Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Industry

Options
  • 23-03-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone get a 2 year visa and find work in the IT industry?
    Not looking for anywhere specific when i go over but I am interested in continuing my career.
    Vancouver seems to be the IT capital of Canada. Also the start up center of Canada too.
    Iv heard that most positions are filled from internal in companies but they must take on new staff at some point.

Regards
    Beerbaron

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

What area of I.T.? I worked as a software developer there for 2 years. Tonnes of jobs in that sector, however the pay isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

SAP Consultant 5 years
    Systems Analyst 4 years
    Java and Performance expert 4 years

Ah jesus yeah you'll have no issues so! SAP are there in Yaletown-ish area too. Tonnes of companies hiring. You'll be grand with that experience. *Edit* I used to interview a lot of people over there for software positions (web dev, full stack dev etc.) and the quality of Canadian candidates is surprisingly low. I wouldn't worry about finding work!

Cheers. I have submitted my application for the IEC so just waiting now.
    I know most companies wont hire someone who is still in Ireland but I will try to get the ball rolling before I go over.
    Are hiring agency any use? never used one in Ireland but over there could be advantageous.

Get onto craiglist, that is how i got my job. Try to connect with recruiters in the Vancouver area on linked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just so you are aware, there's pushback from some companies when they find out you have a temporary open work permit. If you are coming over for longer term (if you plan to stay past the end of your permit) make sure they are aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Lots of IT jobs around- some would say there's a shortage of good talent available. You'll get something!

No harm in applying for positions before you go- I ended up doing all of my interviews for my current job over Skype. You might be able to schedule some interviews for when you arrive.

Explore all avenues for applying for jobs- LinkedIn, Craigslist, applying directly through company websites, Angel.co if you're interested in working for a startup.

Sounds good thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just so you are aware, there's pushback from some companies when they find out you have a temporary open work permit.
    What is "pushback"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Check out techvibes.com once you're over too.

techvibes looks very good thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

I thought Toronto was the tech capital of Canada? I work for an IT company in Calgary and the guys I work with say most of the high paying tech jobs are in Toronto. Calgary was a hot place for IT up until about a year ago when the price of oil dropped.

I got my job through an advertisement on kijiji. Tried applying to a few ad's but didn't hear back.

Be wary of the high cost of living in Vancouver. Ive a friend there whos an electrician and after paying bills and rent he doesnt have much left afterwards to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Actually OP what is your specialities? I work in a place that has taken on IEC holders in the past and I might be able to refer you. PM me if you are interested.

Durag wrote: »
    I thought Toronto was the tech capital of Canada? I work for an IT company in Calgary and the guys I work with say most of the high paying tech jobs are in Toronto. Calgary was a hot place for IT up until about a year ago when the price of oil dropped.

I got my job through an advertisement on kijiji. Tried applying to a few ad's but didn't hear back.

Be wary of the high cost of living in Vancouver. Ive a friend there whos an electrician and after paying bills and rent he doesnt have much left afterwards to save.

From what iv read Vancouver is the IT capital. Must of the start ups are there too. I think that Toronto is the financial and population capitals of Canada. Il keep kijiji in mind thanks. I've also heard about the high cost of Vancouver but its not as high as Dublin IMO.

Vancouver has tonnes of IT startups. Some really cool ones too.

However, I've discovered that the salaries aren't great.

Dublin is much more expensive than Vancouver oddly enough. I moved back in December and I'm in Dublin now.

Rent is a good bit more expensive in Dublin.
    Bills are more expensive (except mobile phones).
    Public transport is extortionate in Dublin and isn't great (If you live near Canada line in Vancouver and work downtown then it is brilliant!). Skytrains arrive every 3 minutes at peak times and a 1 zone monthly pass is $91 (€55??). I know they use compass now so I don't know about that.
    Pubs and restaurants are probably 15-20% dearer in Dublin (I'm including tip)

In Vancouver, things like milk, cheese, chicken, concert/sports tickets are all much more expensive.

Overall, I find that Dublin is more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

It's all relative isn't it? :) I hear a lot of people in Vancouver complaining about tech salaries in relation to the USA, whereas I was pretty happy to see what I would be earning here compared to my previous job. I wouldn't say salaries are fantastic compared to cost of living but we're pretty comfortable. Likewise rents are high compared to elsewhere in Canada but I find it costs less to live here than in Dublin. Phone/internet is expensive but electricity is cheap. No bin or water charges, no paying for heat. I complain about public transport the same as everyone else here but you can get quite far for very little money!

Advertisement