Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Event for kids

Options
  • 23-03-2016 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
    I was hoping to bring 6 year old niece into the city centre over the weekend to take part in the celebrations.

Can anyone recommend any events?
    Flexible for the Sat or Sun or even Mon.

I was thinking of the parade but how early would we need to be there to view it?
    A 6 year old wouldn't be much interested if can't see what's going on.
    (As a side note, I wonder if there's shooting from the GPO at 1.15)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Monday is probably the best day for kids, lots of family events on

https://1916.rte.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Ellejay: over the last few years people were starting to hold there positions at the barriers around The GPO at 9.30/10
    This year I think a lot of these positions are restricted! ,
    I would imagine this year people are going to be holding positions a lot earlier.
    Don't forget the hour goes forward next weekend. It wouldn't surprise me to see some people sleeping at the barrier from after midnight.
    I've decided I'm just gonna watch it on TV as our little one is too small to bring in...she would get trampled on :-(
    Would you consider going to a place where there is a big screen? Smithfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought I read in the festival booklet that most of the area on O'connell street has been reserved for the Sunday parade, mostly for relatives of defence forces personnel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Smithfield tomorrow seems to be a bit more child focused.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/whole-weekend-of-1916-events-planned-389079.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I think its not worth the hassle, I've two kids and with the traffic restrictions trying to bring a family and buggie and bags into town on a bus or train would not make me a happy Easter bunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

woodseb wrote: »
    Monday is probably the best day for kids, lots of family events on

https://1916.rte.ie/

Is this a ticketed event? On line tickets are no longer available. Is there any point going in if you don't have tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

thanks for suggestions
    I didn't realise the events were ticketed, the events i was interested in were sold out.
    Ended up watching it at home.

Think i'll bring her into the GPO one of the weekends and send a postcard to herself.
    Lame, but at least she'll have something!

Advertisement