Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking shin soup from frozen shin?

Options
  • 23-03-2016 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Quick question,

can I make shin soup in the slow cooker without defrosting the shin bones first? (Before anyone asks, I don't have time to defrost them, I'll throw them back in the freezer and make something else instead if not possible)

Thanks in advance
    :P

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We have a strict "no food safety advice" rule, so if you're asking about how safe it would be, nobody here can advise you about cooking meat/bones from frozen.

The Safefood site would be a much more reliable source of advice http://www.safefood.eu/Home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Quick question,

can I make shin soup in the slow cooker without defrosting the shin bones first? (Before anyone asks, I don't have time to defrost them, I'll throw them back in the freezer and make something else instead if not possible)

Thanks in advance
    :P

Post the recipe and I'll tell you if it's ok from a flavour side, as for a safety side that's not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thing is, it could take hours and hours for the whole mix to come up to temperature with big lumps of frozen meat in there. It would work but how long would it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Nothing prevents you from throwing them in the oven if you're in that much of a hurry, and browning the bones a bit will enhance the flavor of the soup, too.

Advertisement