Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP emulator in Windows 10??

Options
  • 22-03-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

My current laptop has Windows 7 Professional as its operating system and it has an XP emulator which I need to run an accounting package I've used for years.

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop but I understand that Windows 10 does not have an XP emulator.

First of all, is this true? If it is, is there any way I can run my accounting package in Windows 10?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi. Win 7 professional, didn't have an xp emulator. It used a virtual machine to run xp within windows 7. Try looking into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Is the accounting package a standalone installation? If so you can run in compatibility mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not clear how you're solving it currently, there are multiple methods, but in any case you can use HyperV in the pro versions of 10 to host an XP VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

The accounting package I'm using is Quicken 98. When I bought my current laptop in 2009 it came with Windows 7. I had to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional as it has an XP Emulator while the standard Windows 7 doesn't.

One of the options on the Start Menu is Windows XP Mode and when I click into this I get a virtual desktop for Windows XP. I was able to install Quicken 98 and have been using it through this virtual desktop since.

The compatibility mode sounds like it might be the answer to my problem.

Advertisement