Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly rod for buzzer and dry fly

• 22-03-2016 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

I have 10ft 7/8 greys rod which has served me well, I'm looking for a second rod to cover both river fishing and lake fishing, I suppose a secondary rod in the boat set up for buzzers or dry fly to save time switching casts but also a rod I could use river fishing, I wouldn't be spending anymore than €150 or less if possible . Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

For rivers I'd go for a 10ft 4wt or 9ft 5wt but these wouldn't really be suitable for buzzer fishing.

I would keep using your greys rod and have a few different leader setups wrapped around some beer mats in you pocket.

When you want to change tactic, just snip off one leader and tie on your other premade leader.

You can have the flies already tied on to save even more time.

I have two rods for river fishing, a 9ft 5wt Greys GR50 for dry fly and duo fishing and a 10ft 3wt Greys XF2 Streamflex for European style nymphing.

I use a 9ft 6in 6wt Hardy Demon for most of my lake fishing but I use it on the rivers also for wet fly and streamer fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I have 10ft 7/8 greys rod which has served me well, I'm looking for a second rod to cover both river fishing and lake fishing, I suppose a secondary rod in the boat set up for buzzers or dry fly to save time switching casts but also a rod I could use river fishing, I wouldn't be spending anymore than €150 or less if possible . Does anyone have any recommendations?

For dry fly fishing I've a Sage Zxl 9' 4 weight great wee rod, I would'nt really use it for buzzer fishing, Meby have a look at the Shakepeare Range I have herd great things with the Agilty Fly rods For about 70e, Or try and a get a #5 9'6.. As Browntrout said keep the tippet around beer mats very handy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

For dry fly fishing I've a Sage Zxl 9' 4 weight great wee rod, I would'nt really use it for buzzer fishing, Meby have a look at the Shakepeare Range I have herd great things with the Agilty Fly rods For about 70e, Or try and a get a #5 9'6.. As Browntrout said keep the tippet around beer mats very handy...

have 2 top class have hardy demon 10 ft no difference one with dry buzzer one with buzzer nymps and one with balling buzzer ,Agilty hard working rod will take the work and trows a class line always use dtaper fly line if something happens it in the boat well 70e not hard to replace, if something happens the demon tears.GO for it and you will never spend big money on a rod again.

Advertisement