Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipads for school.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

To those still in need bits.

Wriggle are looking to rip ya off with the case. At 52 euro.

This is the exact same one which I received last week via parcel motel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152063316751?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quite a bit of profiteering going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ienduredQcon

Why iPad, why not a cheaper Android tablet?

because wriggle are great at selling... no other pad or tablet is offering a complete system. basically if you were to have loads of different devices all with different issues you would end up with one student not being able to download something and the rest would, if they are all the same a lot of times the issue will be for everyone, also you have wriggle to call and say we have an issue, you can basically streamline it. like how its better for everyone to hire a minibus to get somewhere rather than some having expensive trains and others arriving by car and bus and taxi and ther ebeing a whole load of possible variables of complications. whereas if one mini bus breaksdown at least everyone is screwwed together. also apple are brilliant at selling thier wares. but i think its mainly that for parents and the school it feels like this " wriggle will take care of it all " idea is just much less hassle. i know the people at the school we might go to are completely in the dark about features and how to do things online as am i to be honest. and the staff at wriggle seem to have no idea how people are bypassing thier system. also you are buying a device and it has been rendered impotent. there should be no reason that they cant restrict teh apps used during certain hours while allowing the ipad to be anormal ipad later that day. it is a crippled ipad. thats why its slightly cheaper. theres zero reason why you cant use your own laptop or another tablet that can download apps for ipad or ebooks for ipad, except that a laptop cant be managed by wriggle to be restricted. but all the kids have to do apparently and i dont quite understand it is to subsume the apps within another app or something. i dont know how exactly this works but all the kids have snap chat and fb and my kid wants to use it for editing film and animation and has no interest in snapchat, so i am about ready to just homeschool. not only is it a huge expense but i dont agree that its the answer to heavy school bags. years ago kids had small books full of writing, now there are tons of animation pages, work books etc. theres no reason kids cant write down homework from the black board as they did in the old days and no reason they need to heft content light but paper heavy books to and from school like donkeys. also no reason why they should charge the same amount of money as a published book for an ebook that requires no publisher no paper and no distribution. theres so much online for free already which is much better information, more accurate more detailedd, more fun, more of whatever your kid needs to learn, audio, visual, sensory information styles, the books are abysmal. be they on paper or digitized. the information is outdated and just appalling. for instance the history book starts out quite sensibly explaining about sources nad how a historian learns about the world by examining sources. the next ten chapters they tell you all sorts of facts with absolutely no sources!! and the level of what they teach is so incredibly boring, unchallenging, no wonder kids wander onto snap chat. the issue is not what device the material is on but rather the material itself. when the material, is challenging and engaging kids are quite happy to spend hours absorbed into it and work on it, when it is disconnected oversimplifiedd and a list of facts handed to you already chewed up without any need to use yoru own faculties the brain just switches off. we all remember what it was like. we all remember that when we got older and chad acsess to the ful internet we looked up many things we know we were taught at school but had nomemory of, things like the first world war, sudddenly became interesting when we coudl sift through articals and videos online. drudgery, on an exciting ipad, is still drudgery. and that is what we ask kids to do. heres the encyclopedia britanica full of the facts of the world, pictures and all, but you must just sit and copy the contents page like a clerk. well i am glad kids are by passing these restrictions but they shouldnt have to bypass them to find stimulation. andm kids are also losing out on the tasks like memory, learning by rote, other fun ways to test your brains bailities to do things and the brain has many abilities which could be challenged with excersises like this rather than getting rid of all the tediousness and instead trying so hard to be "cool" and fun" like some kind of boring clown making balloon animals. of course kids scoff... its just a wonder why adult parents dont scoff and scorn such nonsense nad swallow it out of not wanting to speak out of make waves.. and of course believing somehwere in the back of their minds that school is supposed to be a hellish bore and that if they were actually interessted in anything they wouldnt be able to get a job without knowing how to sit down shut up swallow precooked facts and dribble them out of the corners of their mouth for na hour at the end of the year to pass an examination of their skills by the same people who invented this dribble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wriggle are owned by Typetec who have been an apple supplier for decades. When they developed the wriggle app it was to help further sales of apple devices for the sister company.

Apple also provide pretty healthy education discounts and do accessories like 30 bay charging carts that others do not. You can also centrally manage and locate and lock down an iPad using one portal.

If android devices were allowed , you would end up with a lot of parents purchasing sub standard devices that were either running older versions of android or did not have the power to run the wriggle app or may not have a big enough battery to last the whole school day or may have a device with a small screen that is useless to the child. There are android tablets on wish for 30 quid, trying to tell a parent who is non technical that the 30 quid tablet is in no way the same as a tablet of 200+ euro that has the power and build quality to survive a school day running the app is just an argument not worth having.

From the software companies perspective, only allowing the very small range of models in the iPad range cuts down on reliability issues, security issues and crashes.

The system is quite good and runs quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AndTheirMum

Does someone know why Wriggle is the only supplier in Dublin (if not the whole country)? See their Google reviews https://tinyurl.com/y8o9fumf . They are clearly abusing their exclusive status.

Is it because nobody else is able to provide this kind of service?

BTW, did you know that in civilized countries, kids of affluent families are protected from technology, while those in the poor environment have technology pushed on them? See an NYT article (October 2018) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/digital-divide-screens-schools.html

It makes me so sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's mentioned right above your post.

I won't be engaging in a mandatory tech supplier for my sons schoolwork, unless it was a significantly reduced leasing plan. I'm not going to purchase a device and give another organisation carte blanche over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 AndTheirMum

It's mentioned right above your post.

The post above says why Apple is better than Android, not why Wriggle is the only supplier. I bet there are other companies that can sell Apple products and are good at sales. Why all schools are using Wriggle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Read the start of it. It has nothing to do with why they are "better."

Advertisement