Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naples

• 22-03-2016 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

I know this place gets a bad rap for being crime ridden and run down I was there about 10 years ago it was filthy dirty and had a lot of shady looking people around. But I've been back and the city looks amazing it has an ultra modern and clean metro system, the food is splendid and it's relatively clean. I can see why it has as there there is now a strong police presence I would highly recommend visiting as an alternative city break destination considering major european cities are facing a major terrorism threat. I actually think its nicer than rome as it is cleaner, less touristy and to have as much graffiti . Ryanair don't go there but aer lingus do seasonly it's only 2 hours on a train from rome anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Big fan of Naples too. Dirt cheap, compared to the rest of Italy. The people are great too....mad in the head, but in a good way, that's very easy to warm too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Big fan of Naples too. Dirt cheap, compared to the rest of Italy. The people are great too....mad in the head, but in a good way, that's very easy to warm too.

Yeah that's another good about it aswell it's very cheap. The people aswell they're a lot more down to earth and not as up they're own arse with their expensive clothes like the northern Italians. Yes I agree they are bit crazy since they do things like whizz around narrow streets on vespas without helmets and sometimes with children on the back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've half a day to spend here, well, about 5-6 hours before I meet up with a group. I'm sure there's a left luggage thing around somewhere. http://www.napolicentrale.it/en/service/detail/left-luggage

Anything I should check out around the city in this short period of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I've half a day to spend here, well, about 5-6 hours before I meet up with a group. I'm sure there's a left luggage thing around somewhere. http://www.napolicentrale.it/en/service/detail/left-luggage

Anything I should check out around the city in this short period of time?

I'm sure there's one in the train station. My advice would be hop on the metro and tare a look at the archaeological museum and have a pizza aswell in Naples they're truly excollect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭dennyk

Stephen15 wrote: »
    ...considering major european cities are facing a major terrorism threat.

Nothing at all wrong with a visit to Naples, but this is a really silly reason to go there. You're far, far, far more likely to die while crossing the street in any given city (or even your own hometown), driving to the airport, or even slipping and falling while taking a shower before you leave than you are to even be in the general vicinity of a terrorist attack no matter where you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was in the Naples region on Saturday, on a day tour to nearby Vesuvius and Pompeii.
    The guide who is from Italy said the following, I will paraphrase...you should visit Naples, it is a lovely city, the people are really friendly and that in Italy, the further north you go the colder the people get, the further south you go the warmer the people are.
    Wonderful views of Naples, the bay of Naples, over to Capri and around to Sorrento from Vesuvius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My flight gets in at 11:30am. Assume a bit of time faffing about waiting to collect luggage, deplane, etc. I've to be back at the airport at 6:30pm, let's call that 6. Airport seems close enough to the city, anyway.

Sounds like you don't buy tickets on the bus.

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-alibus-airport-shuttle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

Naples is a wonderful city, the amazing pizza, the neapolitan coffee (the whipped sugar), Nenella (restaurant worth checking out), the old city, the museums, the catacombs, people are so friendly, I'd go back in an instant

Advertisement