Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Ram is Removed?

Options
  • 23-03-2016 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So im upgraging my pc and am buying new ram. I was wondering what would happen if i replaced excising ram. Would i lose data? or would something else happen?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

No, its cleared when you turn on and off the PC. Just get the right type and check what the motherboard supports. Make sure you unplug the pc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NucularNun

yeah im getting the same brand anyway but am taking out two 4gb rams to put in four 8gbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If you have the motherboard manual you can check the type supported i.e. DDR4 and the limit i.e. 32 gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If you end up going for a Skylake build as per your other thread then the 4x8GB RAM won't be transferrable unless you pick from a few specific motherboards that support Skylake and DDR3 RAM (Skylake is designed for use with DDR4).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NucularNun

I know its DDR4 but i must check the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Okay. DDR4 will not go into your current mobo.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try crucial.com/eu, they have a good memory selector there to make sure you buy the correct memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

By the time you will even use 32gb RAM, never mind needing it, we won't be using DDR4 anymore, and probably not DDR5 either

Stick with 8gb for now, 16 if you really want

Advertisement