Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 and general traffic around Dublin?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 5:56pm

Hey folks.

Have a day of driving to do in Dublin (work related, darting about the city randomly from place to place). Usually do it on a sunday and start early as the city is generally dead and you can fly about quickly.

However, I'm aware this week is 1916 week. I presume this will make Sunday a write off in terms of getting around quickly, but does anyone know of anything on Monday that may hinder my plans? I presume monday will just be back to normal (With the odd event on here or there, but nothing that should bring any real traffic into the city?).

Checked the ireland.ie site and altough it kinda gives an overview of what's going on, I'm not too familiar with Dublin (I follow a sat nav about the place) and im unsure of the popularity of the events or how they're being held.

Anyone got any advice on getting around over the bank holiday weekend?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can see some of the events on Monday here;http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Event-Guide/1916-Easter-Rising-Commemoration-Events/Dublin.aspx
    Cathal Brugha St will be closed between O'Connell St and Marlborough St from midnight on Sun 27th until 11pm on Mon.

Mary's Lane, Beresford St, George's Hill, Halston St, Green St Little, Anglesea Row, Greek St, St. Michan's St and Arran St East will be closed between 6am and 10pm.

Smithfield, Smithfield Terrace, New St North, New Church St, Friary Ave, Friary Grove, Bow St, Nicholas Ave, May Lane and Haymarket will be closed between 8am and 8pm.

St. Stephen's Green West will be closed to traffic between 10am and 4pm.

Merrion Square South, East, Fitzwilliam St Lwr and Mount St Upr will be closed between 8am and 8pm.

St. Stephen's Green South, West, North and Earlsfort Terrace will be closed to between 3am and 9pm.

Dodge wrote: »

Cheers for the link and reply.

I don't really know any of those street names. Is it just effectively the centre of the city itself? From Parnell st to Stephens green? (there's a map on the site that is focused in on that kind of area, so im not sure if all the places affected are within that zone or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a strong risk that the Sunday will turn into a mess transport wise. The Monday won't be quite as bad, but avoid O'Connell street area and Smithfield: See map here: http://www.transportforireland.ie/1916-commemorations-travel-options/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Cheers for the link and reply.

I don't really know any of those street names. Is it just effectively the centre of the city itself? From Parnell st to Stephens green? (there's a map on the site that is focused in on that kind of area, so im not sure if all the places affected are within that zone or not).

Not really. Smithfield and Merrion Sq. would be outside that Parnell St to Stephens Green corridor. So there will be disruptions city wide.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

On Monday there are several unofficial marches happening from what I have seen on flyers around the city so while early morning might be ok, any time after about 12 will probably be busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

whats 1916 week anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Asmooh wrote: »
    whats 1916 week anyway?

I'm presuming that you are not Irish so may have to listen very carefully to this fella. :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rT8uFIbNrHw
    http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/50-facts-about-the-Easter-Rising-which-began-99-years-ago-today-PHOTOS.html

Cheers for the heads up guys. I'll try to get in to the city for 6am and out for 12ish on saturday and monday if possible. Hopefully the sunrises will be early nice and early (nothing worse than expecting the sun at 6am and it's so cloudy and rainy that it doesn't actually get brighter til half 6!) Hopefully I'll get everything done on those two mornings. I won't even bother trying to do anything on Sunday.

Advertisement