Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2016

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Didnt drink but saw the bar from Galway Christmas Market its erdinger and komacher

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Looks much much better than previous years, maybe the rise in price is a good thing if it means all the balloon and cheap tat stalls are now gone.

All it means is that the traders will have to up their prices, you'll be paying more for your cheap tat!!

Bit better but the park too small for the crowds needa to be spread out.the bar in the middle of it is bad idea no control over it
    A beerzone needs to have its own well controlled area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Red King wrote: »
    What's the beer? Price?

Don't know if one the lads was only messing but he said you'd to pay a fiver deposit on the glass and it was a tenner a pint but were the big German glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Don't know if one the lads was only messing but he said you'd to pay a fiver deposit on the glass and it was a tenner a pint but were the big German glasses.

Seems fair considering its a litre of beer , higher alcohol better quality at that, and the glass is worth 3 times that online.

• Advertisement

Are they glass or plastic glasses they are using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Berty wrote: »
    Seems fair considering its a litre of beer , higher alcohol better quality at that, and the glass is worth 3 times that online.

Oh I agree and said the exact same as yourself.
    bigpink wrote: »
    Are they glass or plastic glasses they are using

glass I presume if you've gotta pay a deposit on one of them.

Oh I agree and said the exact same as yourself.

glass I presume if you've gotta pay a deposit on one of them.

Cant not understand how or why they are using glass its crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Works fine for them in Galway. And octoberfest. Removes the problem of people leaving plastic glasses littered everywhere. And it's part of the german beer experience.
    I don't see how it's crazy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used to organise such beer events. The glass is the best way to do it and the deposit is because people mostly won't return the glass and will keep it. Cost of glass is €4 +vat so they're not making a profit on it if you return it or keep it.

If they have Fischer on draught then I recommend people try it. Lovely Bavarian Hellus beer only available on draught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's a plastic cup. €5 for a pint, €15 for the two pints but you get €5 back when you return the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The playground rides are a goddamn disgrace. 3euro a go for about 2 minutes.

Absolute rip off. They no sooner start up and they stop them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The steins are a hard plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Was there yesterday. Thought it was a complete shambles. Everything squeezed in to the Arthurs Quay park with no room to swing a cat. The food and beer area should have it's own space, yet there were kids amusements all around and the queues for these were blocking up the whole place. Amusements also a complete rip off (and fairly lame) but nothing new there. Why wasn't everything spread out across the City? Potatoe Market, Georges Quay, Milk Market, City Centre, Howleys Quay etc? Is it not meant to be a city wide festival? Baffling.

Food - over priced but decent. No different to previous years really. Seating area could have done with parasols as well to be honest. Sun was blinding at times and not easy with kids.

Special mention must go to the Erdinger bar though - what a complete joke. I waited almost 40 mins in the queue but gave up. No queuing system, so a free for all with people skipping and entering in from the sides. Impossible for people then to actually get away from the bar with their drinks, as they had to push back out through the queue - drinks being spilled all over the place. You had to pay a deposit for the Steins yet there was no way of going back to return the Stein except yep, you've guessed it, join the free for all queue again like everybody else. Having only one bar for a huge event like that was laughable (it was taking the barmen an absolute eternity to fill the glasses too, beer was barely trickling out at times), but then to have no enter/exit queuing system at all in place for that one bar really took the p**s.

Over all I would say Arthurs Quay park was a good move and actually showed itself to have great potential - not just for Riverfest but permanently as a summer al-fresco experience. But the organisers made a complete balls of the set up, it was shambolic. Hopefully they'll learn from it.

Thanks wasnt sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Why do they use plastic in limerick? Glass seemed to work fine in galway!

Why do they use plastic in limerick? Glass seemed to work fine in galway!

My guess would be that it's outside while Galway was in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

My 8 yr old daughter went kayaking today with Nevsail Sport as part of Riverfest and we were really impressed with them. She is pretty nervous about anything to do with the water, she has only been kayaking once and that was in a big kayak with two others. After doing the introduction/safety talk she went in a kayak all by herself and loved it. Will definitely be taking her again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Heard teenagers aren't allowed into Arthur's quay park without an adult , some people have been posting into the riverfest Facebook page reporting a lot of teens being turned away due to drink being served in Arthur's quay bit weird

Reopening the road that goes round arthurs quay was madness and dangerous with everyone on the move.Cars flyibg around and cars double parked after 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Reopening the road that goes round arthurs quay was madness and dangerous with everyone on the move.Cars flyibg around and cars double parked after 4

The amount of cars just abandoned along the road was just incredibly stupid. It was very dangerous for pedestrians and made it very difficult to get in to Arthur's Quay multi-storey car park. The Gardai/LC&CC should really have towed the lot of them away.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

h3000 wrote: »
    The amount of cars just abandoned along the road was just incredibly stupid. It was very dangerous for pedestrians and made it very difficult to get in to Arthur's Quay multi-storey car park. The Gardai/LC&CC should really have towed the lot of them away.

It's like that every Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

It's like that every Sunday

It was even worse when I was there yesterday.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

That little road that goes under sarsfield bridge towards arthurs quay, crazy some of the parking over there. I could only JUST squesze through, no way a van or similar would have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The fireworks were excellent.

At least they got that right

Credit where credit's due, this year's Riverfest was fantastic in comparison to previous years. I'm always the first to complain but this year I can't. They incorporated the river. They moved the market/BBQ closer to the river. They clearly listened to the public. I also LOVED the pints in the park. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

I'd second that. Thought the park was great. Great buzz around for the whole weekend.

Bar shut in the park today feck it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya they did a far better job of it this year in fairness. My only main criticism was probably how late they left it to advertise what was going on.

Could be an idea to move the stalls more central and take advantage of the seating that is already built in around the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I thought they could have moved the BBQ down towards poor man's kilkee... Take advantage of the new boardwalk

Advertisement