Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Cork Harbour Marathon

Options
  • 22-03-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I came across this on facebook, 10k, half & full on the 20th August 2016. Anyone familiar with the routes?

http://eastcorkmarathon.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Oh, interesting!! I'd like to hear more about this alright, especially the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brenmur

I saw this event on the cork athletics site and was wondering about it. Just looking at the elevation profile and based on the profile of the climb out of Saleen in mile 2 to 3 which is the only hill I can judge it off, I'd say this is a tough (non pb??) course for the full. Still might be a very enjoyable route and for me is fairly local which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

2018 edition on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Challenging run for sure! Of course the fact that I hadn't done any long runs for ~two months didn't help :o The 2nd half of the marathon seemed to just be an endless hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Ran in the half today and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the very wet conditions.

It has to be one of the more challenging courses I have run this year with all those hills! Fortunately the second half of the race is down hill/undulating so I could relax and enjoy it more towards the end.

The support from marshals and volunteers was second to none. It is a pity that the weather dampened the festivities afterwards but the organisation and support of the local community makes this a run I will definitely put on my running calendar for next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

Ran the full Marathon on Saturday. Definitely a challenging course. The damp weather was much appreciated. Did not know much about the course before running it and I was glad I did not as I would have gone home lol. The first half was okay but from mile 16 to 22 was hill after hill. Even the down hills were hard as I found it hard to control my running/falling. Those hills sucked the life out of me (from Kildare not many hills in Kildare) and was fairly tired by last mile or two. Not a pb course. Organisation and facilities was good and enjoyed the race and challenge. Good training for dingle in 3 weeks.(what was I thinking).

Did my first half marathon here last Saturday. Lovely day for running temperature wise. Hills were tough but doable. Well organised the weather probably killed any post race buzz as people wanted to get out of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Just bumping this thread for the 2019 event as it is just over 3 weeks away on Saturday 10th August.

It will be my first half this year so really looking forward to the race and spread afterwards.

If you haven't entered don't delay as places are filling up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Going to log on there for the 10km race as I see only 100 places left. Great spread afterwards lets hope they get the weather this year.

I'm in for the marathon, hopefully will have learned my lesson from last year about the hilly second half :)

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed the marathon at the w/end, weather turned out dry despite the forecast but there was a nasty headwind just when you didn't want it on the hilly parts. Amazing number of volunteers involved & quite the set up afterwards with a free bbq, highly recommended.

Results & pics are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Did the half on Saturday as a training run, knew from early on I wasn't on a PB. Tough course with the hills and headwinds but very well organised and glad the weather eased off from Friday. The goodie bag and food afterwards are as good as you get anywhere, the burgers were delicious. There was lots of entertainment and games for families. Would do this race again, need to improve my hill running first!

Yermander wrote: »
    Did the half on Saturday as a training run, knew from early on I wasn't on a PB. Tough course with the hills and headwinds but very well organised and glad the weather eased off from Friday. The goodie bag and food afterwards are as good as you get anywhere, the burgers were delicious. There was lots of entertainment and games for families. Would do this race again, need to improve my hill running first!

Was there meat in the burgers? Last year's tated vwey disgustingly vegan for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Was there meat in the burgers? Last year's tated vwey disgustingly vegan for my liking.
    Tasted like a big juicy beef burger to me...if that wasn't meat I might consider going vegan!

Advertisement