Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we ever going to get Fibre

Options
  • 22-03-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭

So who can tell me what is wrong with this picture?

I live bang in the middle of it, in an area that has nothing but green flags.  My brother in law lives around the corner (also in the picture) and he has fibre for years now.  It has been like this for years now.  We still can't get fibre.
    I ask eircom why not and they just say it is not available.
    I ask why not.  There must be a reason, but despite numerous times asking I have never been given an actual reason.

25686706830_a23cae5276_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 savvy lady

Not a hope!! I signed back to Eircom as it was then about 4 yrs ago ,on the understanding that fibre was in the area and I would have in a few months. Silly me for believing the sales pitch.
    After much phoning and being transferred between marketing and technical over the past few years, I finally got a young lady who told the truth!!!
    I will never get fibre even though it's in the area for a few years because I'm on a split line ,and " it would be too expensive for Eir to change it"
    Moving to Upc for the whole package,as I am sick of paying for a pathetic broadband speed.
    PS, paying full price for rubbish service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi Seve OB, 

I'm afraid the service is subject to availability so not available to all customers.

Feel free to PM me your details and I'll check this for you.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

savvy lady wrote: »
    Not a hope!! I signed back to Eircom as it was then about 4 yrs ago ,on the understanding that fibre was in the area and I would have in a few months. Silly me for believing the sales pitch.
    After much phoning and being transferred between marketing and technical over the past few years, I finally got a young lady who told the truth!!!
    I will never get fibre even though it's in the area for a few years because I'm on a split line ,and " it would be too expensive for Eir to  change it"
    Moving to Upc for the whole package,as I am sick of paying for a pathetic broadband speed.
    PS, paying full price for rubbish service.

You know what.  I'd be happy if I got a reply like that.

Hi Seve OB, 

I'm afraid the service is subject to availability so not available to all customers.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Ah yea, that's the line I got.

So what makes it available or more so, what makes it not available?  Especially when the website map has being saying it is available for years now.

I will pm you, but would like to know why it is not available and if it is ever likely to be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Seve OB wrote: »
    Hi Seve OB, 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Ah yea, that's the line I got.

So what makes it available or more so, what makes it not available?  Especially when the website map has being saying it is available for years now.

I will pm you, but would like to know why it is not available and if it is ever likely to be available.
    Ok no problem. 

I'll come back to you shortly through PM's.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

PM sent Tracey.

Someone (who seems to have a bit of inside knowledge in this field) told me that certain areas like mine have been left by Eircom and not upgraded to Fibre because there is a large volume of customers in said areas who are no longer Eircom customers (so they are with Sky, BT, etc).

Essentially Eircom have decided that these areas are not a priority as there is no benefit to them because they are not Eircom customers.  I don't know how true this is.  Again though, if this was the case, it would be an actual reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PM sent Tracey.

Someone (who seems to have a bit of inside knowledge in this field) told me that certain areas like mine have been left by Eircom and not upgraded to Fibre because there is a large volume of customers in said areas who are no longer Eircom customers (so they are with Sky, BT, etc).

Essentially Eircom have decided that these areas are not a priority as there is no benefit to them because they are not Eircom customers.  I don't know how true this is.  Again though, if this was the case, it would be an actual reason.
    Thats not correct. Only a very small portion of lines run via BT WS, Sky, Vodafone etc mostly resell OpenEir who benefit from you going to VDSL.

The issues are:
    • DF Lines: Your cable bypasses the local cab and goes straight to the exchange, no difference for ADSL but puts you out of range for VDSL
    • Certain cabs that haven't been upgraded as they can't be or are too small to be economical
    [*]

Neither of these issues will get fixed. FTTH will supersede this in a few years.

The one big caveat here is if you're checking your address its just a guess. It may be available but an OpenEir staff member never marked it green. If you want a reliable result you need working phone line(broadband only is fine). 

ED E wrote: »
    PM sent Tracey.

Thats not correct. Only a very small portion of lines run via BT WS, Sky, Vodafone etc mostly resell OpenEir who benefit from you going to VDSL.

The issues are:
    • DF Lines: Your cable bypasses the local cab and goes straight to the exchange, no difference for ADSL but puts you out of range for VDSL
    • Certain cabs that haven't been upgraded as they can't be or are too small to be economical

[*]

Neither of these issues will get fixed. FTTH will supersede this in a few years.

The one big caveat here is if you're checking your address its just a guess. It may be available but an OpenEir staff member never marked it green. If you want a reliable result you need working phone line(broadband only is fine). 
    [*]
    Didn't think so tbh.

so if we do have a df line we will never be able to get fibre?  how would we know if that's what we have?

all the cabs near me have been updated.  nearest one is 240m as the crow flies or no more than 340 if you take the path.  if you go to the cab in opposite direction it is 290m as the crow flies or about 370 along the path

whats FTTH?

what do you mean about the caveat? I checked my number on the eircom website and spoke to eircom rep.  how to I get a reliable result using my working phone line.

I currently have crappy broadband, do well to get 2mb, but a lot of the time it goes down as low as .2 :eek:and generally is is about 1.5 as an average

Tracey
    I got your PM, but as your reply was pretty unspecific, I feel it should be on thread
    Thanks for those details.
    I've looked into this for you and I'm afraid your address is not enabled for the eFibre service.
    I've checked the current roll out file and I'm afraid you are not on this. The next one is due in a few months time feel free to check back with us then.
    Thanks
    Tracey

Nothing there that I really don't know.  That is the same answer Eircom keeps giving me, which is pretty unspecific and the reason I started this thread.
    Why though?
    As I said above, I live very near the cabinets, all of which have been updated to fibre.
    What is the reason we can't get fibre?
    There has to be a reason other than your address in not enabled and there is no plan to roll it out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Tracey
    I got your PM, but as your reply was pretty unspecific, I feel it should be on thread
    Originally posted by eircom: Tracey
    Thanks for those details.
    I've looked into this for you and I'm afraid your address is not enabled for the eFibre service.
    I've checked the current roll out file and I'm afraid you are not on this. The next one is due in a few months time feel free to check back with us then.
    Thanks
    Tracey

Nothing there that I really don't know.  That is the same answer Eircom keeps giving me, which is pretty unspecific and the reason I started this thread.
    Why though?
    As I said above, I live very near the cabinets, all of which have been updated to fibre.
    What is the reason we can't get fibre?
    There has to be a reason other than your address in not enabled and there is no plan to roll it out to you.
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give an exact reason as to why you can't get the service yet. There are many factors that can affect this. 

The roll out is not completed in your area as of yet so you may be able to get the service soon however I wouldn't be able to guarantee this. 

The service will not be available to all customers unfortunately. 

Thanks 

Tracey  

• Advertisement

that is crazy.  you cant give me fibre but you cant tell me why you cant give it to me.

but yet the fact that my neighbours can get it and have been getting it for years, tells me that there is little rolling out left to do in my area.  what sense would it make to update all the cabinets in an area years ago to then wait a few years before they finish rolling it out.  that is like getting your Christmas dinner ready now to come back in 9 months to eat it !!

according to the map, fibre can be available at speeds as low as 7mb at distances of 2km.  7mb would be 5 times faster than what I currently get, so I would be happy with that.

why dont we tackle this another way.

can you please tell me what are the many factors that can affect someone like myself who is bang in the centre of a highly populated Dublin suburb, who has at least a dozen fibre active cabinets within (to be prudent) a mere 1 km from my house and not one single cabinet still to be updated within that distance?

by the way, I can accept if you tell me I will never ever get fibre.  what I cant accept is not being given any reason at all why I cant get it.

At BEST, your line is 4km long, it runs from your estate back to the exchange on the north eastern side of Blanch. 

Your line passes two cabs on the corner of the Carpenterstown Ave roundabout, BTD 47 and 70. 47 is done, 70 is still in progress.

If you're routed through 70, you'll be able to get VDSL as soon as its done. If you aren't, you never will.

Only an OpenEir technician can read your copper cab, you cant talk to them. Eir reps on here are retail(?mostly?) and won't know. Watch the map here http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ and when the cab goes light green you'll know what the result is.

Fair play to you picking out the location on that map I posted :)
    I live on the drive, so have to pass cab 064 & 048  before I get to the 47 & 70, both of which have already been upgraded.

it is disgraceful that you can give me more information than Eircom can.  I already seem to know more than they do, just from your advice and looking online a little.

I would still like their input on it though.

that is crazy.  you cant give me fibre but you cant tell me why you cant give it to me.

can you please tell me what are the many factors that can affect someone like myself who is bang in the centre of a highly populated Dublin suburb, who has at least a dozen fibre active cabinets within (to be prudent) a mere 1 km from my house and not one single cabinet still to be updated within that distance?

by the way, I can accept if you tell me I will never ever get fibre.  what I cant accept is not being given any reason at all why I cant get it.
    Bump.  Eircom.  have you got an answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi Seve OB,

Apologies for the delayed response.
    Can you PM me your account details and I will contact wholesale and request clarification on this. 

Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Hi Seve OB,

Can you PM me your account details and I will contact wholesale and request clarification on this. 

Pamela 
    Pamela, not to thread hijack. But I'm in the exact same boat waiting on fibre. Can I pass on an address / line number for you to check the status on ? 

Rockin wrote: »

Hi Seve OB,

Pamela 
    Pamela, not to thread hijack. But I'm in the exact same boat waiting on fibre. Can I pass on an address / line number for you to check the status on ? 
    That's no problem Rockin :)

Pamela 

Thanks for your PM Seve OB,
    I have checked this with our wholesale team and they have advised me that works have not completed on your line to enable the efibre service as of yet. Unfortunately they do not have a lead time at the minute.
    I'm sorry I can not offer you better news on this.
    Pamela

Pamela, thanks for your pm reply.  It is better than the bland response I have received before, but it still doesn't answer the question I posed.
    Seve OB wrote:

I am trying to figure out why all my friends and family in my area seem to be getting Fibre for years but it still eludes me.

I appreciate your response that work has not completed on my line, but I could have told you that, as if work was complete on my line, well then I would have Fibre!!  I've been checking every week for years.

So I think the only way I can figure out why I cannot get Fibre is to work it out for myself.
    If I can figure out what the "many factors" are, then maybe I can pinpoint the factor attributable to my line.

So yet again, can you please tell me what is the specific work that remains to be done to my line to enable fibre on it?

or at least, can you give me a shortlist of factors I can work through to trouble shoot

Hi  Seve OB,

There are many factors that can affect this. Unfortunately we would be unable to determine on why a particular customer would be unable to avail of the service.

-Pamela 

Hi  Seve OB,

There are many factors that can affect this. Unfortunately we would be unable to determine on why a particular customer would be unable to avail of the service.

-Pamela 
    I KNOW!!!!!!!

that is why I asked what are the "Many Factors"???????????????????????

I'll work it out then for myself, why my actual problem is.

• Advertisement

Hi  Seve OB,

-Pamela 
    I KNOW!!!!!!!

that is why I asked what are the "Many Factors"???????????????????????

I'll work it out then for myself, why my actual problem is.
    Thanks  Seve OB,

Factors can include distance from the cabinet, to avail of the fibre to the cabinet service (FTTC) you would need to be within 2km's of the cabinet. Cable paths in the area, the planned efibre roll-out, your individual line and permissions with the local county council etc.

-Pamela 

Thanks  Seve OB,

Factors can include distance from the cabinet, to avail of the fibre to the cabinet service (FTTC) you would need to be within 2km's of the cabinet. Cable paths in the area, the planned efibre roll-out, your individual line and permissions with the local county council etc.

-Pamela 
    ok so

1. Distance from Cabinet. Already established that I am no more than a few hundred meters from about 8 or 9 cabinets which all have been upgraded. So I am well within the 2km.

Am I correct in assuming my line would have to go through one of these cabinets?

How do I find out which Cabinet is mine? Surely the nearest one?

2. Cable Paths in the area. What does this mean?

3. The planned eFibre Rollout. Well e Fibre was rolled out in my area basically at the beginning of fibre, so I consider it well and truly rolled out in my area

4. My individual line. Now I think we are getting top the hub of the issue. I suspect the problem is most definitely with my individual line somewhere along the way.

5. Permissions with the local county council etc. Well this is a null point as everybody else gets Fibre in my estate so I seriously doubt the county council are picking on me!

So that brings us back to the "Individual line" problems.
    What could be wrong here?
    Are we talking different types of cable?
    Are we talking cable that may be to thin or thick?
    Could we be talking about broken or fractured cables?
    Could we be talking inside the house or outside the house?
    Could we be talking about a line split between loads of houses?

And how do I find out what cabinet my line goes through?

Read my post on page one of this thread, you're most likely direct fed, your line doesn't route via a cab (at least not a close one). Only OpenEir staff can see these records and the reps on here won't go into it.

This is a permanent situation, it won't be fixed. FTTH in the next 5yrs should eventually make it irrelevant.

Read my post on page one of this thread, you're most likely direct fed, your line doesn't route via a cab (at least not a close one). Only OpenEir staff can see these records and the reps on here won't go into it.

This is a permanent situation, it won't be fixed. FTTH in the next 5yrs should eventually make it irrelevant.
    with respect, you are not eircom and you are making presumptions.  I would like to know the facts.
    if the reps here can't see the records and won't go into it, they should be able to at the very least direct me to the relevant department.

with respect, you are not eircom and you are making presumptions.  I would like to know the facts.
    if the reps here can't see the records and won't go into it, they should be able to at the very least direct me to the relevant department.
    I'm very sorry I could not offer you better news on this Seve OB,

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    so you are refusing to answer any of my questions or at the very least directing me to someone who can answer them?

-Pamela 
    so you are refusing to answer any of my questions or at the very least directing me to someone who can answer them?
    I have in no way refused and I'm very sorry if you feel this way. The information provided is the most information we have on this at the minute. 
    I understand this must be quite frustrating for you and I'm very sorry I cannot provide you further information on this Seve OB.

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    I have in no way refused and I'm very sorry if you feel this way. The information provided is the most information we have on this at the minute. 
    I understand this must be quite frustrating for you and I'm very sorry I cannot provide you further information on this Seve OB.

-Pamela 
    Of course you refused.  I have asked a number of questions and you didn't answer one of them, but instead you simply said "I'm very sorry I could not offer you better news on this"

I know I'm being a pain in the arse, but there has to be a reason for everything and I simply can't accept bland statements like this which give no information at all.

So here are the questions again, numbered and with another thrown in for good measure as a result of Ed E's post.

So that brings us back to the "Individual line" problems.  What could be wrong here?

1. Are we talking different types of cable?
    2. Are we talking cable that may be to thin or thick?
    3. Could we be talking about broken or fractured cables?
    4. Could we be talking inside the house or outside the house?
    5. Could we be talking about a line split between loads of houses?
    6. And how do I find out what cabinet my line goes through?
    7. Is as Ed E points out my line most likely direct fed, and not routed via a cab ?

If you cannot answer these questions, please direct me to someone in Eir who can.

I'm providing an educated opinion, have a look at the broadband forum if you doubt that.

They can only direct you to Open Eir. Open Eir will not talk to you, you are not a telco. End of. 

If you're really desperate for an answer flag down a local tech on the street and ask him to check for you, nicely. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In situations like this could the end user apply for a second line which would be fed from a cab? Include e-fibre on that order.

When installed and working cancel the old line.
    If installed and e-fibre not working cancel it again.

OK, it would cost a little more for the overlap in the two contracts, and it would mean losing the original phone number, but otherwise would it not work?

Advertisement