Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2016

• 22-03-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Following the success of last years Riverfest .. :rolleyes: .. and this years St. Patrick's Day parade ... :( ...

Does anybody know if Grooveyard have been awarded the contract to run this year's Riverfest? I don't know how a brand new company with no track record in event management is getting these contracts, but somebody has to shout stop. Limerick deserves much better.

I had thought The Limerick Marketing Company had been disbanded before Christmas, and these were the ones handing out the contracts for these events, so how come Grooveyard were running the show at last week's St. Patrick's Day parade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

They look to be a big company, i enjoyed Riverfest last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

ciog52 wrote: »
    They look to be a big company, i enjoyed Riverfest last year

Weren't they brought in to freshen up the event with new ideas? Seems to me they had just rehashed the old ideas last year and added maybe one or two things. I don't know if they have more planned for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

zulutango wrote: »
    I don't know how a brand new company with no track record in event management is getting these contracts.

I suspect the usual way people get things in this country when it obviously isn't to do with merit or qualifications or ability.

Riverfest has been appalling for years now. I expect this year to be no different:

The BBQ will be on a cramped Denmark Street and people will still be asking if you have to pay for the food or what exactly is in it for people not actually doing a BBQ.

There will be a band outside Smyth's and drinking on the street courtesy of the bars nearby providing plastic pint glasses. The usual scumbag element will show up with their bags of cans from the offie, leading to a very unpleasant atmosphere later on in the day/night. By midnight it will be a messy crowded drunken horror show.

There will be a half assed boating event that may or may not involve powerboats and the location and times of said event will be unknown to everyone until the last minute. Most people will miss it or be oblivious to it having ever taken place.

There will be a Continental Market outside the granary on a cramped narrow street. The Continental produce on offer will largely consist of ovetpriced pick n mix stalls, overpriced hot dogs and overpriced burgers. They might go mad and have an overpriced crepe stall in case anyone wants to go all out.

There will be something on in Arthur's Quay "Park" which might be kid friendly but definitely not wallet friendly.

Afterwards, Live 95fm, The Limerick Post &The Limerick Leader will tell us all what a glorious weekend it was and publish loads of photos with Rich Anthons (or whatever name he goes by these days) mug front and centre in every shot.

People will leave feedback on social media and it will all be ****ing ignored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I started thread on this i think
    Its all moving to Arthurs quay park mainly to soak up the crowd for after the run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bigpink wrote: »
    I started thread on this i think
    Its all moving to Arthurs quay park mainly to soak up the crowd for after the run

Apparently it's heading to the Crescent :pac: http://limerickunderground.org/2016/04/01/riverfest-on-the-move-in-2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Why bother ??? It's always been pants..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm hoping that's an April fool joke.

panda100 wrote: »

That's ****in priceless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

panda100 wrote: »

The honour of unveiling the plans for the festival fell to the little-known, maverick PR personality and founder of iloverichardlynch.com ilovelimerick.ie, Richard Lynch. On this special occasion, Lynch, who normally avoids the spotlight, insisted on posing agreed to pose for numerous photos, his head turned perfectly sideways so naturally and effortlessly, it seemed that the catwalks of Milan were missing a true star.

Comedy gold :)

So we are three weeks out from this and there is no official website and all that it says on Limerick.ie on a buried post is that highlights for this year will include the Great Limerick Run, the BBQ Competition, the Continental Fair of European Artisan Producers (fcuking lol) and Fashion Friday

What a farce. Do you notice the elephant in the room here besides the woeful planning - not a single "event" has anything to do with the river.

Compare that with Dublin Port Riverfest 2016 which takes place in JUNE

A full website already up and running, with a full programme of activities including visiting tall ships and schooners, DJ and street theatre, family fun fair, markets, children's art & pirate workshops, free walk through visits on the Jeanie Johnson, river kayaking, tugboat dance, boat race on Liffey, aerial acts, shanty singers, trips on MV St. Bridget, Admirals Ball and Parade of Sail Ships leaving.

That is how you do a Riverfest, not this Father Ted Tunnel of Goats bollocks that is foisted upon the people of Limerick year after year. It is an insult frankly and it is time that heads roll over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Red King wrote: »
    That is how you do a Riverfest, not this Father Ted Tunnel of Goats bollocks that is foisted upon the people of Limerick year after year. It is an insult frankly and it is time that heads roll over this.

:pac: :pac:

That couldn't be more accurate. Limerick City & County Council are like a pack of monkeys trying to drive a bus these days.

And let's remember, Riverfest just piggybacked onto the Great Limerick Run, which would be happening regardless.

So Riverfest in all its glory is a BBQ competition and a Fashion showcase by Celia Holman Lee with a few pick n mix stalls and a burger grill pretending to be a Continental Market.

Who the hell is ultimately responsible for this embarrassment? I want names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

So we are three weeks out from this and there is no official website and all that it says on Limerick.ie on a buried post is that highlights for this year will include the Great Limerick Run, the BBQ Competition, the Continental Fair of European Artisan Producers (fcuking lol) and Fashion Friday

What a farce. Do you notice the elephant in the room here besides the woeful planning - not a single "event" has anything to do with the river.

Compare that with Dublin Port Riverfest 2016 which takes place in JUNE

A full website already up and running, with a full programme of activities including visiting tall ships and schooners, DJ and street theatre, family fun fair, markets, children's art & pirate workshops, free walk through visits on the Jeanie Johnson, river kayaking, tugboat dance, boat race on Liffey, aerial acts, shanty singers, trips on MV St. Bridget, Admirals Ball and Parade of Sail Ships leaving.

Nearly fell off my chair laughing at that one.

I reckon a Father Ted Tunnel of Goats type attraction would actually be a plus point of the Riverfest. :pac:

GoatsTunnell.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

:pac: :pac:

Limerick City & County Council are like a pack of monkeys trying to drive a bus these days.
    At least they have the double decker option now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

I know of traders that will not be attending over the event management team and also over the astronomical prices being charged to trader there. It has one of the worst reputations amongst the people in this business so it doesn't look like it has got any better since last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Every year we wonder will they fix any of the many very obvious problems, and every year it's the same thing, except getting smaller as traders decide it's not worth their while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Nothing on the Riverfest facebook page since November 2015 jesus christ its so bad.
    Nothing on the Limerick Chambers facebook either they havent posted since 10th March

Christ if they cantdo basic social media thats free i give up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The may bank holiday weekend is great...

In Killarney...

• Advertisement

The entry charge for the BBQ competition is 100euro.

Ad just went up on the George Facebook page.

I see that last year they started updating the Riverfest Facebook page on March 20th. Obviously the genius minds behind this event have felt that this is too early, as is a functioning website.

This year must be the minimalist approach where they do sweet F.A. and cross their fingers that people show up on the weekend in question.

"Sure won't there be loads doing the Great Limerick Run! Why bother advertising at all, the people are guaranteed to be there!"

"What will we do with the money allocated to us so?"

http://www.riverfest.ie/

Compare this website with this one:

http://dublinriverfest.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Realistically they should just kill it off and try something new. Its had its day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

vkid wrote:
    Realistically they should just kill it off and try something new. Its had its day

Bring back Paddy Expo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Bring back Paddy Expo!

Wow there's a blast from the past!! They were great (lost!!!) weekends .... I found one of the old t shirts there a few years ago, it did exactly what it said in the tin music and alcohol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

http://www.riverfest.ie/

Compare this website with this one:

http://dublinriverfest.com/

You broke the website, the amount of traffic to it must have been intense :Dhttp://www.riverfest.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Just a few facts:

The current event management company, Grooveyard, won the contract which is for either 3 or 5 years, I can't remember which. It's not a new, inexperienced company, just new to Limerick.

The previous event management company was Futureama, which won - uncontested mostly - several contracts concurrently.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth:

Yes it's always been a shambles apart from the GLR and the BBQ competition. Minimum effort charged back to the council at maximum rates.

g

Grooveyard and Futureama are almost indistinguishable in the tripe they offer up as "events".

It is quite amazing how Futureama won so many contracts...actually not it isn't to anyone who pays attention to the way of doing business in Ireland, it is not down to merit but rather who you know.

Then the Council hand the contract to Grooveyard and they manage to be even worse. Amazing really. I wonder what their pitch to the council was - "We'll take an already **** festival and make it even worse. Sure who needs advertising, or a Facebook page or a website."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Many people, groups and business entites have considered the task, but it's a politically charged nightmare, and some of the council 'experts' have no imagination or energy, leading to the result we have being considered acceptable and a miserable budget.

g

Advertisement