Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we ever going to get Fibre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In situations like this could the end user apply for a second line which would be fed from a cab? Include e-fibre on that order.

When installed and working cancel the old line.
    If installed and e-fibre not working cancel it again.

OK, it would cost a little more for the overlap in the two contracts, and it would mean losing the original phone number, but otherwise would it not work?
    Rarely, only if the existing main cable he's on is full forcing them to pull through an extra pair from the cab. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ED E wrote: »
    In situations like this could the end user apply for a second line which would be fed from a cab? Include e-fibre on that order.

When installed and working cancel the old line.
    If installed and e-fibre not working cancel it again.

OK, it would cost a little more for the overlap in the two contracts, and it would mean losing the original phone number, but otherwise would it not work?
    Rarely, only if the existing main cable he's on is full forcing them to pull through an extra pair from the cab. 
    Ah yes, thanks. I forgot about the DF line having spare capacity  :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm very sorry I could not offer you better news on this Seve OB,

-Pamela 
    so you are refusing to answer any of my questions or at the very least directing me to someone who can answer them?
    I have in no way refused and I'm very sorry if you feel this way. The information provided is the most information we have on this at the minute. 
    I understand this must be quite frustrating for you and I'm very sorry I cannot provide you further information on this Seve OB.

-Pamela 
    Of course you refused.  I have asked a number of questions and you didn't answer one of them, but instead you simply said "I'm very sorry I could not offer you better news on this"

I know I'm being a pain in the arse, but there has to be a reason for everything and I simply can't accept bland statements like this which give no information at all.

So here are the questions again, numbered and with another thrown in for good measure as a result of Ed E's post.

So that brings us back to the "Individual line" problems.  What could be wrong here?

1. Are we talking different types of cable?
    2. Are we talking cable that may be to thin or thick?
    3. Could we be talking about broken or fractured cables?
    4. Could we be talking inside the house or outside the house?
    5. Could we be talking about a line split between loads of houses?
    6. And how do I find out what cabinet my line goes through?
    7. Is as Ed E points out my line most likely direct fed, and not routed via a cab ?

If you cannot answer these questions, please direct me to someone in Eir who can.
    We would not have visibility of this from our end Seve OB. In order to identify why efibre is unavailable to you, this would require a physical inspection by a technician. Unfortunately this is not a service that we provide therefore we would be unable to assist you with this here. I'd sorry I could not offer you better news. - Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

We would not have visibility of this from our end Seve OB. In order to identify why efibre is unavailable to you, this would require a physical inspection by a technician. Unfortunately this is not a service that we provide therefore we would be unable to assist you with this here. I'd sorry I could not offer you better news. - Pamela 
    It's not a good answer, it's not what I wanted to hear, but it is finally an answer that at least makes some kind of sense.

I just don't know why this could not have been said at the start of this thread, or on the numerous times I went through live chat and phone calls with Eircom over the years.  Nobody has ever told me that it would take a physical inspection, I always just got fobbed off with lines like its not available to everyone and someday you might be able to get it.

It's not good news Pamela, but thanks for letting me know (and giving me no hope!):rolleyes:

It's not a good answer, it's not what I wanted to hear, but it is finally an answer that at least makes some kind of sense.

I just don't know why this could not have been said at the start of this thread, or on the numerous times I went through live chat and phone calls with Eircom over the years.  Nobody has ever told me that it would take a physical inspection, I always just got fobbed off with lines like its not available to everyone and someday you might be able to get it.

It's not good news Pamela, but thanks for letting me know (and giving me no hope!):rolleyes:
    No problem  Seve OB,

Again sorry I could not offer you better news :(

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

if every cabinet around you is fibre enabled , but you can't avail of it , it means your phone line is by passing all cabinets and going straight to your nearest exchange .
    This means you can never avail of FTTC for the foreseeable future
    When FTTH (fibre to the home) is introduced you can avail of fibre , but that is a big project and won't be any time soon .
    I work in this line of work (not with eir) so I understand a fibre/copper network

I still have the same old sh1t internet connection

except it has gotten worse of late.  much worse.

I've lost all hope

I've lost all hope
    Hi Seve OB

Feel free to PM me your account details and eir code and I will check your availability again.

Thanks,
    Pamela.

I've lost all hope
    Hi Seve OB

Feel free to PM me your account details and eir code and I will check your availability again.

Thanks,
    Pamela.
    I'm currently with Sky
    same eircom line though

i'll pm you my phone number now

when I check on Vodafone site, it tells me my line can handle 24mb, but eir site tells me 4mb

how can this be if they are using the same infrastructure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

when I check on Vodafone site, it tells me my line can handle 24mb, but eir site tells me 4mb

how can this be if they are using the same infrastructure?
    Hi Steve,

Pamela has advised she has been in touch with you via PM.

Thanks,
    Leanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

@Seve OB I sympathise. I was in your situation. For years I watched as everyone around me got better and better connectivity while mine got worse. Finally out of frustration at a provider that didn't give a damn about me and refused to give me a straight answer, I left. That was just over 4 months ago.
    Last week I had an Eir sales rep pop by the house to offer the new FTTH product. So here I am,having left on the strength of Eir reps telling me there was no plan to improve my situation and no sooner do I enter into a new contract than they offer me 1Gb/s fibre to the home.

You couldn't make it up.

Advertisement