Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with double wear foundation?

Options
  • 23-03-2016 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to figure out the knack of Estee Lauder's double wear foundation. A few hours into wearing it, the foundation seems to develop these white powdery spots around my chin and nose. This happens with or without using setting powder. Is this the foundation separating or something? Cos at that stage it's not patchy but these weird powdery spots are unsightly. Has anyone had a similar experience or knows how to correct it? I'm very confused as to the cause. it hasn't happened to me with any other foundation!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Had the same experience but around my forehead and eyes.

Just didn't suit me, I switched to an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Stheno wrote: »
    Had the same experience but around my forehead and eyes.

Just didn't suit me, I switched to an alternative.

Thanks. i was kinda hoping it wasn't just my skin! it looked nice on me otherwise. Back to the drawing board I suppose. Did you find any good alternatives?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks. i was kinda hoping it wasn't just my skin! it looked nice on me otherwise. Back to the drawing board I suppose. Did you find any good alternatives?

Yeah I disliked the doublewear for that reason and a couple of others.

I've now switched to Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish and love it, it lasts really well, has decent coverage and feels really light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Have you tried using a primer first and then applying maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Tilly wrote: »

I was told by a make up artist that the patchy spotty things occur as it's got talc in it, so the bottle needs a decent shake before you use it.

• Advertisement

Tilly wrote:

I've tried the smashbox primer. It didn't have any effect on it.

on_my_oe wrote:
    I was told by a make up artist that the patchy spotty things occur as it's got talc in it, so the bottle needs a decent shake before you use it.

I think i tried that once but I'll give it another go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Stheno wrote: »
    Yeah I disliked the doublewear for that reason and a couple of others.

I've now switched to Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish and love it, it lasts really well, has decent coverage and feels really light.

Whats the coverage / staying power compared to double wear?
    I love DW, but it breaks me out terribly :( I had to give it away so I'd stop using it as it was ruining my skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I love DW, but it breaks me out terribly :( I had to give it away so I'd stop using it as it was ruining my skin

This used to happen me because I wasn't scrubbing it off properly. Now I use about 3 different cleansers. An oil one I can't remember the name of, No.7 hot cloth cleanser and then a cleansing balm and my skin is fine.

If I'm every lazy and don't take it off properly I break out.

I find it better tbh as I didn't get any benefit of the DW with the patchiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    This used to happen me because I wasn't scrubbing it off properly. Now I use about 3 different cleansers. An oil one I can't remember the name of, No.7 hot cloth cleanser and then a cleansing balm and my skin is fine.

I'll get cystic acne while wearing it i.e. if I'm at a wedding I'll feel it starting late at night. I don't usually get acne that hurts as such/cystic acne so I know the product doesn't agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

SB_Part2 wrote: »

This is true. The price to be paid for full coverage is that its hard to get off. I use Bioderma Miceller water to take the majority of it off, and then use the clinique gentle foaming cleanser to ensure my skin is fully clean.

Regarding the original question - I think its as simple as some foundations just don't suit some people. Its trial and error. DW works for me, but others don't. Its the same with most beauty and skincare. Once you find what works, just stick to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'll get cystic acne while wearing it i.e. if I'm at a wedding I'll feel it starting late at night. I don't usually get acne that hurts as such/cystic acne so I know the product doesn't agree with me.

Ouch that sounds horrible. Yeh I wouldn't be using anything if it made my skin like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

Try Inglot's HD perfect cover up. Its easier to work than DW and leaves a much longer lasting finish. For me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

For full coverage I love Kat Von D's Lock it tattoo. I've never tried DW though so I can't compare the two.
    But I've never had an issue with it. I can use it with or without primer and setting powder and it lasts and looks good. Usually I use setting powder though.

For full coverage I love Kat Von D's Lock it tattoo. I've never tried DW though so I can't compare the two.
    But I've never had an issue with it. I can use it with or without primer and setting powder and it lasts and looks good. Usually I use setting powder though.

Is Kat Von Dee only available in the States?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I heard rumours Kat von d was coming to Boots but it's all gone quiet - I'd love to try her!

I didn't realise that, sorry. I live in the US. But I can pick up some samples and post them to you if you want to try it? If they work then I can send on the full size bottle.

I didn't realise that, sorry. I live in the US. But I can pick up some samples and post them to you if you want to try it? If they work then I can send on the full size bottle.

That's so sweet of you! :) But I will be heading off to Florida at the end of next month so I'll make a point of searching it out while I'm there!

That's so sweet of you! :) But I will be heading off to Florida at the end of next month so I'll make a point of searching it out while I'm there!

No problem. Head to Sephora when you get there and pick up a sample to try it out. Hope it works for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement