Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman scrolls being deciphered

Options
  • 23-03-2016 12:59am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

"
    Metallic ink was used to inscribe scrolls regarded as an archaeological wonder, according to scientists.
    The discovery pushes back the date for the first use of metallic ink by several centuries.
    The Herculaneum scrolls were buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD79 and are charred and fragile.
    " - http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35865470

These scrolls have been known about for about two centuries, but finally it looks as if some headway on their contents is being made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

A library of about 2,000 scrolls was excavated from one of its villas in the 18th century, of which about 600 remain unopened.

Most are philosophical works in Greek, but other works include a comedy in Latin.

Commenting on the study, Dirk Obbink, Professor of Papyrology and Greek Literature, said: "These are startling findings, if confirmed, charting the wave of the future.

"Until now, I hadn't expected to be able to read any of these scrolls from the inside, without damage to them, in my own lifetime. But now I do."

Sounds thrilling!

I wonder if they are going to be any lost works or authors found, though that's probably hoping for too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Ascendant wrote: »
    Sounds thrilling!

I wonder if they are going to be any lost works or authors found, though that's probably hoping for too much.

Hopefully, I find this stuff fascinating too

Advertisement