plants carefully so as not to encroach on the rose bushes. An alternative to rose bushes is of course rose standards and one could do a very nice formal/informal display with a mix of low growing shrubs & herbaceous perennials with vertical interest provided by eg 3 rose standards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

25kg bags of top soil going on sale in Lidl or aldi on monday. Less then 4 euro I think

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Such a small border you'd be better to buy some bags of clean topsoil and compost in your local garden centre. There's no rule to say one cannot plant a mixed border, in fact it is a very popular choice, one needs to select the companion plants carefully so as not to encroach on the rose bushes. An alternative to rose bushes is of course rose standards and one could do a very nice formal/informal display with a mix of low growing shrubs & herbaceous perennials with vertical interest provided by eg 3 rose standards. :)
    Absolutely. Check height, width and flowering months for any plants you're thinking of so you can try and get flowers there for as long as possible.
    I would always go for perennials/shrubs over annuals (annuals only last one year and then die so you have to keep buying more each year. Perennials will die down temporarily in winter and grow back in the spring. The labels on the plants will tell you which they are)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

cena wrote: »
    25kg bags of top soil going on sale in Lidl or aldi on monday. Less then 4 euro I think

thanks for this

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

gone very complicated there now :-). I like the look of the rose standards , thanks for that idea. So i could have 3 of those and then a mixture of shrubs in between ?

There is already soil there, its just poor on top with some weeds and moss - i presume i just need to use a garden fork to mix the soil, remove the weeds and fill in with top soil / compost ?

its actually 4 foot wide by 44 feet long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Applepie15

Sorry to hijack your post.

I have a few ton of topsoil dug from my back garden as I'm redeveloping it and would like to pass it on to people who might make use of it rather than skip it.

If interested let me know.

Advertisement