Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants open this Good Friday

• 22-03-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

All the pubs are closed this Good Friday obviously.

Are there any restaurants open even or are they all closed as well, the law says you can sell alcohol if you are serving food with it apparently

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can open your pub as well if you're serving food. Most of them choose to close but some will be open.

Good Friday is a day where people will be out and about in force. Restaurants will surely all be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭aidanki

I mean in the evening time say 7 8 pm

Don't see why not. There's a match on in Thomond Park. Hungry people after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Berty wrote: »
    Don't see why not. There's a match on in Thomond Park. Hungry people after that.

And thirsty people, the bars in the stadium are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The greyhound stadium is open too and serving alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

Russells Bar open Good Friday being widely advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I'm no fan of the good friday ban on alcohol but it also never ceases to amaze me they way there is a quest to find a place that serves booze every year.

Are people that desperate for a drink that they can't either go without for one night or just buy some in advance to enjoy at home.

Am I missing something here? I just find it a bit bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Nothing makes people want to do something like being told they ain't allowed to, I guess. Some folks probably just do it to point out or protest the silliness of the law, too, or are using it as an excuse to do something weird and ridiculous like airport/train station pub crawls just for the hell of it.

Granted, there are some hardcore alcoholics out there, but you'd think most of them would have planned ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red King wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the good friday ban on alcohol but it also never ceases to amaze me they way there is a quest to find a place that serves booze every year.

Are people that desperate for a drink that they can't either go without for one night or just buy some in advance to enjoy at home.

I think I should be entitled to go out for dinner on a Friday night of a bank holiday, after a weeks work, and treat myself to a meal and have some wine if I so choose. If Catholics want to abstain from alcohol than that's their prerogative. Why do they have to inflict their religion on us the whole time?

The point is not 'Sure it's only one day' but how the RC church is still influencing Irish law in such a way and still has an authority over prohibiting free citizens from doing things they would like to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

If it was Good Monday I don't think people would mind too much.

panda100 is spot on for my money

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I think I should be entitled to go out for dinner on a Friday night of a bank holiday, after a weeks work, and treat myself to a meal and have some wine if I so choose. If Catholics want to abstain from alcohol than that's their prerogative. Why do they have to inflict their religion on us the whole time?

The point is not 'Sure it's only one day' but how the RC church is still influencing Irish law in such a way and still has an authority over prohibiting free citizens from doing things they would like to do.

Yeah I get that and agree. But at the same time, I don't get the annual find somewhere to drink rush coming up to good Friday.

I mean do people see this as some sort of protest? Do they think this actually makes any kind of impact?

I don't doubt that some people might only have Good Friday off this week but I don't believe that all the people looking to find a drink fall into this category.

It is pretty weird to me. And while I think the Church should not have the power to influence laws I equally find the lengths people go to get a drink on Good Friday kind of a sad reflection of our drink culture too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

panda100 wrote: »

I think you've missed Red King's point.

I work in the drinks industry and I got the day off today. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I think restaurants can serve drink if its with food service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

bigpink wrote: »
    I think restaurants can serve drink if its with food service?

Some can apparently - some not? It's a stupid law anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you really can't do without a drink head to the train station and book a train journey ~40 miles away from the city, either that or have a "substantial" meal somewhere or book into a hotel or go to a club. There's plenty of options available to the thirsty souls out there.

And as for the whole "Church and State", if the RC had their way I'm sure the pubs would be closed for all of lent, definitely on Ash Wednesday as well. It's not that long ago that pubs closed for a couple of hours on a Sunday for the holy hour, when the licensing laws were changed a few years ago publicans chose to keep the Christmas and Good Friday closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Red King wrote: »

I like to go for a drink on a Friday night. On a bank holiday weekend I like it even more. If they closed on a Tuesday instead of a Friday I doubt anybody would be looking for a place that's open.

It is a ridiculous and out of date concept.

Clareman wrote: »
    It's not that long ago that pubs closed for a couple of hours on a Sunday for the holy hour, when the licensing laws were changed a few years ago publicans chose to keep the Christmas and Good Friday closing.

Ah the auld Sunday "Secret Knock" on your local pub where the curtains were closed and the Match was showing but at a lower volume on a Sunday.

Thing was you didn't need to go out to Smoke so could quietly get away with it.

elastico wrote: »
    I like to go for a drink on a Friday night. On a bank holiday weekend I like it even more. If they closed on a Tuesday instead of a Friday I doubt anybody would be looking for a place that's open.

It is a ridiculous and out of date concept.

Yeah I know it is. But leaving the religious element out of it. Would missing one Friday out in a year kill you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Alot of restaurants didnt open last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Clareman wrote: »
    If you really can't do without a drink head to the train station and book a train journey ~40 miles away from the city

There's no pub in the station anymore.

Advertisement