Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I've just "Googled" Limerick Riverfest 2016 for some information on this year's event and the complete lack of information is astonishing. This "Event" has turned into a complete shambles and to say that this is supposedly the annual showpiece for our city is a disgrace.

Does anybody know if either the Limerick Leader, Limerick Post, or Live 95FM have reported on this or are they burying their collective heads in the sand??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just saw on their facebook that apparently they have 'Big News' coming tomorrow. Any guesses what it might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

An extra sweet stall at the "continental market"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Now their official website redirects to Limerick.ie

Three weeks out and they have woken up. Pathetic. Probably someone saw this thread and had a word in their ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Please, please let it be they are adding a tunnel of goats. :pac:

• Advertisement

They've announced details on Limerick.ie

BBQ moved to Honans Quay. Riverfest Village for Arthur's Quay park - food and retail stalls.

Fashion Friday in Arthur's Quay

Wakeboarding, Kayaking etc on the river including a display by some world champion

Fireworks display

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

They moved a few things around so..will be interesting to see if anything different materialises at the village thing..I suspect it will be more or less the same as before in different locations. I would love to know how much money they spend on this annually. It doesn't seem a whole pile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Jet-skiing and power boating is not the way to 'embrace the river'. If those ignorant things are blasting up and down the Shannon I won't be going near it. I don't think the people organising Riverfest have any idea about the river and Limerick whatsoever. What are the bets we'll have a big loud tannoy with some phoney Live95fm dj screaming at us all day long ..

Isn't it amazing that they completely exclude the iconic King John's Castle from the entire event? A magnificent riverside castle and courtyard and they can't think of a single way to include it in Riverfest. Likewise for the fabulous riverside boardwalk, indeed the entire loop that takes in the strand walkways.

Instead we get Fashion Friday and Celia Holman Lee bringing the catwalk to...er...Arthur's Quay.

Hooray Riverfest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In fairness these things just turn into a bandwagon for the usual people to plug their wares and make some money. Until the clique of Celia Holman Lee, Richard Lynch, Live 95FM "DJs" etc. are removed I don't think there will be much progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Moving it to the actual riverside was the very least they could have done. Although I'm not sure about the use of Honans Quay given the looming presence of the abandoned Dunnes Stores. What a nice backdrop that'll provide! Why not use the upgraded city quays and boardwalk?

I agree with the point about employing loive95effem DJs as default MCs for virtually every event in the city. "HELLO LIMERICK! ARE YOU HAVING A GREAT TIME?!!" :o What a terrible excuse for a radio station. I also had a read back over the Limerick Leader's comical piece about last years event. Read more like a regurgitated piece of PR guff rather than an actual news article.

Riverfest is run on behalf of Limerick City and County Council and Limerick 2020 by Grooveyard Event Management. Riverfest 2016 sponsors include; The Maldron Hotel, Limerick’s Live 95 FM, The Limerick Post, The Limerick Leader, Mr Binman, The Market Quarter, Fire & Food, Arthur’s Quay Shopping Centre, Irish BBQ Association, and Dolans.

The interests behind this "event".

Don't expect any objective reporting on the success of the event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is there going to be a bar at the Riveefeat Village?
    Be intereating to see who is running that?
    Is there a drinks sponsor?

No drinks sponsor as far as I can see.

Given that Dolan's and The Market Quarter are involved I'd imagine any bar in the park will be run by one of those associated establishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I know the Get West outdoor activities company will be giving river tours of the city by kayak from Shannon Rowing Club for the whole weekend if anyone does in fact want to see the city from the river.

Very surprised at how badly this seems to have been run. You'd think they'd try and line the whole river from the skate park all the way up to King Johns Castle with stalls and events. That would be a great sight and a great celebration of the river and the city.

Speaking at today's event launch in the Curragower Bar and Restaurant on Clancy's Strand, Cllr Liam Galvin, the Mayor of the City and County of Limerick, congratulated the organisers for "showcasing the wonderful breadth of cultural activity in this most historic of Irish cities, one whose history is intrinsically linked with the River Shannon."

Cllr. Liam Galvin added; "As we enter the final stages in our bid to become European Capital of Culture 2020, the events taking place for this festival reminds us just why Riverfest sells out our hotels every year and is such a popular event attracting such a huge variety of people. It is the first major festival of the year in Ireland providing a wonderful opportunity for people from all over Ireland to come together in Limerick during the May Bank Holiday Weekend and experience everything that is special about our Treaty City."

Will someone run this through Google Translate to filter out the bull****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If a fashion show by Celia Holman Lee in Arthurs Quay is showcasing the best of Limerick cultural activity we really are f**ked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

panda100 wrote: »
    If a fashion show by Celia Holman Lee in Arthurs Quay is showcasing the best of Limerick cultural activity we really are f**ked

Ah but sure at least she'll be able to write a gushing piece for her Limerick Leader column. Accompanied by many wonderful pictures of herself and her entourage posing and pouting expertly for the camera!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Will this bring €10m to the local economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Will this bring €10m to the local economy?

If it even brings €10, I'll change my name to eunuch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is the continental market gone.. or have they just (finally ) removed the 'continental' thing and turned into the village?..

More of the very continental candyfloss and ****e balloons im sure..

The Rivervillage is event management speak for "we can't fob this tat off as continental anymore".

Now where's our fee? Aren't we great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Red King wrote: »
    The Rivervillage is event management speak for "we can't fob this tat off as continental anymore".

Now where's our fee? Aren't we great.

What I thought alright..

The mind boggles at how no-one has said let's use the lovely boardwalk that we have.. yano the one that runs right by the river..
    If the bicycle parade people can use it, surely the river can be used for RIVERfest?!!

Literally zero actual thought/planning goes into this.. year in year out

It is mindblowing that after running for years now the event billed as showcasing all that Limerick has to offer and the first festival of the summer in Ireland has no official website.

This is sheer incompetence. It costs less than 20euro a year to have a functioning website.

All that this event showcases is that Limerick City is in the hands of a useless cabal of overpaid goons and preening big fish in a small pond types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

As Bing said" you gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative". This years RiverFest is going to be fantastic. They have learnt so much from the failures of years past and have moved closer to the river, who ever made that suggestion should stand up and take a bow, thats the kind of forward thinking is what this city needs.
    In Fairness I believe that the company who made the Paddys Day parade a huge success will do the same for RiverFest.
    The Great Limerick Run where all the proceeds go to charity will save the day,
    And dont forget the spectacular Fireworks display to close the magnificent event with the Dulcet tones of PJ from 95fm doing the countdown

I cant wait, I am trembling with excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GingerBollix

There appears to be a free Adventure Day (whatever that means) on the Monday of Riverfest by a crowd called GetWest.ie

And they appear to be using the area around the new boardwalk at Harvey's Quay which has been mentioned above as something that should be done....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

There appears to be a free Adventure Day (whatever that means) on the Monday of Riverfest by a crowd called GetWest.ie

And they appear to be using the area around the new boardwalk at Harvey's Quay which has been mentioned above as something that should be done....

They run the the kayaking on the shannon.if its free thats good give peoplr a taste and free pr for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GingerBollix

Just found out, that kayaking crowd are going to have a 30 foot climbing wall set up on Poor Man's Kilkee on the BH Monday too...... That will be class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Just found out, that kayaking crowd
    "That kayaking crowd" are a small adventure sports company called GetWest set up by Paul (not from Limerick) who has put his money where Limerick people put their mouth, knowing Paul as I do, whatever he does as his contribution to Riverfest he will give it 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

For all the criticism, it does seem like they're trying to turn things around (albeit as near slow as the Titanic) and try something different this year. Will withold full judgment until after it - sadly, it's one of those festivals that's very weather-dependent, a sunny one makes a huge difference

Advertisement