Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City an increasingly dangerous place

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Ludo wrote: »
    But you "got away" right? And nothing happened to you. Says more about you than Cork to be honest.
    I did, but i wonder if the group of Italian tourists walking up Shandon Street with selfie sticks did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

xabi wrote: »
    Is pissing in the street and intimidatingly asking for fags acceptable in your eyes? How many pisses in the street is acceptable? I have taken my kids to town early on Saturday mornings, the amount of piss, puke, blood that we have to avoid is very off putting. I'm not making it up, its a filthy place!
    Let me get this straight. You are passing pools of piss, puke, and blood?
    Where? When? Proof? Cause it does sound like you are making it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is pissing in the street and intimidatingly asking for fags acceptable in your eyes? How many pisses in the street is acceptable? I have taken my kids to town early on Saturday mornings, the amount of piss, puke, blood that we have to avoid is very off putting. I'm not making it up, its a filthy place!

So your complaint is with the tidiness of the streets on a Saturday or Sunday morning? You must bring your kids in very very early as the cleaners are out at the crack of dawn.
    I did, but i wonder if the group of Italian tourists walking up Shandon Street with selfie sticks did.

:rolleyes:

Let me get this straight. You are passing pools of piss, puke, and blood?
    Where? When? Proof? Cause it does sound like you are making it up.

Correct, head in early any Saturday morning and see for yourself. Maybe not blood all the time, but definitely piss and puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

We get these weirdos in the Dublin forum all the time lads, they are best ignored. Im off to Cork for the Fran Well Easterfest this weekend, cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would not rate Cork a a dangerous city. Yes, you have drunken idiots at night, and the odd selection of junkies, but that is part of life in a lot of cities. Dublin has all of this in far greater numbers, plus gang-related gun crime. And yet, I wouldn't consider Dublin to be dangerous either.

I'm casting my mind back to 20 years ago when I started in UCC, and my father was so concerned about his eldest daughter going off to University in CORK. I don't think he would have been able for Dublin :)

But in all seriousness, I don't consider Cork any more significantly dangerous than I did then. Drunken fools will always urinate or vomit in the streets. They did it 20 years ago and they will be doing it in 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

You sure the "blood" isn't coffee stains and ketchup...

I haven't honestly seen any source for loads of blood.

A lot of Cork's streets were paved with lighter coloured marble and pink ish granite type stone so you get a more visible stain when someone sloshes a hamburger on the ground or spills a coffee. Disappears rapidly when it rains.

Correct, head in early any Saturday morning and see for yourself. Maybe not blood all the time, but definitely piss and puke.
    I used to live in the city, and have been in there on a number of early mornings.
    You need to live somewhere else. It's amazing you've survived this long.

I used to live in the city, and have been in there on a number of early mornings.
    You need to live somewhere else. It's amazing you've survived this long.

Your idea of cleanliness differs from mine obviously

Your idea of cleanliness differs from mine obviously
    I don't want any of your idea's if you think the city is a disaster zone.
    Lack of cleanliness =/= fear.

/done

• Advertisement

Look, I like Cork and like living here, but you have to admit it has some problems, it is dirty and can be intimidating at night, no denying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Does anyone or any story get properly challenged on these talk in shows?
    I'm not saying they're all made up, but do they ring the local Garda station to verify if a report was made?

It just seems to be too easy for Prenders and PJ to talk about this stuff as if its fact. They are phone in shows after all so when they are completely reliant on stories their credibility takes a tumble.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Does anyone or any story get properly challenged on these talk in shows?
    I'm not saying they're all made up, but do they ring the local Garda station to verify if a report was made?

It just seems to be too easy for Prenders and PJ to talk about this stuff as if its fact. They are phone in shows after all so when they are completely reliant on stories their credibility takes a tumble.

Why would they make it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

Trust me, it's not safe.
    They were referring to the city centre, which really really is safe. I mean, really is. It's not s civic pride thing - it is my experience. God help someone who feels unsafe walking through the centre of Cork of an afternoon, is all I can say.

Feeling unsafe in Shandon - fair enough. At night though - still grand during the day.

Although, maybe men feel less safe because men are more targeted for violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

............listenership generate advertising revenue.

Abuse won't be tolerated here, so don't do it again

Of course they would - those programmes are trash. Trying to turn absolutely everything into "Oh God help us the world is terrible".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't listen to any of that tripe, speak for yourself.......QUOTE]

Enough. If this gets personal, I'm closing the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It generates content for them, increases listenership.

razorblunt wrote: »
    It generates content for them, increases listenership.

Fair enough, quite possible, but I don't listen to them, my experience is first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I'm from Limerick and I visit Cork every so often.

Have always felt that there was less of a visible scumbag element in Cork city in the shopping areas in comparison to Limerick. Can't really speak of the city at night. However it sounds to me that it is similar to the issues in Limerick - a certain rough element in the city whose presence makes other people feel intimidated which is not helped by a complete and utter lack of visible garda presence.

It is not an issue that is in any way exclusive to Cork though, it is the whole country. And 99% of the time, you will be fine even if you do feel intimidated. That doesn't make it any more acceptable for us as a society to tolerate these scumbags but until the justice system is given a complete and utter overhaul there will not be much of a change to the way things are I am afraid.

The best you can do is challenge the local politicians about adequate resources for the gardai, an end to lenient suspended sentences for repeat offenders and demand that we build more jails, because they are badly needed.

Until that happens and we have a modern justice system and a modern well equipped police force with the support of the judiciary you can forget about anything changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I have lived and worked in Cork city and Dublin city for 15 years each approx.Cork city is by far a much safer area.I never had any issues in Cork at all,and I would regularly frequent the city centre between 8pm and 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can't agree with this. Aside from the odd shower of drunken bahwillahs Cork is as relaxed and as easy-going a place as you'll find in Western Europe in this day-and-age. I would say that some people aren't careful enough with important personal items like phones, wallets and such, and should probably be a little more wary when out-and-about at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

You'd see the odd tracksuit wearing scumbag around the place all right especially during the day time but I don't regard town as dangerous, no sir I do not.
    Of course there's a chance you could be unlucky and meet a right piece of crap at 2am walking down douglas street or somewhere but overall in my 40 years I haven't seen alot of trouble in the city
    I saw alot more in 5 years living in Dublin which is a kip (says he to stir the dubs reading this!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Ice Maiden wrote: »
    People demoralised to the brink of self destruction? :confused:

Shandon and Gurranabraher (some of it) are rough areas - always have been.
    I thought the opening poster was referring to the centre of town though?

Overall, Cork is safe. Calling it a dangerous city is setting the bar extremely low for what constitutes dangerous.

I moved to a street just off Shandon around 1.5 years ago and find it grand. Would say I walked around there around 20 times at various times of the day & night before making the move to check out the area.

Before that lived near Douglas St which was fine as well although a bit noisier cause of all the drinking groups that have a love affair with the back of the old FAS building.

According to this Ireland ranks as the fourth safest country in the world.

Cork is probably one the safest cities in Ireland.

You're living in one of the safest cities on the planet.
    Yep.

Of course there will be an element of scumbaggery - I don't think anyone is denying this - but to say the city is a disaster zone is confusion between standard city trouble and disaster zone.

Yeah opus those areas are grand during the day but I would be wary during the night.

Those feckin radio shows and they're scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

gimmick wrote:
    Ya, the name stab city is there as a joke.

Nice to see you using a nickname from the 80s. Things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

I am a Dub living in cork many years , wouldn't be slightest bit nervous in cork at any time and think theres good garda presence at w end.

love winding up my Dub mates about what a kip it is - they like cork but still think Dublins great - Dubs think junkies being all around the place is a normal thing rather than it being really scary.

was getting money out of atm outside at of blanchardstown shopping centre one summers evening and there was a junkie coming towards me - had to get my mate to watch my back. Really made me realise how I take peace of mind for granted in cork and how its not just confined to city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Gardai had to use pepper spray the other night to break up a scrap female garda assaulted -cork city center

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Gardai had to use pepper spray the other night to break up a scrap female garda assaulted -cork city center

Gardai/Police had to use pepper spray the other night to break up a scrap female garda assaulted - every city with pop. of over 100,000 every weekend, get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

And at least it was broken up - outside voodoo / grafton seems to be main place but always lots of Guards around - maybe some people aren't able to spot unmarked cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement