Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband East Clare Area

• 23-03-2016 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

Im just after moving back to East Clare (Tulla to be exact) and am looking for anyone with experiences with broadband in the area and any advice.

I had a Vodafone Mobile BB modem which worked fine was giving 20mbps but the 50GB limit was useless foe me and the family. Need the unlimited plan.

Thinking of getting Eir, I just got the phone line installed but only getting 0.8mbps now maybe it hasnt been activated for DSL yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Eir Fibre map is showing VDSL (FTTC) is going to be available within the next 6 weeks. Perhaps give it a few weeks before checking the site for availability?

https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Cheers, ya I was on to them.
    FTTC will be availble on the 14th April.

Currently on a rural BB connection 20mb shared between 20 homes.
    How the can call that "Broadband" is a disgrace. False advertising I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

We had Eircom, but it was incredibly slow and unreliable, apparently we were just too far from the hub, so tough. We went with BB Net, a local satellite internet company, and its fantastic. we had a shop in the house at the time, with eircom , it took and hour to put 1 product up, takes 10 mins with BB net. Couldnt fault them. We are just outside tulla, in the mills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

deeduck48 wrote: »
    We had Eircom, but it was incredibly slow and unreliable, apparently we were just too far from the hub, so tough. We went with BB Net, a local satellite internet company, and its fantastic. we had a shop in the house at the time, with eircom , it took and hour to put 1 product up, takes 10 mins with BB net. Couldnt fault them. We are just outside tulla, in the mills.

Sorry to be pedantic but BBnet are a wireless crowd not satellite. And you'd be crazy to pay for wireless if you can get even 8mb DSL as the contention on BBnet and other wireless companies is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

Fair enough, but when you live in the middle of nowhere, and your business depends on you being able to update your website and interact with customers 24/7, you have to go with whats fast, and what works, without having to reset the modem 4 times a day. :D they installed a dish on the outside of our house, so this is why i assumed it was satellite, sorry. eircom were randomly charging us differnt amounts, never the €55, that we originally agreed, where as BBnet are only €35, and even during the worst storms, never a break in cover. im currently online in the kitchen, and the kids are streaming netflix, in the sitting room, all a good 30feet from the modem, and it all working perfectly. We also took great pleasure in telling Eircom where to go :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I am in Tulla and about 6 weeks ago out line was upgraded and we have hi speed broadband, I don't know myself since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Ya Tulla has eir efibre. I have 50mbps solid connection all day its almost like being in a modern country its great :D

Advertisement