Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That's crazy, never played the michonne one. Is that like a sale deal or prerder deal?

Preorder deal, seems to be the new incentive to preorder. Was the same with Dishonored 2 and South Park

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Should be the same when preorder goes live on euro store as well so, hopefully.

Should be the same when preorder goes live on euro store as well so, hopefully.

Same deal on Irish store but is €29.99

Same deal on Irish store but is €29.99

Ah that's shyte! They're usually 25 for the season, maybe 20 if you preorder. I'm still getting it day one but not on the euro store for a tenner more.

Ah that's shyte! They're usually 25 for the season, maybe 20 if you preorder. I'm still getting it day one but not on the euro store for a tenner more.

Yeah telltale games are usually cheaper on Canadian store. And there is a 10% off discount code for the Canadian store this weekend so you'd get it for €18.85 which is a complete bargain

• Advertisement

Is there a site for Canadian psn credit other than PC game supply? They only have 20 and 50 cards.

Is there a site for Canadian psn credit other than PC game supply? They only have 20 and 50 cards.

Not that I know of, always use pcgamesupply

CLEEEEEMMMM!

First two episodes will be available at launch

• Advertisement

Motherflipping
    Jesus
    :pac:

This is looking really cool.

Telltale have outlined how to carry over your save.

My save is on my old PS3 which is gone so just gonna use their questionaire thing to sculpt my journey so far.

https://telltale.com/news/2016/12/how-you-can-get-your-walking-dead-saves-into-season-three/
    Start New Story
    This is for people who haven’t played The Walking Dead before, or don’t recall their previous experience. In this mode, Season Three starts with a Clementine who has lost everyone from the previous Seasons and is left alone with AJ.

Continue Your Story
    If you want to continue with the story you created in Season One and/or Season Two, then we have some options for you.
    Option 1 – Story Generator
    Inside of Season Three, there is a “story generator” option where we’ll ask you a series of questions that help us hone in on your Clementine. This will select one of 42 different “starting points”, that include not just your ending but also the relationships you had with different characters and the style of player you are.
    This was a fascinating thing for us to build and involved us combing through mountains of Walking Dead data and using some fancy data science to figure this out. We’ll be talking more about this, but it was organic and cool. I guess 42 really is the answer to life the universe and everything!
    Option 2 – Use your Season Two save game
    1. If you’re playing on the same device, and you still have your old Season Two save file, you can import your save. When you start a new game in Season Three, you’ll be automatically prompted to use your Season Two save data.
    2. If you want to play on a different device, and still have your old device with Season Two saves. Then we’ve done our best to help you out. We’ve recently updated Season Two (on all platforms) to include Telltale Cloud Saves. You’ll need to update your app, launch Season Two and create a Telltale Account (if you don’t already have one). Then you can enable Cloud Saves and upload your Season Two save to the cloud. When you launch Season Three, you’ll be able to login to your Telltale Account and download the Cloud Save. Then you’re good to go! This is how to migrate your story from one device to another, like moving from PS3 to PS4, or Xbox 360 to Xbox One. It works from any platform to any other platform.
    That’s it! We have a video coming out that will also walk people through how to do this in detail. We’ll let you know when that’s available. You can share that too!

My save is on my old PS3 which is gone so just gonna use their questionaire thing to sculpt my journey so far.

https://telltale.com/news/2016/12/how-you-can-get-your-walking-dead-saves-into-season-three/
    Yeah I played season one and two on the 360 and I have them both on ps4 so I dunno if I'll just upload the 360 data or play through again on the ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I always hated these types of games. Never had an interest. Picked up Season One on a sale, played it for an hour and still hated it. Again, picked it up out of through boredom with an idea to just power through the game no matter what........but turned out the story was brilliant. Loved Season Two and cannot wait for Season 3.

Happy days!!!!!

Not sure about PS4 but on Xbox if you click free trial you can play it for free with achievements too. The trial is the complete ep.1

Also in related news it's been cancelled on last gen consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

On PS4 there is an update for Season 2 that allows you to upload your previous save if you have a Telltale account, you can then add your account and import to Season 3.

Edit:
    Not sure about PS4 but on Xbox if you click free trial you can play it for free with achievements too. The trial is the complete ep.1

This is not the situation on PS4, you can grab the trial but it is not the complete episode.

I answered the questions at the start to carve my playthrough as my saves are on my old ps3, wasn't playing again on ps4. I was expecting way more Q's but got it finishing just how I actually ended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

how does it run ?

I am interested in that I completed Walkin Dead 1 and 2 and enjoyed both.

I am very disinterested in the fact that it's the same engine that they are still using.
    Batman ran so poorly for me, I'm not sure if I want to play this.
    Also...I'm kind of tired of just being TOLD the story and my choices having no real consequences.

Probably a next Xmas or Summer sale jobby for me

SeantheMan wrote: »
    how does it run ?

I am interested in that I completed Walkin Dead 1 and 2 and enjoyed both.

I am very disinterested in the fact that it's the same engine that they are still using.
    Batman ran so poorly for me, I'm not sure if I want to play this.
    Also...I'm kind of tired of just being TOLD the story and my choices having no real consequences.

Probably a next Xmas or Summer sale jobby for me

Batman was an upgrade to the telltale engine but they semi-quietly ditched last gen support on this and it shows so far. Runs much smoother to my eyes.

I played the trial of this , which was the whole 1st episode and all I can say is if you have telltale fatigue even if you like walking dead forget it. Theres more walking around in this than Batman meaning you are looking for how to progress the story for longer. The story is interesting but not lay your money down on day one good and as for choices I loaded the game 3 times, using my own save and 2 generared on how the last game ended and saw no difference, and one of those choices was a big one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

The story telling has moved on leaps and bounds with this game, imo. Same way of playing through it. But the games were always about the story, if you didn't get on with the game play before. Then this isn't the game for you, however if you like a good story telling.. . So far so bloody good.... Only 2 episodes so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

This is excellent news. I got a PS4 last year, but kept my PS3 solely so I could keep my TWD game saves. So glad that it worked out in the end

Finished the 1st Episode and it was ****ing awesome! Cheered and gasped at multiple scenes. Great to be back in the Telltale TWD universe.

Decisions:
    I stayed the night at the junk yard.
    I shot the driver, can't believe I was in the minority on this.
    I got locked up cuz me and Clem are BFF's
    I went with Eleanor. Wanted to take Clem's advice but didn't want to wait til morning.
    I stayed with Clem. See BFF comment.

So, the people who went with Tripp. How did the junkyard play out?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Anyone else on ps4 having an issue with this? Downloaded the first episode - no it says waiting to install. But when I try to install it says it can't find it. Tried deleting and downloading it again and same things..

Episode 2 spoilers:
    Not as good as Ep1, most of the decisions were easy enough to make and the ending curve ball was a sceptical WTF. Kate and the doc aren't great characters at all, don't feel either can be trusted. Gabe is a gobshyte. Javi and Clem make a great team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Anyone else on ps4 having an issue with this? Downloaded the first episode - no it says waiting to install. But when I try to install it says it can't find it. Tried deleting and downloading it again and same things..

I'm having an issue in terms of episode 2 not being made available to me despite the fact that I bought the season pass. Keeps telling me to buy the episode or the season pass.

Clicked on it and it says it's already installed... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Finished the 1st Episode and it was ****ing awesome! Cheered and gasped at multiple scenes. Great to be back in the Telltale TWD universe.

Decisions:
    I stayed the night at the junk yard.
    I shot the driver, can't believe I was in the minority on this.
    I got locked up cuz me and Clem are BFF's
    I went with Eleanor. Wanted to take Clem's advice but didn't want to wait til morning.
    I stayed with Clem. See BFF comment.

So, the people who went with Tripp. How did the junkyard play out?
    I pretty much went with the same choices. I replayed it making some different choices but the outcome is more or less the same. Going with Tripp to the junkyard plays out the very same way as going with Eleanor.

Crackle wrote: »
    I pretty much went with the same choices. I replayed it making some different choices but the outcome is more or less the same. Going with Tripp to the junkyard plays out the very same way as going with Eleanor.

Ah thats pretty disappointing but not very surprising I spose. That was their best chance to start branching the story even if it just meant adding 1 different scenario before looping it back into story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

I have to say though I've really liked the first 2 episodes. There's been some shocking and downright jaw dropping moments, especially Clem's flashbacks.
    In the one where she's with Jane, while I was expecting her to walk in to the room to find Jane dead (I was presuming illness), I certainly didn't think she'd find her like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I have big problems with how two of the key decisions play out in the context of the narrative. For me they just don't make sense. In fact they're completely broken.
    There are two big decisions involving Clementine and I sided against her for both of them.The first asks you to lie for her and a whopping 95% of players did! The second occurs after your family is attacked by a gang of humans, with your niece being shot through the head. The decision is that you either escape with the remainder of your family or stay and fight with Clementine. Almost 85% chose to stay and fight with Clementine!

They're massive margins. I once read an interview with Telltale where they said they wanted the decisions to be as close to 50/50 as possible because that means they're proper dilemmas. And up until now they'd done a good job of it. But they've lost control of it in this first episode of Season 3.

I feel that the vast majority sided with Clementine because they, the player, are loyal to her, having been with her for the first two seasons. However the decisions relate to Javier, not you and all of your accumulated baggage.

Javier only just met Clementine. Admittedly she orchestrated the crash that freed him, but she only wanted the vehicle. She didn't know or care about Javier. Their relationship is based on the fact that she knows where the junkyard is and he has a truck to bargain with. She doesn't save him. She doesn't do anything for him, or with him, other than strike a self-serving agreement. Yet minutes later the player is asked to lie for her when her recklessness results in a man being shot dead.

At this point Javier is in Prescott, surrounded by agreeable people and a man that has already offered him temporary refuge. Why would he lie to cover up a killer (accidental or not) when his sole objective is finding his family? He doesn't know Clementine or owe her anything. So it's the player that's being asked to side with Clementine, and of course the majority of players did. However if you role-play as Javier then the decision to side with Clementine becomes difficult to justify within that individual moment.

The second decision is even more problematic. Javier's niece has just been shot through the head. Kate, Javier's (sort of) girlfriend, has been shot in the abdomen and needs medical attention. His nephew is begging him to escape with them. Tripp, the benevolent gatekeeper and muscle of Prescott, is also asking Javier to flee where they'll all be safe and where Kate can receive medical attention from the medic, Eleanor. Alternatively, Clementine asks Javier to stay and fight, because if they don't deal with the aggressors now then they'll be constantly running from them.

So as Javier the choice is to either escape back to a heavily fortified town with the remainder of your family and seek medical attention from people that want to help, or stay and fight alongside a young girl, with very little weapons or ammo, against a large group of armed men. It just doesn't work. None of it makes sense.

If, like me, you sided against Clementine earlier, why on earth would you stay and risk your life for her now? Plus you're jeopardising the lives of your nephew and girlfriend. Yes, Javier will want revenge for his niece's death, but that aspect is not fully explored and so is ultimately unconvincing.

Clementine says that Javier needs to stand his ground otherwise the group of men will keep coming after them. But the group wasn't chasing them!? They only attacked because Javier and his friends returned to the junkyard. Like it or not, the group of men are only protecting their own and up until that point have refused to kill anyone, despite the fact that Javier killed their friend/colleague. To them, Javier is a trespasser, a thief, a liar and a killer! There is no indication that the men were looking for Javier and his family. They're just not gonna tolerate him returning to their place of safety.

Javier can escape with the remainder of his family alongside a very competent man that wants to help, or stay and fight with a young girl he barely knows and who, up until that point, has shown no indication of doing anything other than serving her own needs. Plus it's not as if you're abandoning Clementine. She could escape with you. For some reason she decides to stay behind on her own and bravely keep the men away. However at the point of Javier's decision she could have simply hopped in the truck with them. There's no reason for her to stay.

It just doesn't make sense. It destroyed any sense of immersion for me. I accept that people have emotional attachments to various characters based on the two previous seasons, but surely there are better ways to play with that. In Season 2 both the player and Clementine had loyalties to Kenny, but there were reasons to go against him. You could role-play as Clementine or simply make decisions as the player, but either way there were reasons and justifications to make the decisions that you did. There is none of that here. You could argue that in the first decision you sided with Clementine because Javier and her had an agreement and were helping each other, and in the second decision you sided with her because you wanted vengeance and needed to end the situation there and then. But they are threadbare justifications that have little to no narrative plausibility. Disappointing.

The one real highlight is that Clementine is delightfully battle-weary and cynical. I don't think Telltale will push that too far, but I'd love for her to do a Walter White (or even follow in Kenny's footsteps) by turning into some sort of ends-justify-the-means monster.

All in all it's good to be back but Telltale have taken their eye off the ball with their storytelling.

Advertisement