Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps4 activation

Options
  • 22-03-2016 10:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Probably a common problem but I have been told, when there's a network problem, that content isn't available as this isn't my primary activated PS4.
    When I go to do that I am told that another PS4 is my primary system.
    I don't own another PS4, I haven't logged into any other PS4's.
    So, what gives?
    Can I tell where this phantom primary PS4 is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Are you using 2 different regions for purchasing purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Logon here with your psn details.
    https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/cam/devices/device-list.action?category=psn&displayNavigation=false

You can deactivate here and try again I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Probably a common problem but I have been told, when there's a network problem, that content isn't available as this isn't my primary activated PS4.
    When I go to do that I am told that another PS4 is my primary system.
    I don't own another PS4, I haven't logged into any other PS4's.
    So, what gives?
    Can I tell where this phantom primary PS4 is?

Won't help you identify ps4, but you can check the consoles linked to your account online on the Playstation site under your account.

On phone so can post link easily but you can also deactivate all systems then on the your console reactivate the 1 you want, this is only doable a limited amount of times per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you ever logged into another ps4 with your psn account that could be the one identified as your "primary" console. As Taltos mentioned above, use the link to deactive all the ps4's on your account and then simply log into your ps4 and you should have now set it as your primary ps4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RedXIV wrote: »
    If you ever logged into another ps4 with your psn account that could be the one identified as your "primary" console. As Taltos mentioned above, use the link to deactive all the ps4's on your account and then simply log into your ps4 and you should have now set it as your primary ps4

No, this is the only PS4 I have ever used.
    I don't have any other region accounts linked to it either.
    I'll try the link and see what happens.
    If I lose all my save games I will hunt you all down and make you play Xbox One games.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Taltos wrote: »

Feck and bum!
    The link just asks me to log into my activated PS4 and deactivate it, but my only PS4 isn't activated yet!

Just checked again and I'm told that I have deactivated consoles recently and the feature has been disabled for now!
    I didn't deactivate anything, I tried to but wasn't allowed....
    Must give them a ring.

Found this on one of the help pages, did you try this:
    Activating a system

The first time you sign in to PlayStation™Network, you normally select whether you want to activate the system. To activate the system after you first sign in, select [PlayStation™Network/Account Management] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Activate].

More info on it here

Fingers crossed it works, it shouldn't matter about alternate regions as my ps4 is my primary console for my IRL, US and Canada accounts.

That was the first thing I did, I went to the aforementioned part of the PS4 menu and selected "Activate" only be told it couldn't as my PSN account already had a PS4 activated, but just not this one, but there isn't another one, it's the only PS4 I've ever owned or logged in on!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Sounds like you need to call them.
    Would also check your account to see if there have been any odd purchases and suggest you also change your passwords and any reset Q & As just in case...
    It all could be totally innocent but why take the chance.

• Advertisement

Sony really need to add 2 step verification.

With MS I don't even need to enter the code just hit accept on my phone when it pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

going through the web client this is the procedure, had to call them to find out a few weeks ago

go to https://account.sonyentertainmentnet...o!input.action which should open your dashboard

Do not click on devices, instead on the top bar click "account"

then on the left bar click "media and devices"

click "deactivate all"

then activate from your ps4

done!

If you click devices straight from the dashboard it wont allow deactivation but if you go through the menus it will

Went there and I was told that I didn't have the option as I had altered the active PS4 already....

On the phone to them now.
    They say that they should be able to deactivate this "phantom" PS4 and then I can activate my own console.

Confusing as hell, wonder where it came from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mine is like this too and only noticed it the other day, it was always set as my primary. Ill ring them later to sort it cos it wont allow me auto upload my saves or anything without it.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Mine is like this too and only noticed it the other day, it was always set as my primary. Ill ring them later to sort it cos it wont allow me auto upload my saves or anything without it.

Auto/push download don't work either, patching thankfully is separate.

No idea what happened, neither did the guy on the phone.
    All they could say was that the active PS4 on my account was in the EU.... so that narrows it down.
    I was wondering if my son, in some random button pressing, hadn't of done something, but that wouldn't have worked given that he would have to have signed in on another PS4 with my account name and activated that, which he assures me he didn't, plus I'm the only one he knows with a PS4.

Still, the chap on the phone deactivated the other PS4 but did warn me that this is the only time they would do this in the lifetime of my Sony account, but that doesn't mean that once the waiting period is over, some three months, that i can't activate another PS4 instead, which I'm not intending on doing.

Thanks for all your help boys and girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fooster King

What number did you phone? I've tried a few numbers but none of them seem to be valid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

The same thing is after happening to me now and its incredibly frustrating. Rang the helpline and they were worse than useless and it didn't help that the other person didn't have great English.

I kept asking where or who this other ps4 was and they just kept saying we'll send you an email. Email just said go into account and deactivate which I obviously can't do.

Any fix for this without ringing the help line back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement