Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Post Box at the corner of Grafton St and Nassau St

Options
  • 22-03-2016 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

I spotted one of the old Post Boxes has been switched back to red from the more familiar green at the end of Grafton St.

What's going on? Did I miss a memo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

It's part of a heritage campaign by An Post.
    “We were thinking about what our post boxes would have witnessed in 1916, because so many of them are in the same position as they were during Easter Week, and in many cases the same box is there.”
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1916/heres-why-some-of-dublins-postboxes-turned-red-overnight-34558480.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I walked by another one of these on my way past Liberty Hall last night. I thought I might have accidentally stumbled onto another 1916 film set!

It's a nice idea from An Post. It's subtle and reminded me of Connolly's line about how any Rising would be pointless if all it achieved was replacing the British flag with the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Are these the boxes that still have 'ER' embedded on them !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

I walked by another one of these on my way past Liberty Hall last night. I thought I might have accidentally stumbled onto another 1916 film set!

It's a nice idea from An Post. It's subtle and reminded me of Connolly's line about how any Rising would be pointless if all it achieved was replacing the British flag with the Irish one.

I like it too, much better than posters or advertising boards. Actually gets people thinking about the rising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Are these the boxes that still have 'ER' embedded on them !!!

VR or GR more likely. Loads of them have the British marking still on them and are red inside. The majority of repaints that were done post 1916 didn't paint the inside. Lots have crowns on the front, it is really interesting to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Maybe the Brits have invaded secretly while we are without government. Oh well, at least 10 packs of smokes will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh well, at least 10 packs of smokes will be back.

For about 6 weeks, they're banning them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

VR or GR more likely. Loads of them have the British marking still on them and are red inside. The majority of repaints that were done post 1916 didn't paint the inside. Lots have crowns on the front, it is really interesting to see.

Ahh, I saw one with GR on it in Ranelagh this week and I wondered why it wasn't ER.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tampopo wrote: »
    Ahh, I saw one with GR on it in Ranelagh this week and I wondered why it wasn't ER.
    Those boxes are 100-200 years old, there was no Elizabeth Regina at those times, but there were a Victoria and a series of Georges.

• Advertisement

My point is that people are getting their knickers in a twist over the colour and neglecting the inscription.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Victor wrote: »
    Those boxes are 100-200 years old, there was no Elizabeth Regina at those times, but there were a Victoria and a series of Georges.
    There was a brief bit of Edward, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »

Edward after Victoria had some erected during his reign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wonder how much it cost them for this pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Something should be done about it! We've sat back and let it happen for too long! I say a bunch of us get together and march into wherever the head post office is, take it over, and proclaim some stuff about how we want things to be in the future. It may not work out straight away, but give it a few years and we might get our green post boxes back.

How does next Monday sound for a meet up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

FOI it, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Methinks, The Grouch should move over to commenting on the Journal. He'd be more at home moaning there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Painting a few post boxes?

Not that much I'd say.

Far far less than one single TV/print advertising campaign would cost them.

The Volunteers did it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well I believe there was a committee set up a year ago the discuss and implement the change using best international practices

During this time negotiations between the state and the UK went to the highest level and broke down numerous times over the shade of red and type of brush that was to be used on the project

When agreement was finally made in the early hours of the 24th January 2016 an exhausted official emerged from the negotiations waving a shade card with a large x marked on it

Final costs won't be announced until after the celebrations but it believed that they overran consderably from the original tender figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sure why bother with any of it? That parade they're having at the weekend will cost too much and people should be working.

Don't get me started on Christmas.

Advertisement